• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jail or execution for a priest?

Skwim

Veteran Member
I thought the following from the article is very telling, not that it's anything new,

"A 95-year-old Catholic priest admitted to sexually abusing boys decades ago on Guam. He said he confessed his sins to other priests on the island at the time but none told him to specifically stop."

What a god-awful sickening excuse. It's almost childish. "Gee, no one told me not to stop playing with fire so I figured that burning down the house was just fine."

What is it with the mind set of Catholic clergy? There must be some kind of study on people who chose the life-style, and those who commit child abuse. Do those who become priests come with such predilections, or does the priesthood foster it? Or is it a combination of the two?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited:

Eliab ben Benjamin

Premium Member
I thought the following from the article is very telling, not that's anything new,

"A 95-year-old Catholic priest admitted to sexually abusing boys decades ago on Guam. He said he confessed his sins to other priests on the island at the time but none told him to specifically stop."

What god-awful sickening excuse. It's almost childish. "Gee, no one told me not to stop playing with fire so I figured that burning down the house was just fine."

What is it with the mind set of Catholic clergy? There must be some kind of study on people who chose the life-style, and those who commit child abuse. Do those who become priests come with such predilections, or does the priesthood foster it? Or is it a combination of the two?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Personal hypothesis : In a culture where Intimacy is restricted and homophobia prevalent.
a young man with these unacceptable predilections may consider that the Priesthood is
a cure or shelter and rush towards it, to later find the vows do not remove the inclinations,
but rather provide opportunity ...
I believe the vow of chastity should have been sufficient to preclude ALL such activity.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Personal hypothesis : In a culture where Intimacy is restricted and homophobia prevalent.
a young man with these unacceptable predilections may consider that the Priesthood is
a cure or shelter and rush towards it, to later find the vows do not remove the inclinations,
but rather provide opportunity ...
A likely possibility indeed.

I believe the vow of chastity should have been sufficient to preclude ALL such activity.
Really. Remember what Robert Frost said: "The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft a-gley.”

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/08/05/priest-says-was-told-to-says-prayers-for-abusing-boys.html

Priest says he was told to say prayers for abusing boys.

Evidently he was just told to pray for boys he'd molested.
Really?
It's disgusting when a person in a position of trust violates that office in such a horrific
manner.
I know of no punishment to fit that kind of crime that is severe enough.
Skim the story and post your thoughts if you would please.
In a departure from my general approach to justice & punishment, I recommend the following.....
- Church assets should be sold off, & the proceeds divided among the victims.
- The offending priest should be slowly & publicly tortured to death.
- The priests who knew of his abuse, & tolerated it should get a lesser punishment....a quick but horrible death.
- This should include all clergy all the way up the chain.
- Big hats do not confer immunity.

A message needs to be sent.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
In a departure from my general approach to justice & punishment, I recommend the following.....
- Church assets should be sold off, & the proceeds divided among the victims.
- The offending priest should be slowly & publicly tortured to death.
- The priests who knew of his abuse, & tolerated it should get a lesser punishment....a quick but horrible death.
- This should include all clergy all the way up the chain.
- Big hats do not confer immunity.

A message needs to be sent.

NO! Absolutely not!
Not harsh enough!!!!:p

Milton Platt

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/08/05/priest-says-was-told-to-says-prayers-for-abusing-boys.html

Priest says he was told to say prayers for abusing boys.

Evidently he was just told to pray for boys he'd molested.
Really?
It's disgusting when a person in a position of trust violates that office in such a horrific
manner.
I know of no punishment to fit that kind of crime that is severe enough.
Skim the story and post your thoughts if you would please.

Share your disgust, but against the death penalty generally. We do not have a perfect system and things go wrong. You can't undo "dead" when you realize you made a mistake.