• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Learning from those who critique you.

firedragon

Veteran Member
For the longest time i can remember i disliked being critiques, and not only when it comes to religious practice, but in daily life too. But in the last few months something changed within me. Not that i love being critiqued for my belief or thoughts :D But the reaction i gained is to not be frustrated or angry at those who may see the world different than i do. Instead of taking it as critique of me, i try to understad where the other person coming from and why they have their understanding or view of the topic. It has helped me calm down in discussion or debate. and i can actually learn about my own inner being from those who critique what i say or write.

How is that for you? Do you take critique well? or do you have to fight for your views and beliefs to feel whole?
Do you get to fast ticked off by those who critique you?

If yes. why?

For me, criticism does not mean you insult some theology or anything for that matter. Criticism is an established academic endeavour that has brought about what we have today and will bring about more in the future. Without criticism we will not have the Bible we have today. Without criticism we will not have Ulum ul hadeeth. In fact, the usool is all about "criticism". A critique is a person who takes an academic approach. It does not mean insult. And many people think criticism is insulting or is there a better word? "FINDING FAULT"? No. Criticism is not finding fault with someone else's theology. Thats an absolutely wrong notion.

So that is my view.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I like that. That's excellent. I get that a lot from @stvdv and I appreciate it. He may not know that I read him loud and clear, but I'm often way ahead of him. :D
:cool:

I think that is one of the good things of Religion, that we do a lot of introspection, because we like to emulate behavior of the Wise; our Teachers

His reminders are good, to keep me in check, because I do get out of line... sometimes. ;) Thanks @stvdv
t2007.gif
:praying:

My reminders are also good for me, because I also get out of line, esp. out of Divine Line:(. But gradually I do see myself slowly improving:)

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
For me, criticism does not mean you insult some theology or anything for that matter. Criticism is an established academic endeavour that has brought about what we have today and will bring about more in the future. Without criticism we will not have the Bible we have today. Without criticism we will not have Ulum ul hadeeth. In fact, the usool is all about "criticism". A critique is a person who takes an academic approach. It does not mean insult. And many people think criticism is insulting or is there a better word? "FINDING FAULT"? No. Criticism is not finding fault with someone else's theology. Thats an absolutely wrong notion.
Criticism might be a deep down urge to get to the truth

So that is my view.
I like that

firedragon

Veteran Member
Criticism might be a deep down urge to get to the truth

I like that

No bro. Criticism is a neutral endeavour. At least, you try to be neutral. Sometimes Christians practice a method called methodological naturalism just to be neutral in their approach. So do Muslims. These two I know, and I dont know about other theologies.

So it is a science. Like Textual Criticism. Bruce Metzger is a Textual Critique. One of the best. But he is a conservative christian. So he is practicing the science of textual criticism.

A drama critique writes a lot of great things about drama's.

GardenLady

Personally, I think I take critique well, but react badly to attack. My preference is to think of debate as people kicking a soccer ball around, not people kicking one another around.

Fallen Prophet

For the longest time i can remember i disliked being critiqued, and not only when it comes to religious practice, but in daily life too. But in the last few months something changed within me. Not that i love being critiqued for my belief or thoughts :D But the reaction i gained is to not be frustrated or angry at those who may see the world different than i do. Instead of taking it as critique of me, i try to understad where the other person coming from and why they have their understanding or view of the topic. It has helped me calm down in discussion or debate. and i can actually learn about my own inner being from those who critique what i say or write.

How is that for you? Do you take critique well? or do you have to fight for your views and beliefs to feel whole?

If yes. why?
I love being critiqued.

It gives me an opportunity to prove that someone's wrong.

Oh the joy! :D

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I love being critiqued.

It gives me an opportunity to prove that someone's wrong.

Oh the joy! :D
The critique often leave me thinking, Did i really miss something from the teaching? Am I the one who was wrong even i believe the way i do? Then i go back to the teaching and study, but what actually happens is that i learn more about myself then about new wisdom :)

Clara Tea

For the longest time i can remember i disliked being critiqued, and not only when it comes to religious practice, but in daily life too. But in the last few months something changed within me. Not that i love being critiqued for my belief or thoughts :D But the reaction i gained is to not be frustrated or angry at those who may see the world different than i do. Instead of taking it as critique of me, i try to understad where the other person coming from and why they have their understanding or view of the topic. It has helped me calm down in discussion or debate. and i can actually learn about my own inner being from those who critique what i say or write.

If yes. why?

It helps to hit a pillow (if you have a gun, you can shoot it).

InvestigateTruth

If yes. why?
If the criticism is fair and honest, I am OK with it. If the point being made is true, and make me know or Learn something new, I even appreciate it.
If it doesn't seem to be a fair critique then I just ignore it.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Humans, with exception of believers, are not sincere to the truth. They accept what they like and reject what they don't like and the sorcery embraces them and doesn't let them see with mental clarity, and proofs don't matter for most people. We inherited culture where we don't want to unite on truth but everyone leave everyone to their false ways. Those who claim to believe in hell, are also people, who don't care how many fall to it and have stopped trying to save others.

