1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Is there any possibility of God's existence.

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by chinu, Dec 9, 2016.

1. chinu

chinu Businessman.

Ratings:
    +567
    Religion:
    means "re-union" with from where we all started the journey of life in the beginning.
    What do you say ?

2. ADigitalArtist

ADigitalArtist Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,195
    Religion:
    Irreligious Agnostic Atheistic Apatheist
    I think a god is possible. God, as in the Abrahamic variety, not so much.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kemosloby

Kemosloby Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,230
    Religion:
    Christian
    If there wasn't you wouldn't be asking.

4. chinu

chinu Businessman.

Ratings:
    +567
    Religion:
    means "re-union" with from where we all started the journey of life in the beginning.
    So, you mean yes. Okay good. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. chinu

chinu Businessman.

Ratings:
    +567
    Religion:
    Please please please, explain your one. :)

6. LuisDantas

LuisDantas Aura of atheification

Ratings:
    +13,954
    Religion:
    Advocate of letting go of theism. Buddhist with an emphasis on personal understanding.
    That is not a very meaningful question. Existence is not a significant attribute for any deity.

You could answer "yes", but only at the expense of defining God in a meaningless way.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ADigitalArtist

ADigitalArtist Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7,195
    Religion:
    Irreligious Agnostic Atheistic Apatheist
    Probably more reasons than I could adequately summarize here. I believe the Abrahamic god as written in Scripture is inconsistent, self-contradictory (eg problem of evil, omnipotemce vs free will) and claims to have created humanity in a way contrary to revealed scientific knowledge. Other ideas of gods do not have these problems.

• Like Like x 1
  8. chinu

chinu Businessman.

Ratings:
    +567
    Religion:
    Okay is there any possibility of Deity existence ?

9. LuisDantas

Ratings:
    +13,954
    Religion:
    Advocate of letting go of theism. Buddhist with an emphasis on personal understanding.
    That is just so pointless a question that I fear I will mislead you by answering.

It matters not whether any deity exists. I don't think it could even conceptually matter.

• Like Like x 1
  10. illykitty

illykitty RF's pet cat

Ratings:
    +1,227
    Religion:
    Nature
    Well, I don't suppose it's impossible. But it's also worthy to ask, what would qualify as god?

Would, say, an advanced species that can create universes with their technology be considered gods? (If anyone's watched Star Trek Deep Space Nine, there's a nice example in there).

If you mean a "being" or "energy" deity, again, I don't outright dismiss it but I'd still wonder a million questions, like wonder if we're significant in any way, if knowing it exists changes anything at all, would we need to worship it, does this being care enough to commends us to do anything, etc. For instance, I don't have anything against the concepts of deism or pandeism and such, I just don't know how significant it is to me. What would change if I started to adopt one of those concepts?

I do question however any sort of man-made god, coming from religions. I very much doubt that any god made itself known to anyone. There's many refutations, such as some @ADigitalArtist mentioned but also from personal experience, no matter how much I asked it, it never made itself known to me. And I've been in very dark desperate times, where it would have been useful to have a loving god on my side. None of them ever showed up.

11. chinu

chinu Businessman.

Ratings:
    +567
    Religion:
    What do you mean by it ?

Please don't mind asking this, Luis. actually, am in the research of core of human mind.

12. FearGod

FearGod Freedom Of Mind

Ratings:
    +1,858
    Religion:
    Human
    And how could we define God, do you think God can be described as describing
    a human being or the stone?

13. LuisDantas

Ratings:
    +13,954
    Religion:

In that instance, I meant "whether there is a God".

As it pleases you.

I don't think "God" is an useful concept, except when it is acknowledged that its meaning is strictly personal in nature.

Many a doctrine losts its way by mistaking "god" and "the existence of god" for meaningful points on their own. I do not want to encourage the persistence of such a mistake.

14. chinu

chinu Businessman.

Ratings:
    +567
    Religion:
    Hello! how are you sis ? nice to talk with you after so long. :)

What do you think is Worshiping something, or True Worshiping ?

If we are taking/discussing about God here, right now, Don't you think that its kinda worship on its own ? :)

15. chinu

chinu Businessman.

Ratings:
    +567
    Religion:
    Okkkay, that is the answer to question I was looking for the OP.
    Thank you a lot brother.
    :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. LuisDantas

Ratings:
    +13,954
    Religion:
    However we please. It is one of the most vague concepts in existence.

Sure, Islaam and the doctrines that originated from it go out of their ways to define God in a rigorous way. In that respect they are succesful.

But ultimately it backfired badly on them. They put way too much effort on sustaining their conception of God and thereby harm their own ability to have religious meaning.

It has been, as a matter of fact. Ever heard of Haile Selassie? Of Cargo Cults?

#16 LuisDantas, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  17. 9-10ths_Penguin

9-10ths_Penguin 1/10 Riboflavin
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +13,009
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    Depends what you mean by "God". In some cases, no. In all the others, maybe not, IMO.

18. chinu

chinu Businessman.

Ratings:
    +567
    Religion:
    Which is yes, for you, dear :) ?

19. illykitty

illykitty RF's pet cat

Ratings:
    +1,227
    Religion:
    Nature
    I'm fine, thanks for asking. :)

I get the impression that worshipping can be a multitude of things. I'm not sure I can list everything to be honest. But from the top of my head prayer, moral conduct according to the being's guidance, rituals, asking for guidance from that being can be considered worship.

Not really, I question the existence of such a being, how could I worship it if I doubt there's an "it" to begin with? Can you worship nothing?

20. 9-10ths_Penguin

9-10ths_Penguin 1/10 Riboflavin
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +13,009
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    Any time someone uses a term, they're using the term to refer to a concept that they're trying to communicate.

If the word "God" (or "god") can't be defined, then it isn't a term at all; it's just meaningless noise... as is any communication that relies on the word.

• Like Like x 1