1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Isaiah 53 Suffering Servant

Discussion in 'Biblical Debates' started by sooda, Apr 9, 2019.

1. MJFlores

MJFlores Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +236
    Religion:
    Iglesia Ni Cristo (Church of Christ)
    I don't know how to respond to a Muslim quoting a Rabbi's complaint about Christian doctrines.
    Maybe I will ask a Buddhist or a Hindu.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,233
    Religion:
    Christian
    Ezekiel (Yechezkel) was a prophet who lived in Babylonia at the time of the destruction of the First Temple.

So he lived after King David?????

3. wizanda

wizanda One Accepts All Religious Texts
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,615
    Religion:
    Øneness
    Reading the Bible like it is all a history book is a problem, as some of it is prophetic poetry using scatting across time, and thus we have to use keyword referencing to establish exegesis; not just guess on some historical whim.

The prophets speak as a unified whole, and only by using Strongs numbers, can we see the levels of intertextuality needed to understand the code - if we consider humans created computer languages, using advanced layers of structuring, the Bible works the same.

In my opinion. :innocent:

4. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,233
    Religion:
    Christian
    I don't know what your computer remarks mean.. How did Ezekiel PREDICT King David after the fact?

5. wizanda

wizanda One Accepts All Religious Texts
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,615
    Religion:
    Øneness
    Prophecy by its very nature, means to predict the future.

In my opinion.
    :innocent:

6. rosends

rosends Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,065
    Religion:
    Jewish
    So you made a claim that Israel was not referred to as male and I showed it wrong. Throughout Isaiah, the nation is explicitly identified with the servant (starting in 41:8) and when that image is used, the pronouns are masculine (when the image switches, the pronouns do -- follow the images and don't be led by pronouns). So when, in 53, there is reference to the same image, the same pronouns are masculine and the same object is the servant.The proper thing to do would be to acknowledge that maybe your position isn't so iron clad. But then you double down on old points.

Maybe you should read up on how Israel, and not Jesus satisfies the various elements of Isaiah's prophecy. This isn't new stuff.
    The Suffering Servant

#66 rosends, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Terry Sampson

Terry Sampson ζει

Ratings:
    +256
    Ha! He's a staunch "evangelical" supporter of Trump and was granted permission to give the closing benediction at the opening of the U.S. embassy in Jerusalem. Not bad, ... for a crackpot, eh?

8. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,233
    Religion:
    Christian
    I have been reading about him.. Is he crazy or just a con artist?

9. Terry Sampson

Terry Sampson ζει

Ratings:
    +256
    You want me to comment on the sanity or the ethics of a man who is a "good ol' boy" from Texas, the spiritual leader of thousands, a long-time televangelist, a staunch "friend of Israel," and "supporter of Trump"? Not by the hair of my chinny-chin-chin.

10. wellwisher

wellwisher Active Member

Ratings:
    +183
    Religion:
    Catholic
    The Suffering Servant is also the Sensible Slave in Mathew 24, of the New Testament. He prepares the way for the second coming of Christ. The sensible slave has to maintain his focus, since he is not perfect. He is a son of man and not a son of God. He has a job to do, but he is also human and not perfect. He is a slave and not a free man.

In Mathew 24; 45-51,
    In Isaiah 53, the suffering servant is not someone anyone would expect. He has no stately form. Instead he is plain and acquainted with grief. He is someone who is avoided and ignored.

In Isaiah 50-1

This quote from Isaiah says the mother of the servant was sent away. This precludes Jesus being the Suffering servant, since Mary was always with Jesus.

The suffering servant and sensible slave is also the White Horseman. In Mathew 24, the time of the coming is one where hearts will grow cold and there is conflict and war. The White Horseman has a bow and arrow and gold crown on his head. He is able to reach the hearts of man; Cupid, from a distance, while passing in safety. He is does not initially have a sword for close fighting.

The sword, for in fighting, comes later, when the servant transitioned into the persona of the Red Horseman.

Malachi 3:2

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. dybmh

dybmh Terminal Optimist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,242
    Religion:
    diversity
    @MJFlores ,

I hear you. My personal opinion is this:

The most compelling reasons for a person to believe Jesus Christ is THE LORD are the stories in the New Testament and the Resurrection. What you and @wizanda are saying about the Old Testament is interesting, but, it is not very convincing.

My question is:

Why dwell on the Old Testament if it is not strong convincing evidence that Jesus is LORD?

12. dybmh

dybmh Terminal Optimist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,242
    Religion:
    diversity
    I respect you, and respect your opinion and your knowledge...

But I was not aware that Joseph had a son named Joshua.

Am I translating wrong, or forgetting something?

13. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,233
    Religion:
    Christian
    I thought the switch was to refer to Israel in the feminine and god her bridegroom.

14. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,233
    Religion:
    Christian
    Joshua Ben Joseph and Jesus of Nazareth. Joshua ben Joseph was Jesus' given name at birth, he grew up being known as Joshua (son of Joseph). He was only later called Jesus by the Greeks, Jesus being the Greek form of Joshua. Throughout Part IV of The Urantia Book, you will see the name Joshua and the name Jesus even in the same paragraph.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. dybmh

dybmh Terminal Optimist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,242
    Religion:
    diversity
    Thank you! **That** Joseph....