The sincere to the truth, who listen for the sake of learning truth and leaving falsehood, are so few. Most people use God and his Messengers as idols to follow their leaders and worship the Dunya and Satanic identity. There is very few who take God and his chosen as reliable guidance and don't mix falsehood with their truth and don't mix unclean sources with pure streams of knowledge.

Because humans are influenced by how "majority" act, and majority are in a state where truth is not that important to them, even Muslims, truth is almost completely hidden. The reality of the word of light and God's guidance is known to so few.

The truth is also so easy to see and clear, if people were sincere to the truth.

Clara Tea

I do have a pillow :) But i will not use guns

Christians, who follow God's instructions, turn the other cheek when insulted, and they are meek, mild, and friendly.

But few Christians (if any) follow God's instructions. There is always something "more important" to do. When the Al Qaeda destroyed the World Trade Center (911 attack), it made the US a sitting duck, waiting for the next attack. The Al Qaeda had previously used truck bombs to try to destroy those buildings, so we know that the terrorist attack was not just an isolated incident.

Fear motivated the US to not turn the other cheek, but to take the war to the enemy, which was embedded in civilian population, deeply ensconced with women and children. To hit the terrorists, women and children would have to become collateral damage (civilians killed).

Arab terrorists were no strangers to dead civilians. One well known trick was to strap bombs to their own little 5-year-old boys and have them toddle to the American soldiers to get chocolate bars....then boom, the bomb goes off and kills soldiers. Soldiers, knowing this, have been forced to kill little boys who refused to stop when told to.

Fighting such terrorists have forced US troops to ignore the teachings of God.

A nation can be no more moral than it's leadership. If the leaders insist on drafting troops, insist on resorting to nuclear bombs (as President W. Bush said he was about to do), making torture camps (to save lives by getting better intel, presumably), and attacking nations without clear evidence of linkage to terrorism, then the soldiers (and voters) who follow these leaders can't be moral either.

Not a single follower of Hitler's Nazis could be moral if they knew of the carnage and cruelty. One cannot be more moral than the leader that they follow.

The anger that we feel in arguments is very similar to the anger that we feel about terrorism, and the need to follow God's lead is just as great.

With 20-20 hindsight, we can see that the news stories swamped the senses following the 911 attack.

Coverage of the planes hitting the towers were the only things that people paid attention to. Dan Rather, tears in his eyes, said that he lost several good friends in the 911 attack and we must counter-attack the enemy before we lose the nerve to do so.

Swamped with news, the actual facts were buried. The fact was, the Taliban was on the side of the United States, and against terrorists. Nine days after the 911 attack, the Taliban had captured bin Laden, and his key aides, and had offered to turn them over to the United States if they could prove linkage to terrorism. They feared that the US was trigger happy following such a tragic event, and they wanted cooler heads to prevail. This info was buried in the press. The Taliban didn't perform fast enough for President W. Bush, so W. Bush attacked his own allies, and the US has been fighting a war there ever since. How can we say "I'm sorry" for attacking the wrong nation after so much has been done? Why hasn't any president since realized the mistake and corrected it? Are the Taliban now our permanent enemies, having attacked them as we did?

We have seen, in our lifetimes, Satan in action. We've seen Satan's fear motivate wars (fear of future terrorism, and leaders who use that fear (Orange Alerts frequently giving to the US) to continue to motivate the nation to war.

We've seen Satan's greed motivate the war, as well, and watched as the rich got tax breaks (and no trickle down to the working class). The tax breaks allowed factories to build abroad, taking with them US jobs, and manufacturing poor quality products with cheap foreign labor. These are all consequences of following Satan, and God knew it, and God warned us not to follow in the path of Satan.

If we don't control anger (in a war or a debate) we risk following Satan.

So, just say I'm right (joking).

Arguments perpetuate.
Israel blames Palestine for attacks, and Palestine blames Israel for previous attacks, and Israel blames Palestine for previous attacks, etc. The trick is to forget the past and talk about today as the first step toward the future. Resolve to make peace.

Some people inherently are wrong. The Mafia, for example, cannot possibly be right. So, why would it be wrong to tell the Mafia that they are wrong to kill and steal? Surely telling someone that they are wrong is permissible, and necessary (though God doesn't want us to judge). If we don't judge Satan, we run the risk of following him.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

If yes. why?
Even invalid criticism is an opportunity to improve.
One decides how to react in a manner to achieve one's goals.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Even invalid criticism is an opportunity to improve.
One decides how to react in a manner to achieve one's goals.
Yes, there is always a posability to learn from others. even those who critique us. since if they do something wrong to us, it is possible to understand that that form of action or speech is not fruitful for our own way of life, But we do not need to answer them same bad way of speaking or acting

John1.12

Free gift

If yes. why?
When we become emotionally attached to our presuppositions and someone attacks them, then we can feel as if they are attacking us personally. As I go through the bible I try recognise my bias and presups , be aware of them and drop them when necessary .