• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Its hard to take scriptures serious with verses like these

popsthebuilder

Many believe that the scriptures are perfect and every word is true, which I certainly don't believe, It is plain to see that there is much contradiction, there is also horrible stories that only a psychopath could follow.
If they were perfect then there would have never been additional testimonies or revelations or Prophets or messengers.

Inerrant truth has no contradiction. And though the direction of man by the will of GOD is without contradiction; the inspired word of GOD as interpreted by man can seem to have them. Again one must consider the time and necessity of whatever age said scripture was initially intended for.

I can understand you protesting the idea of utter truth within scripture. But that isn't the same as claiming that moral direction that is wholly benevolent can't too be found. Of course, little more than confusion can be found by those assuming literal interpretation, or even some of the newer uhm... translations.

The whole bible and quran speak of selflessness, mercy, and equality, as do the vast majority of other sacred texts. Again; ignoring these facts in favor of confusion masked as righteousness is flawed.

peace

psychoslice

Veteran Member
If they were perfect then there would have never been additional testimonies or revelations or Prophets or messengers.

Inerrant truth has no contradiction. And though the direction of man by the will of GOD is without contradiction; the inspired word of GOD as interpreted by man can seem to have them. Again one must consider the time and necessity of whatever age said scripture was initially intended for.

I can understand you protesting the idea of utter truth within scripture. But that isn't the same as claiming that moral direction that is wholly benevolent can't too be found. Of course, little more than confusion can be found by those assuming literal interpretation, or even some of the newer uhm... translations.

The whole bible and quran speak of selflessness, mercy, and equality, as do the vast majority of other sacred texts. Again; ignoring these facts in favor of confusion masked as righteousness is flawed.

peace
The whole ??.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
You must be referring to the ot. Though it speaks of past occurrences of violence, it ultimately always goes back to mercy and selflessness.

Yes; the bible as a single book ultimately proclaimed mercy and equity, as does the Quran.

peace
There is a whole bag of tricks in both those scriptures, I don't want to be fooled by ant of them.

popsthebuilder

Psalm: 98. 7. Let the sea roar, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein. 8. Let the floods clap their hands: let the hills be joyful together 9. Before the LORD; for he cometh to judge the earth: with righteousness shall he judge the world, and the people with equity. - Bible Offline

Psalm: 99. 4. The king's strength also loveth judgment; thou dost establish equity, thou executest judgment and righteousness in Jacob. - Bible Offline

Proverbs: 1. 3. To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity; 4. To give subtilty to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion. 5. A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels: 6. To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings. 7. The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction. 8. My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother: 9. For they shall be an ornament of grace unto thy head, and chains about thy neck. 10. My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not. 11. If they say, Come with us, let us lay wait for blood, let us lurk privily for the innocent without cause: 12. Let us swallow them up alive as the grave; and whole, as those that go down into the pit: 13. We shall find all precious substance, we shall fill our houses with spoil: 14. Cast in thy lot among us; let us all have one purse: 15. My son, walk not thou in the way with them; refrain thy foot from their path: 16. For their feet run to evil, and make haste to shed blood. 17. Surely in vain the net is spread in the sight of any bird. 18. And they lay wait for their own blood; they lurk privily for their own lives. 19. So are the ways of every one that is greedy of gain; which taketh away the life of the owners thereof. 33. But whoso hearkeneth unto me shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil. - Bible Offline

Genesis: 19. 19. Behold now, thy servant hath found grace in thy sight, and thou hast magnified thy mercy, which thou hast shewed unto me in saving my life; and I cannot escape to the mountain, lest some evil take me, and I die: - Bible Offline

Genesis: 24. 27. And he said, Blessed be the LORD God of my master Abraham, who hath not left destitute my master of his mercy and his truth: I being in the way, the LORD led me to the house of my master's brethren. - Bible Offline

Genesis: 39. 21. But the LORD was with Joseph, and shewed him mercy, and gave him favour in the sight of the keeper of the prison. - Bible Offline