• Like Like x 2
  16. MJFlores

Ratings:
    +236
    Religion:
    I think Isa 53 was resolved @dybmh gave a very important pivotal point.
    I checked with the Jewish Bible and it was really a pronoun masculine and cant be Israel but Jesus.

Yeshayah 53 Orthodox Jewish Bible (OJB)

Who hath believed our report? And to whom is the Zero’a Hashem [Yeshayah 52:10] revealed?

For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a Shoresh (Root, Shoresh Yishai, Moshiach, Yeshayah 11:10, Sanhedrin93b) out of a dry ground; he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire [Chaggai 2:7] him.

He is despised and chadal ishim (rejected by men); a man of sorrows, and acquainted with suffering; and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

Surely he hath borne our sufferings, and nasah (carried [Vayikra 16:22; Yeshayah 53:12)] our sorrows; yet we did esteem him stricken, [i.e., like a leper is stricken] smitten of G-d, and afflicted [see verse 8 below].

But he was pierced [Yeshayah 51:9; Zecharyah 12:10 Sukkah 52a, Tehillim 22:17 Targum Hashivim] for our transgressions, he was bruised mei’avonoteinu (for our iniquities); the musar (chastisement) (that brought us shalom [Yeshayah 54:10] was upon him [Moshiach]; and at the cost of his (Moshiach’s) chaburah (stripes, lacerations) we are healed.

All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own derech (way; see Prov 16:25); and Hashem hath laid on him [Moshiach] the avon (iniquity, the guilt that separates from G-d) of us all.

He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth; he is brought as a seh (lamb; see Shemot 12:3) to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

He was taken from prison and from judgment; and who of his generation declared? For he was cut off [Daniel 9:26; Vayikra 17:10] out of Eretz Chayyim [this refers to the mot of Moshiach Ben Dovid, see v.12] mipesha ami (for the transgression of my people [Yisroel]) nega (plague cf Ps 91:10) lamo ([fell] on him [i.e., Moshiach; in light of Ps 11:7 and Job 22:2 we are warranted in saying the suffix is a singular, "him," not "them". Cf Gen 9:26-27; Deut 33:2; Isa 44:15; also compare Divrey Hayamim Alef 21:17]).

And he made his kever (grave) with the resha’im, and with the oisher (rich man; see Mt 27:57-60) bemotayv (in his deaths, intensive plural should be translated singular, death); because he had done no chamas (violence), neither was any mirmah (deceit) in his mouth. T.N. We stray as sheep; we return in Moshiach as children (zera); the Techiyas HaMoshiach (Resurrection of Moshiach) predicted in v. 10 [Dead Sea Scrolls Isaiah Scroll says Moshiach "will see the light [of life];" see also the Targum HaShivim]

Yet it pleased Hashem to bruise him; He hath put him to suffering; when Thou shalt make his nefesh an asham offering for sin, he (Moshiach) shall see zera [see Psalm 16 and Yn 1:12 OJBC], He shall prolong his yamim (days) and the chefetz Hashem (pleasure, will of Hashem) shall prosper in his [Moshiach’s] hand.

He [Hashem] shall see of the travail of his [Moshiach’s] nefesh, and shall be satisfied; by knowledge of him [Moshiach] shall Tzadik Avdi ["My Righteous Servant," Moshiach, Zecharyah 3:8, Yirmeyah 23:5; Zecharyah 6:11-12, Ezra 3:8 Yehoshua, Yeshua shmo] justify many (Ro 5:1); for he [Moshiach] shall bear their avon (iniquities).

Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his nefesh unto mavet (death); and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he nasah (Lv 16:22, carried) (like the Yom Kippur scapegoat) the sin of many, and made intercession [did the work of a mafgi’a, intercessor] for the transgressors [see Lk 23:34 OJBC].

upload_2019-4-10_21-35-59.jpeg

Owww!
    This is what looks like when Asian people start talking Yiddish

17. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,233
    Religion:
    Christian
    But Ezekiel and Jeremiah were born AFTER David was king.. DETAILS matter.

18. rosends

rosends Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,065
    Religion:
    Jewish
    I always find it funny when people quote the "OJB" as if it has any place in Judaism. It is a Christian text which " applies Yiddish and Hasidic cultural expressions to the Messianic Bible. " Useless.

I also note that you wrote "I checked with the Jewish Bible and it was really a pronoun masculine and cant be Israel but Jesus." And you say this even though I have shown you that the nation is, in many places, referred to in the masculine.

19. MJFlores

Ratings:
    +236
    Religion:
    Because Jesus said:

Matthew 13:52 New International Version (NIV)
    He said to them, “Therefore every teacher of the law who has become a disciple in the kingdom of heaven is like the owner of a house who brings out of his storeroom new treasures as well as old.

new treasures are new testament scriptures and the old treasures are old testament scriptures

John 5:39 New International Version (NIV)
    You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me,

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,233
    Religion:
    Christian
    IMO.. Its wrong for Christians to hijack and change the meaning of scripture.. As a Christian its not something to be proud of.