• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Its hard to take scriptures serious with verses like these

psychoslice

Veteran Member
That should be "you're".

Kidding :D

Seriously tho... I'm glad I'm not afraid of my religion :)
Definition of your
  1. 1: of or relating to you or yourself or yourselves especially as possessor or possessors <yourbodies>, agent or agents <your contributions>, or object or objects of an action <yourdischarge>

2. 2: of or relating to one or oneself <when you face the north, east is at your right>

3. 3—used with little or no meaning almost as an equivalent to the definite article the <yourtypical teenager>
    Yes I am glad your not afraid.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
The Number 1 Funniest Bible Verse is: God can be a real pain in the rear! 1 Samuel 5:9.

The hand of the LORD was against the city with a very great destruction; and He smote the men of the city, both small and great, and they had hemorrhoids in their secret parts. – 1 Samuel 5:9 21st Century King James Version
Talk about embarassing! Or is it em-bare-assing? 2 Samuel 10:4.

Therefore Hanun took David’s servants, shaved off half of their beards, cut off their garments in the middle, at their buttocks, and sent them away. – 2 Samuel 10:4 NKJV

When pigs fly, uh, I mean when donkeys talk. Numbers 22:28-30.

Then the LORD opened the mouth of the donkey, and she said to Balaam, “What have I done to you, that you have struck me these three times?” And Balaam said to the donkey, “Because you have abused me. I wish there were a sword in my hand, for now I would kill you!” So the donkey said to Balaam, “Am I not your donkey on which you have ridden, ever since I became yours, to this day? Was I ever disposed to do this to you?” And he said, “No.” – Numbers 22:28-30 NKJV

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Feeling hungry, just throw your son on the B-B-Q, yummy.

"So we boiled my son, and did eat him: and I said unto her on the next day, Give thy son, that we may eat him: and she hath hid her son."

— 2 KINGS 6:29

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Should you be letting you children read the bible ?.

Ezekiel 23:19-20

"Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt. There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses."

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Can I ask if you are afraid to ask searching questions of your religions leaders?

Would you ask them some of the questions that have been asked on here?

Could you rephrase (paraphrase) the first question? I don't get what you mean.

As for asking them those, I never really thought about it. But judging by my shy personality, I might and might not, depending on the content. Most likely, anyway, I already have answers to those questions, or can find the them myself being an Arab, to not need to ask.

But how can we relate the above to fearing the religion, if I may ask?

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Definition of your
  1. 1: of or relating to you or yourself or yourselves especially as possessor or possessors <yourbodies>, agent or agents <your contributions>, or object or objects of an action <yourdischarge>

2. 2: of or relating to one or oneself <when you face the north, east is at your right>

3. 3—used with little or no meaning almost as an equivalent to the definite article the <yourtypical teenager>
    Yes I am glad your not afraid.

You know, you gave me a great idea for a new thread... stay tuned ;)

Notanumber

A Free Man
Could you rephrase (paraphrase) the first question? I don't get what you mean.

As for asking them those, I never really thought about it. But judging by my shy personality, I might and might not, depending on the content. Most likely, anyway, I already have answers to those questions, or can find the them myself being an Arab, to not need to ask.

But how can we relate the above to fearing the religion, if I may ask?

No doubt, some Islamists are glad that they are not afraid of their religion, but would they have reason to become afraid if they started to question their leaders about it.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
No doubt, some Islamists are glad that they are not afraid of their religion, but would they have reason to become afraid if they started to question their leaders about it.

Hmm... I guess it depends on the policy their leaders follow in taking questions. I don't really have an answer for that.

Notanumber

A Free Man
Hmm... I guess it depends on the policy their leaders follow in taking questions. I don't really have an answer for that.

Thanks for answering, but I have another question.

If I was a Muslim and started to ask my Imam questions similar to those that I have asked on this forum would I need to fear my religion?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I'm embarrassed by Scripture...I hope you understand Lord, I can't help that it simply appears ridiculous to me. Are people supposed to pretend it doesn't?

