• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is This An Example Of Islam?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Not "frightened" of, but be aware of the regressive social views they'll tend to hold and that are most likely being taught in their mosques.
Aye, we should be on guard against yet another religion wreaking havoc upon us.
This isn't to say that Islam is inherently "bad", but there is real potential for it to be so.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Islam is the second largest religion in the UK, do you the majority of British Muslims are something to be afraid of and representative of a frightening culture?

A couple of statistics:

Twenty-eight percent hope for the U.K. one day to become a fundamentalist Islamic state. This comports with last year's Daily Telegraph newspaper survey that found one-third of British Muslims believe that Western society is decadent and immoral and that Muslims should seek to end it.

The news is no less alarming on the question of freedom of speech. Seventy-eight percent support punishment for the people who earlier this year published cartoons featuring the Prophet Mohammed. Sixty-eight percent support the arrest and prosecution of those British people who "insult Islam." When asked if free speech should be protected, even if it offends religious groups, 62 percent of British Muslims say No, it should not.

Also concerning freedom of speech, as the NOP Research survey reports, "hardcore Islamists" constitute nine percent of the British Muslim population. A slightly more moderate group is composed of "staunch defenders of Islam." This second group comprises 29 percent of the British Muslim population. Individuals in this group aggressively defend their religion from internal and external threats, real or imagined.
Source.

Forty per cent of the British Muslims surveyed said they backed introducing sharia in parts of Britain, while 41 per cent opposed it. Twenty per cent felt sympathy with the July 7 bombers' motives, and 75 per cent did not. One per cent felt the attacks were "right".
Source.

While I don't disagree that there are peaceful Muslim communities, the view that Muslims who support violence are an extremely small minority strikes me as completely unrealistic in light of certain trends and statistics coming out of Muslim societies and communities, such as the two above statistics concerning some British Muslims.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Aye, we should be on guard against yet another religion wreaking havoc upon us.
This isn't to say that Islam is inherently "bad", but there is real potential for it to be so.

Islam could be okay if it went through a process of reformation and was made to be compatible with Western culture by becoming liberalized, like much of Christianity has become. Sufism doesn't seem to be as problematic as the Sunni and Shia sects. However, Islam has some built-in features that may make such reformation an impossibility.

I'm not sure if Islam could ever be reformed, honestly.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
And Christianity doesn't have any terrorist (no, I forgot, we are supposed to call them "abortion clinic bombers" or stick to specific names but never lump or label them as terrorist)? The Bible prescribes horrible punishments that would be illegal today and considered horrendous, barbarous, and inhumane by the standards of most today, but we are still going to ignore that and apply "stone-age" to Islam? We are talking about a group that amounts to less than 10% of its total global adherents that we need to be scared of, yet in America we are killing ourselves off with murder and traffic incidents much faster than any of these terrorists are.
Now if you want to go to some African or Middle Eastern nations, then it is a very different story, but do not forget that Christians are mercilessly butchering Muslims just as Muslims are slaughtering Christians without remorse.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
And Christianity doesn't have any terrorist (no, I forgot, we are supposed to call them "abortion clinic bombers" or stick to specific names but never lump or label them as terrorist)? The Bible prescribes horrible punishments that would be illegal today and considered horrendous, barbarous, and inhumane by the standards of most today, but we are still going to ignore that and apply "stone-age" to Islam? We are talking about a group that amounts to less than 10% of its total global adherents that we need to be scared of, yet in America we are killing ourselves off with murder and traffic incidents much faster than any of these terrorists are.
Now if you want to go to some African or Middle Eastern nations, then it is a very different story, but do not forget that Christians are mercilessly butchering Muslims just as Muslims are slaughtering Christians without remorse.
What does this have to do with the OP?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Islam could be okay if it went through a process of reformation and was made to be compatible with Western culture by becoming liberalized, like much of Christianity has become. Sufism doesn't seem to be as problematic as the Sunni and Shia sects. However, Islam has some built-in features that may make such reformation an impossibility.
I'm not sure if Islam could ever be reformed, honestly.
I have my doubts about Xianity too.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