Zechariah: 7. 9. Thus speaketh the LORD of hosts, saying, Execute true judgment, and shew mercy and compassions every man to his brother: 10. And oppress not the widow, nor the fatherless, the stranger, nor the poor; and let none of you imagine evil against his brother in your heart. - Bible Offline

Habakkuk: 3. 2. O LORD, I have heard thy speech, and was afraid: O LORD, revive thy work in the midst of the years, in the midst of the years make known; in wrath remember mercy. - Bible Offline

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Oh yeah? Perhaps you could list a few of these "tricks".
In this verse, Samuel, one of the early leaders of Israel, orders genocide against a neighbouring people:

“This is what the Lord Almighty says... ‘Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’” (1 Samuel 15:3)

The ending of Psalm 137, a psalm which was made into a disco calypso hit by Boney M, is often omitted from readings in church:

“Happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us – he who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks.” (Psalm 137:9)

Another blood-curdling tale from the Book of Judges, where an Israelite man is trapped in a house by a hostile crowd, and sends out his concubine to placate them:

“So the man took his concubine and sent her outside to them, and they raped her and abused her throughout the night, and at dawn they let her go. At daybreak the woman went back to the house where her master was staying, fell down at the door and lay there until daylight. When her master got up in the morning and opened the door of the house and stepped out to continue on his way, there lay his concubine, fallen in the doorway of the house, with her hands on the threshold. He said to her, ‘Get up; let’s go.’ But there was no answer. Then the man put her on his donkey and set out for home.” (Judges 19:25-28)

“Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.” (1 Peter 2:18)

This just goes on and on, I could fill a book up with it all.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
In any case, I don't recognize anyone as an adherent to any religion until and unless they accept the duty to validate and explain when and how their scriptures apply and fail to. If at all possible, they should also write some of their own, in their own words. That is the only way for scripture to truly be useful as opposed to a dangerous drawback.

I like what you have to say, not because I agree with it, but because it is a clear and well considered response. It may well be as hard for me to imagine a life without scripture as it is for you to imagine a life where you are dependant on it. I am a Baha'i where the independant investigation of reality is a fundamental teaching.

Its not hard to look around the world and see why people are frustrated with organised religion, particularly the Abrahamic Faiths. It is unlikely that they will go away in a hurry. Perhaps as Einstein brought a new theory of relativity that challenged many of the assumptions of a Newtionian view, a new and revolutionary approach to viewing religion and scripture is not only possible but well advanced as we speak. In that way we don't abandon the enormous enrichment to humanity these Faiths have brought. That is the hope for me, but also in those like yourself who can respectfully challenge that which is now fit for the fire.

Interestingly there is a verse in Mathew 13:24-30 that captures beautifully this very reality:

Jesus told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field. But while everyone was sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and went away. When the wheat sprouted and formed heads, then the weeds also appeared.

“The owner’s servants came to him and said, ‘Sir, didn’t you sow good seed in your field? Where then did the weeds come from?’

“‘An enemy did this,’ he replied.

“The servants asked him, ‘Do you want us to go and pull them up?’

“‘No,’ he answered, ‘because while you are pulling the weeds, you may uproot the wheat with them. Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn.’”

One interpretation is that the weeds are the religious dogmas and doctrines that have had their day.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Ha, we all have that problem sometimes, but I thought you could work that out, you naughty boy.

I think it's okay to fool around like that every once in a while. My life is so boring I find myself doing stuff like that from time to time. Sorry about that.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I think it's okay to fool around like that every once in a while. My life is so boring I find myself doing stuff like that from time to time. Sorry about that.
Na, its Ok, I just don't like people taking everything so seriously, even their religion, if your afraid of your religion then ditch it for your own good, not you though, your my favorite Muslim, I wish many more were like you.

Notanumber

A Free Man
That should be "you're".

Kidding :D

Seriously tho... I'm glad I'm not afraid of my religion :)

Can I ask if you are afraid to ask searching questions of your religions leaders?

Would you ask them some of the questions that have been asked on here?

popsthebuilder

1 Samual 15:3 and Psalm 137:9 are speaking of equal treatment or the golden rule.

If a thing rules over you it is better to abide peaceably than to revolt, as the latter would cause more grief than the former.