• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there any possibility of God's existence.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
However we please. It is one of the most vague concepts in existence.

Sure, Islaam and the doctrines that originated from it go out of their ways to define God in a rigorous way. In that respect they are succesful.

But ultimately it backfired badly on them. They put way too much effort on sustaining their conception of God and thereby harm their own ability to have religious meaning.

And maybe it's the truth and you were wrong on what you think and believe.

It has been, as a matter of fact. Ever heard of Hailse Selassie? Of Cargo Cults?

If people believe in the evil or in several Gods it doesn't mean that the real path doesn't exist.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Any time someone uses a term, they're using the term to refer to a concept that they're trying to communicate.

If the word "God" (or "god") can't be defined, then it isn't a term at all; it's just meaningless noise... as is any communication that relies on the word.

Not knowing doesn't mean it doesn't exist, the events which is going through on earth
recently is more than enough to prove that such a thing does really exist, you may
think of it as coincidences and that's really a risky choice.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
And maybe it's the truth and you were wrong on what you think and believe.

Actually... no. There is in truth no chance of that.

I should probably thank the Qur'an for that. It is so emphatic that I have no room for worry about whether it might be accurate.

If people believe in the evil or in several Gods it doesn't mean that the real path doesn't exist.
True enough.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Not knowing doesn't mean it doesn't exist,
What doesn't exist? You just told me that you can't define God.

If you say to me "something that I can't describe exists", you've told me nothing.

the events which is going through on earth
recently is more than enough to prove that such a thing does really exist, you may
think of it as coincidences and that's really a risky choice.
"Such a thing"? So do you now know what God is?

Etritonakin

Yes.

An all-knowing, all-seeing, all-powerful (except by decision to become otherwise) being would be similar to ourselves, but would be the original -the origin.

In order to have such attributes, such a being would logically be "everything" having -or developing into -a self-aware creative intelligence.
Everything would necessarily connect to that mind, and/or be of an arrangement which allows for that mind to manipulate everything -and that mind would generally be of the same basic stuff it manipulates. The universe does not seem to some to be alive, for example, but perhaps that is like saying a human body is not alive without the mind -because we are not aware of the mind of everything. No one part of us is alive. The whole must be considered as a system -and we are not aware of the whole of "everything" to the extent that we can determine scientifically that a mind does not exist.

That which exists has obviously always had the potential to develop -and/or be developed -into multiple self-aware creative intelligences -and I have been thinking recently that it is logical that an original would necessarily exist before multiples could exist -but I can't yet fully explain why I think that to be the case. Anyway -if it can happen individually now -to us -we certainly cannot rule out the possibility of it happening -or being the case -overall.

We may not be able to say why everything exists -or how it came to exist -and the answer might simply be that it just did and does -and "always" has........
However..... We do know absolutely that something exists or is happening, and that certain things must happen before other things are possible.

Last edited:

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Actually... no. There is in truth no chance of that.

I should probably thank the Qur'an for that. It is so emphatic that I have no room for worry about whether it might be accurate.

I f you think that you're right that doesn't mean it's what the truth and reality is.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I f you think that you're right that doesn't mean it's what the truth and reality is.
In this case it is. As I said, the Qur'an is far too specific to allow any meaningful doubt.

I know that I was not born believing in a Creator God, for instance. I know that belief in such a God is not much of a help in attaining moral character. And I know that there are dangers in surrendering to an Islaamic-like conception of God that far too many believers fail utterly at acknowledging and dealing with in a constructive way.

You may doubt me all you like. You are still wrong and have no chance of convincing me otherwise. The facts are on my side.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
What doesn't exist? You just told me that you can't define God.

If you say to me "something that I can't describe exists", you've told me nothing.

Believing in a thing doesn't mean that we have to know what it is,
I believe in the spirit but can i define it and how it looks like, can you
define what makes the non living thing a life, can you describe what life is
as to be defined from the non living matters.

"Such a thing"? So do you now know what God is?

And do you know what makes the non living things to become a life, define life.

Life's Great Mystery: What, Exactly, Is Life?

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
In this case it is. As I said, the Qur'an is far too specific to allow any meaningful doubt.

I know that I was not born believing in a Creator God, for instance. I know that belief in such a God is not much of a help in attaining moral character. And I know that there are dangers in surrendering to an Islaamic-like conception of God that far too many believers fail utterly at acknowledging and dealing with in a constructive way.

You may doubt me all you like. You are still wrong and have no chance of convincing me otherwise. The facts are on my side.

You think that I'm wrong while i believe you're wrong, why you think you're right
and not me.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Believing in a thing doesn't mean that we have to know what it is,
If you don't know what it is, exactly what are you believing in?

I believe in the spirit but can i define it and how it looks like, can you
define what makes the non living thing a life, can you describe what life is
as to be defined from the non living matters.

The definition of life is controversial, but as a quick definition, I would say that living things:

- maintain homeostasis,
- undergo metabolism,
- grow,
- adapt to their environment, and
- respond to stimuli.

And do you know what makes the non living things to become a life, define life.
This question is irrelevant to the question of how life is defined, no?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Welcome back, Chinu! Hope you are well!

You ask, "Is there any possibility of God's existence."

On the face of it, of course it is possible. As a strong atheist, I openly admit, I could be quite wrong. That said, I believe, based on my countless inner experiences that the probability of "god" existing, especially existing in a way understood by the world's religions, is about nil.