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Thanks for answering, but I have another question.

If I was a Muslim and started to ask my Imam questions similar to those that I have asked on this forum would I need to fear my religion?

Sure thing, ask anything.

As far as I know and been thru, no questions of any kinds are a cause of concern. If you have some kind of people or regimes in mind, it could be their nature in anything. Islam as a religion allows any kinds of questions. People are another story.

What kind of questions did you ask any that made you think of all this anyway?

Notanumber

A Free Man
Sure thing, ask anything.

As far as I know and been thru, no questions of any kinds are a cause of concern. If you have some kind of people or regimes in mind, it could be their nature in anything. Islam as a religion allows any kinds of questions. People are another story.

What kind of questions did you ask any that made you think of all this anyway?

Can I refer you to this, including the comments section?

UKIP peer: Christianity can be challenged, but not Islam - Premier Christian Radio

I hope you will understand my concerns.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Can I refer you to this, including the comments section?

UKIP peer: Christianity can be challenged, but not Islam - Premier Christian Radio

I hope you will understand my concerns.

Hmm, now that I thought about it, I think I know what you mean.

I do see debates against Islam on Youtube tho and the Muslim side just answers back normally without any objections. I believe it is a Muslim thing, not an Islam thing. The Quran does say "and argue with them in a good way" (Quran 16:125). I believe at some point Christianity was seen the same way, if not even seen worse.

Thanks for the link. I'll have a look at it.

Did you have a bad experience with Islam?

Notanumber

A Free Man
Hmm, now that I thought about it, I think I know what you mean.

I do see debates against Islam on Youtube tho and the Muslim side just answers back normally without any objections. I believe it is a Muslim thing, not an Islam thing. The Quran does say "and argue with them in a good way" (Quran 16:125). I believe at some point Christianity was seen the same way, if not even seen worse.

Thanks for the link. I'll have a look at it.

Did you have a bad experience with Islam?

Would you mind having a look at this link and let us have your thoughts?

You are being redirected...

Consider Chapter 9 of the Koran, which governs the interaction between Muslims and non-Muslims. Particularly Sura 9:29

[9.29] Fight those who do not believe in Allah, nor in the latter day, nor do they prohibit what Allah and His Apostle have prohibited, nor follow the religion of truth, out of those who have been given the Book, until they pay the tax in acknowledgment of superiority and they are in a state of subjection.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Would you mind having a look at this link and let us have your thoughts?

You are being redirected...

Consider Chapter 9 of the Koran, which governs the interaction between Muslims and non-Muslims. Particularly Sura 9:29

[9.29] Fight those who do not believe in Allah, nor in the latter day, nor do they prohibit what Allah and His Apostle have prohibited, nor follow the religion of truth, out of those who have been given the Book, until they pay the tax in acknowledgment of superiority and they are in a state of subjection.

Non Muslim countries around the world already ban stuff Islam allows; e.g. marrying more than one wife in USA. Banning a religion would mean that a follower of that religion will not be allowed to live there as long as they are following that religion. The same goes with any other religion and even non-religious ways of life. Things are banned that can be found in those too. I think one good approach then is that they ban what they don't approve of in Islam instead of banning it completely.

As for verses like the above provided one, there are verses that govern them like this one: "Fight in the way of God those who fight you (which means not anyone, and to fight back to defend) but do not transgress (even then, do it without going overboard?), Indeed Allah does not like transgressors (an Islamic teaching to not cross lines?)" (Quran 2:190), this one: "but if they cease, then there is to be no aggression except against the oppressors" (Quran 2:192), and a similar verse to the one you provided ends with: "if they fight you, then you fight them" (last part of Quran 2:191) to specifically govern it. There is also a general verse that says: "God does not forbid you from those who do not fight you because of religion and do not expel you from your homes - from being righteous and kind toward them and acting justly toward them. Indeed, God loves those who act justly." (Quran 60:8). The Quran is a collections of teachings and laws that govern each other. It is true that some verses give violent teachings, but those teachings don't stand and apply on their own; they are governed with other verses too. Those teachings also are believed to have been revealed in stages and within contexts to put emphasis on acts needed at those specific times. We can't take general teachings from some verses alone since the Quran is a whole complete unit now.

