• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is This An Example Of Islam?

esmith

Veteran Member
Well it seems that the stone-age mentality of some parts of Sharia Law has raised it's ugly head again.
This Is the Pregnant Woman Sudan Wants to Hang for Marrying a Christian - ABC News

However, it seems that there are those in the US and elsewhere that have closed their eyes and ears to the atrocities being committed under the guise of Islam. And the phobia of Islamphobia continues to grow.
Islamophobia in action? 'Honor Diaries' screening shut down by CAIR | Fox News
Yet there may be a growing concern about the problems of radical fundamentalism of Sharai Law. Look at the hoopla in LA over the Sultan of Brunei
Jay Leno joins Beverly Hills hotel protest against Sultan of Brunei
Even twitter is getting into the act via the First Lady
Michelle Obama and Malala join campaign to bring back kidnapped Nigerian girls | Mail Online
However, this event may not have too much to do with Sharia Law but more with embarrassing the government of Nigeria.
So, what are your opinions?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Sure.
I also think that the imposition of the death penalty in the USA and the criminal incarcerations in Guantanamo Bay are reflective of backward US interpretations of Christianity.

I don't. I do find your thread ignorant, narrow-minded and offensive.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Why is that?

Islam has several billion adherents. In the UK for example, Islam is the second largest religion and the majority of Muslims actively promote equality, peace and democracy. Islam is a religion of beauty, peace and civilization. I cite the example of Badshah Khan to support my view.
I find the thread ignorant, narrow-minded and offensive because it peddles a caricature and of Islam based on the actions of a criminal and despicable tiny minority.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Islam has several billion adherents. In the UK for example, Islam is the second largest religion and the majority of Muslims actively promote equality, peace and democracy. Islam is a religion of beauty, peace and civilization. I cite the example of Badshah Khan to support my view.
I find the thread ignorant, narrow-minded and offensive because it peddles a caricature and of Islam based on the actions of a criminal and despicable tiny minority.

Before I compose a full-fledged response to what you said: When you say that the majority of Muslims promote equality, peace, and democracy, does that statement include most Muslims in Muslim-majority countries as well?

If it does, I have strong evidence to the contrary--both from statistics and personal experience (having lived my entire life so far in Muslim countries).

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Before I compose a full-fledged response to what you said: When you say that the majority of Muslims promote equality, peace, and democracy, does that statement include most Muslims in Muslim-majority countries as well?

If it does, I have strong evidence to the contrary--both from statistics and personal experience (having lived my entire life so far in Muslim countries).

I was using the example of the UK.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I was using the example of the UK.

Okay, but then your comment that the kind of things discussed in the articles linked to in the OP are only supported by a "tiny minority" of Muslims would only apply to Muslims in the UK. There are statistics indicating otherwise for many Muslims in other countries, as I mentioned in my previous post.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Okay, but then your comment that the kind of things discussed in the articles linked to in the OP are only supported by a "tiny minority" of Muslims would only apply to Muslims in the UK. There are statistics indicating otherwise for many Muslims in other countries, as I mentioned in my previous post.

So does that mean that the peaceful, respectful religion I have encountered both here and IRL in the UK is not actually Islam?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
So does that mean that the peaceful, respectful religion I have encountered both here and IRL in the UK is not actually Islam?

I'd have to know the specifics of what you mean by "peaceful," but granting equal rights for LGBT people, for example, is considered a major sin that may even be punishable as blasphemy by most Islamic scholars. The same goes for significant portions of Muslim populations in certain parts of the world.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Sure.
I also think that the imposition of the death penalty in the USA and the criminal incarcerations in Guantanamo Bay are reflective of backward US interpretations of Christianity.
Let me establish my street cred by saying that I'd be the first to dis Xians who'd use their book to justify the death penalty. But I overwhelmingly hear secular reasons for it in Americastan. I cannot blame Xians for it. Islam is a different matter though, since it is so often claimed as the basis of heinous acts in the name of government.

I find it less offensive than many evils perpetrated in the name of Islam.
When religion goes bad, the religion must be examined...no matter how uncomfortable that makes its fans.

Islam is not a single thing. It is all that we see of it, so it is variously peaceful & violent.

Last edited:

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I'd have to know the specifics of what you mean by "peaceful," but granting equal rights for LGBT people, for example, is considered a major sin that may even be punishable as blasphemy by most Islamic scholars. The same goes for significant portions of Muslim populations in certain parts of the world.
The Islamic Society of Britain state that
The concept of peace in Islam is not just limited to Muslims but is a right for all humanity. According to this faith the best way of obtaining peace is to be at peace with yourself, which is attained by leading a reflective and spiritual life. It is also important to be at peace with those around you - being good to your neighbour, treating people with respect, maintaining ties of kinship and looking after the needy and oppressed. These are only some of the responsibilities and duties that are an integral part of Islam, the path of peace.
source Plain Islam - Peace

That seems straightforward to me.

Why not concentrate on this progressive, inclusive and pluralist understanding of and approach to Islam?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
The Islamic Society of Britain state that source Plain Islam - Peace

That seems straightforward to me.

Why not concentrate on this progressive, inclusive and pluralist understanding of and approach to Islam?

Again, I would have to know the specifics of how they define "peace" and to whom they apply their teachings. I could find you a dozen similar statements by Islamic scholars who support capital punishment for homosexuality, flogging for drinking alcohol, and stoning for adultery, among other things.

If there's a way to propagate an understanding of Islam that promotes equality and freedom of speech, then I definitely support that. However, attempts to propose alternative interpretations of Islam that differ from "mainstream" ones are usually met with a lot of hostility and rejection in Muslim-majority countries, and in some cases, people have even been killed for going against conventional religious traditions and ideologies.

If we were to talk about a genuine "tiny minority" of Muslims, I would classify those who promote equality and tolerance for all people (emphasis on "all") under that category. Of course, a statement like this could be viewed negatively by a lot of people, but I believe that certain trends we have seen in Muslim-majority countries, especially after the "Arab Spring" revolutions, serve to provide a lot of support for it.

Last edited:

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Sure.

Please cite a case in the USA where a woman was put to death, or sentenced to death, or faced the death penalty for marrying someone of a different religion.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Of course it is. That seems to be more of the current mainstream face of Islam than what the apologists would have you believe. I'm sorry, but I don't see this peaceful, tolerant and democratic "majority" in Islam. Sure, individual Muslims may believe in those things but en masse? I don't see it.

"Islamophobia" is a smear term used to shut down criticism of Islam. People should have every right to criticize religions and cultures. They are not immutable things like ethnicity or gender.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Of course it is. That seems to be more of the current mainstream face of Islam than what the apologists would have you believe. I'm sorry, but I don't see this peaceful, tolerant and democratic "majority" in Islam. Sure, individual Muslims may believe in those things but en masse? I don't see it.

Islam is the second largest religion in the UK, do you the majority of British Muslims are something to be afraid of and representative of a frightening culture?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Islam is the second largest religion in the UK, do you the majority of British Muslims are something to be afraid of and representative of a frightening culture?

Not "frightened" of, but be aware of the regressive social views they'll tend to hold and that are most likely being taught in their mosques.

However, yes - I would say that Islamic countries tend to have a "frightening" culture.