Why? There's so many different forms of Christianity. I think Christianity is so inherently vague that it could be just about anything. Plus, you can be a Christian not believe that the Bible is perfect or inerrant. Christians don't believe that the Bible is the direct word of God, either. You can't be a Muslim and believe the Qur'an is anything less than the perfect and literal word of Allah to humanity. I think that's one of the biggest obstacles to any sort of reform. Christianity is more flexible theologically and Islam doesn't seem to be.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

Yeah. The GOP certainly has no shortage of members who don't seem like they would have any objections to establishing a Christian theocracy if they could, for example. I think that one only needs to listen to statements by people like Ann Coulter and Rick Santorum to see just how much more reform Christianity still needs, especially since such people have a considerable number of supporters.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Why? There's so many different forms of Christianity. I think Christianity is so inherently vague that it could be just about anything. Plus, you can be a Christian not believe that the Bible is perfect or inerrant. Christians don't believe that the Bible is the direct word of God, either. You can't be a Muslim and believe the Qur'an is anything less than the perfect and literal word of Allah to humanity. I think that's one of the biggest obstacles to any sort of reform. Christianity is more flexible theologically and Islam doesn't seem to be.
Oh, but there are Xians who believe the Bible is the literal inerrant word of God.
But even among those who take it less literally, there those who buy into Armageddon
prophecy & other potentially dangerous concepts.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Oh, but there are Xians who believe the Bible is the literal inerrant word of God.
But even among those who take it less literally, there those who buy into Armageddon
prophecy & other potentially dangerous concepts.

Yeah, that's true. Like I said, in Christianity you'll find whatever viewpoint you can think of.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
What does this have to do with the OP?
That his POV, that we need to be scared of Muslims and that it's such a violent and nasty religion, and that using insults such as "stone-age," are faulty as they more-or-less apply to many, if not most religions of the world, the Muslim terrorist population is very small, and there are far greater things to be afraid of if you live in a place like America.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
That is no more than a disgraceful, unfounded and bigoted assumption.

Did you read the stats that DS posted? It's fact. A very large proportion of British Muslims hold views that are hostile to Western culture at large. We're not making this up. It's not our problem that you're in denial about it.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
That his POV, that we need to be scared of Muslims and that it's such a violent and nasty religion, and that using insults such as "stone-age," are faulty as they more-or-less apply to many, if not most religions of the world, the Muslim terrorist population is very small, and there are far greater things to be afraid of if you live in a place like America.
Exactly

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That is no more than a disgraceful, unfounded and bigoted assumption.
Call'n it so doesn't make it so.
But if you really believe it, you can support your claims.
It's not supposed to be about the poster here, but rather about the issue.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Did you read the stats that DS posted? It's fact. A very large proportion of British Muslims hold views that are hostile to Western culture at large. We're not making this up. It's not our problem that you're in denial about it.

This? That 80% have no sympathy with the bombers and 99% thought they were wrong?
The ICM opinion poll also indicates that a fifth have sympathy with the "feelings and motives" of the suicide bombers who attacked London last July 7, killing 52 people, although 99 per cent thought the bombers were wrong to carry out the atrocity.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Call'n it so doesn't make it so.
But if you really believe it, you can support your claims.
It's not supposed to be about the poster here, but rather about the issue.
If you would care to re-read you may notice that I have not said anything about the poster - I have written re the posts

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
This? That 80% have no sympathy with the bombers and 99% thought they were wrong?

I notice you conveniently left this one out:

Twenty-eight percent hope for the U.K. one day to become a fundamentalist Islamic state. This comports with last year's Daily Telegraph newspaper survey that found one-third of British Muslims believe that Western society is decadent and immoral and that Muslims should seek to end it.

The news is no less alarming on the question of freedom of speech. Seventy-eight percent support punishment for the people who earlier this year published cartoons featuring the Prophet Mohammed. Sixty-eight percent support the arrest and prosecution of those British people who "insult Islam." When asked if free speech should be protected, even if it offends religious groups, 62 percent of British Muslims say No, it should not.

Also concerning freedom of speech, as the NOP Research survey reports, "hardcore Islamists" constitute nine percent of the British Muslim population. A slightly more moderate group is composed of "staunch defenders of Islam." This second group comprises 29 percent of the British Muslim population. Individuals in this group aggressively defend their religion from internal and external threats, real or imagined.