If the verse you provided does imply that Muslims have to always kill non Muslims, then at least Saudi Arabia would not even allow non Muslims to enter and work. As for the tribute/tax, they are not required here. The fees they pay to stay here are based on secular laws that every expat has to pay it equally even Muslim ones.

Notanumber

A Free Man
Non Muslim countries around the world already ban stuff Islam allows; e.g. marrying more than one wife in USA. Banning a religion would mean that a follower of that religion will not be allowed to live there as long as they are following that religion. The same goes with any other religion and even non-religious ways of life. Things are banned that can be found in those too. I think one good approach then is that they ban what they don't approve of in Islam instead of banning it completely.

As for verses like the above provided one, there are verses that govern them like this one: "Fight in the way of God those who fight you (which means not anyone, and to fight back to defend) but do not transgress (even then, do it without going overboard?), Indeed Allah does not like transgressors (an Islamic teaching to not cross lines?)" (Quran 2:190), this one: "but if they cease, then there is to be no aggression except against the oppressors" (Quran 2:192), and a similar verse to the one you provided ends with: "if they fight you, then you fight them" (last part of Quran 2:191) to specifically govern it. There is also a general verse that says: "God does not forbid you from those who do not fight you because of religion and do not expel you from your homes - from being righteous and kind toward them and acting justly toward them. Indeed, God loves those who act justly." (Quran 60:8). The Quran is a collections of teachings and laws that govern each other. It is true that some verses give violent teachings, but those teachings don't stand and apply on their own; they are governed with other verses too. Those teachings also are believed to have been revealed in stages and within contexts to put emphasis on acts needed at those specific times. We can't take general teachings from some verses alone since the Quran is a whole complete unit now.

If the verse you provided does imply that Muslims have to always kill non Muslims, then at least Saudi Arabia would not even allow non Muslims to enter and work. As for the tribute/tax, they are not required here. The fees they pay to stay here are based on secular laws that every expat has to pay it equally even Muslim ones.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to answer, but it only emphasises the fact that Islam is a violent religion / political ideology.

Teaching your followers to turn the other cheek would be much better than of all this talk of fighting.

The Koran can be interpreted to suit any situation in any way that is deemed appropriate at any particular time.

I wonder if Donald Trump and his team are aware of the Communist Control Act of 1954 and the Internal Security Act of 1950.

American History Documents II

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Thanks again for taking the trouble to answer, but it only emphasises the fact that Islam is a violent religion / political ideology.

Teaching your followers to turn the other cheek would be much better than of all this talk of fighting.

The Koran can be interpreted to suit any situation in any way that is deemed appropriate at any particular time.

I wonder if Donald Trump and his team are aware of the Communist Control Act of 1954 and the Internal Security Act of 1950.

You're welcome!

I'm afraid this world is not a perfect peaceful world. Islam is meant to be in the middle, no opening doors for offenders to murder and rape people while watching doing nothing on the one hand, nor just transgress and eradicate every single obstacle with pure force on the other to get along with this world. Some might think that know the world is peaceful and that pacifism and turning the other cheek is always the right thing to do, but that's not true and if that was adopted in the past by some people, they would have been erased from the face of the planet with no mercy. It is believed in Islam that a good teaching should cover both cases when forgiveness is good thing or when force is needed. Pacifism could be a destruction one brings on themselves, and pacifism and peace are not the same thing. Turning the other cheek is not justice even tho it is there in Islam in many verses like "but whoever pardons and makes reconciliation - his reward is from God. Indeed, He does not like wrongdoers".

People should know when and how to forgive turning the other cheek, and when and how to use force when needed. Sticking with only one of the extremes means the balance is lost. Islam is kinda similar to Christianity that teaches forgiveness but at the same time talks about fighting and violence in many places if taken out of context and focused on those verses only, one thinks Christianity is only about violence and fighting.

Last edited: