• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there a reason?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Depending on what you mean by "condemn" or "mock," the right itself rests in the right of free expression.
Mocking= telling them how bad or wrong their belief are, and how stupid they are to belive in a god or buddha, just because you dont belive in it

condem= to say that those people should be removed from earth because of their belief, or telling them that wht they believe is evil (even it is not evil)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Well, I will condemn those I find to be promoting immorality (for example, bigotry against gays). I will mock those that hold clearly silly ideas (that the Earth is only a few thousand years old), but generally only if they insist on such silliness.
Just because you disgree with them give you the right to be "superior" and tell them what you belive is the right?
You do know that most religions do not condem gay people as people, only the act?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Mocking= telling them how bad or wrong their belief are, and how stupid they are to belive in a god or buddha, just because you dont belive in it

condem= to say that those people should be removed from earth because of their belief, or telling them that wht they believe is evil (even it is not evil)

OK, your definitions are *much* harsher than mine. For example, I 'condemn' someone when I think their views are immoral and should be fought against. I 'mock' by pointing out the absurdity of their views.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Just because you disgree with them give you the right to be "superior" and tell them what you belive is the right?

Superiority isn't the point. The point is that if someone thinks the universe began last Thursday, that is a silly viewpoint.

You do know that most religions do not condem gay people as people, only the act?

that is sufficient for me to condemn them.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Why do some people make fun of other peoples beliefs?
Fear or disinterest or dislike.

Why do some people make fun of religious practice?
Also or and disinterest or dislike.

Why do some people make fun of people who dedicate their life to the spiritual?
That is a little different. People have limited time, limited attention. We also rely on each other, and so typically we are comfortable with people who are like ourselves, predictable and measurable. That is typical group behavior. If someone seems different they will seem unpredictable, possibly diseased or needy. Unpredictable is not what we look for in friends, usually. We look for someone who seems healthy, strong but not threatening; but when they are very different its hard to tell whether they are an asset or problem. It takes imagination and self confidence to move past that.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why do people divide themselves from others?

Why do people struggle with differences in others?

Why are people insecure?

The answer to all of these are a complex of emotional, psychological, and social reasons. What is the way out of these is the real question.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Fear or disinterest or dislike.

Also or and disinterest or dislike.

That is a little different. People have limited time, limited attention. We also rely on each other, and so typically we are comfortable with people who are like ourselves, predictable and measurable. That is typical group behavior. If someone seems different they will seem unpredictable, possibly diseased or needy. Unpredictable is not what we look for in friends, usually. We look for someone who seems healthy, strong but not threatening; but when they are very different its hard to tell whether they are an asset or problem. It takes imagination and self confidence to move past that.
This answer you gave here do make sense to me :)

exchemist

Veteran Member
Because they think it is all primitive cobblers, perhaps?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Maybe someone wonder why i asked the OP?

In my quest for answers to the siritual realm, i have been digging deep in to different religious beliefs, and tried to do same with non religious people (no wrong with being atheists) But often this people are the most difficult to discuss with. And often the people who come with most negativity against religions or religious peole seem to be those who are atheists ( in my research, But ofcourse not only them)

In my quest i found that the best way to act toward other beings is with kindness and curiousity instead of hate and disbelief. And belive it or not, i have once been very negative toward other religions my self, but come to the conclution that i can not judge what others should belive or not. And should not treat them bad, but with curiousity and kindness. (hope that shine thru in my post most of the time)

A Vestigial Mote

Why not just tell them no? insted of comment with something negative toward them? yes you might disagree with their belief or religion, but what give you right to mock them?
I feel there's something fundamental you're neglecting to understand here. Anyone has the right to mock or criticize anything - as long as that is truly all they are doing. And I am of the strong opinion that people should have that right. You don't get to control what others do or say or think. You do understand that, correct? You can comment on behavior you see, and have a discussion about it, but in the end, your way isn't the "right way" within a subject like this.

For example, it's my opinion that more people should be ready for criticism, have their "ducks in a row" with the ways in which they are prepared to respond, and be solid enough in their outlook on life that crap like that just rolls off their back without issue. This is the tack I take, and in this area I am ironclad. I know that my views are protean enough that if someone has a valid, true-to-life point to make with their mockery, I may take it under advisement, but if what they are saying is based in something I feel is a completely incorrect outlook on the situation, they're going to get an earful, and I'll talk them under the table as best I am able - even if that means mocking and poking fun back to try and beat them at their own game. I have no qualms with this, and I don't care about their feelings. They've already shown where their mind is at - and my behavior at that point is a twist on the golden rule: "in showing the world what you are willing to do unto others, you've shown them what you believe is permissible behavior." And anyone surprised when they get hit back with the same stuff they put out into the world is an idiot. So, while I may "dish out" on occasion, you'd better bet I am ready for when I get "dished to." If you can't stand the heat... stay out of the kitchen. I can stand the heat, and I actually enjoy being in the kitchen.

And I readily admit this is only my opinion... but it obviously differs from yours. Now I suspect its because, in my chosen worldview, I am more secure than you apparently are. Again... only opinion. And who is right? Can you prove that you are? That's a rhetorical question - I know that you can't, because I know that I can't.

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I feel there's something fundamental you're neglecting to understand here. Anyone has the right to mock or criticize anything - as long as that is truly all they are doing. And I am of the strong opinion that people should have that right. You don't get to control what others do. You do understand that, correct? You can comment on behavior you see, and have a discussion about it, but in the end, your way isn't the "right way" within a subject like this.

For example, it's my opinion that more people should be ready for criticism, have their "ducks in a row" with the ways in which they are prepared to respond, and be solid enough in their outlook on life that crap like that just rolls off their back without issue. This is the tack I take. In this area I am ironclad. I know that my views are protean enough that if someone has a valid, true-to-life point to make with their mockery, I may take it under advisement, but if what they are saying is based in something I feel is a completely incorrect outlook on the situation, they're going to get an earful, and I'll talk them under the table as best I am able - even if that means mocking and poking fun back to try and beat them at their own game. I have no qualms with this, and I don't care about their feelings. They already shown where their mind is at - and my behavior at that point is a twist on the golden rule: "in showing the world what you are willing to do unto others, you've shown them what you believe is permissible behavior." And anyone surprised when they get hit back with the same stuff they put out into the world is an idiot. So, while I may "dish out" on occasion, you'd better bet I am ready for when I get "dished to." If you can't stand the heat... stay out of the kitchen. I can stand the heat, and I actually enjoy being in the kitchen.

And I readily admit this is only my opinion... but it obviously differs from yours. Now I suspect its because, in my chosen worldview, I am more secure than you apparently are. Again... only opinion. And who is right? Can you prove that you are? That's a rhetorical question - I know that you can't, because I know that I can't.

You are right in that i can not control what other people see as correct. And that was not the intention with this OP. And i can not stop someone from sying negative about me and my belief. But i do not care what other peole think of me. I have enough confidence in my self that i stand for what i say and do. But since i chosen to follow the buddhist belief i do look at the world and its people and wonder why they do have the need to being negtive toward religious people. (again i can only speak for my self)
And no i do not judge you as a person, You re fully allowed to say and have your opinion. But i think i can ask question toward why someone want to be negative toward others who do belive different then them elf. But i do not try to say my way of thinking i the only right way. Far from it.

But what i do stand for is tht all religious people should be allowed to stand for what they do, except for if they harm other beings. Yes there are religious people who do a lot of wrong deeds, and those people should be corrected too.

But religious people who has it as a personal lifestyle should be allowed to preactice their path.

But i do want you to know that your post here is very welcome, i do not judge you for what you stand for, but i do not agree with all you say. But that is life :)

exchemist

Veteran Member
Not sure i understand wht you mean?
William Golding's "Lord of the Flies" was about a group of schoolboys marooned on an island who gradually revert to savagery, the message being that civilisation is only skin-deep and easily lost. It was written shortly after the end of WW2, at which point people in the West were still in shock at the level of savagery exhibited by the Germans, Germany having been a nation considered up to that point thoroughly civilised.

The anonymity of the internet removes most the social controls and inhibitions that govern our interaction with our fellow men - or at least takes away most of the the repercussions for uncivil behaviour that help us to control the way we express ourselves. The knock-on effect can be that it removes the moderation in the way we even think about people different from ourselves. I recall at university one - indirectly - spent a lot of time learning how to disagree with someone in a civilised way. If you are face to face it is easier - you see the other guy a few feet away and you want to stay friends, or at least respect one another afterwards. You certainly don't want to get into a punch-up. *

One can view the election of people like Trump, for example, as partly the result of the internet. You can see the coarsening of political debate all across the USA and the UK.

* I am not immune: I have been moderated several times myself on this forum for uncivil language, which I would not dream of using to someone standing in front of me.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
It's a general tendency for us to take positions like "I'm right, and if you disagree with me you're wrong". Both theists and non-theists tend to do it, and you all do it but I never do. :rolleyes:

A Vestigial Mote

But what i do stand for is tht all religious people should be allowed to stand for what they do,
Except in tragic cases of actual repression/oppression (such as what is happening to Muslims in China currently), I believe that religious people are allowed to stand for what they do, aren't they? Does someone criticizing, questioning, or even mocking change this?

except for if they harm other beings. Yes there are religious people who do a lot of wrong deeds, and those people should be corrected too.
And here's where we differ somewhat again, I would imagine. I feel that people should have good, justifiable reasons to do the things they do, and if they don't, and someone comes knocking at their door asking them why they are doing it, even in a mocking tone, there are two scenarios I'd like to highlight as potential responses:

1. They realize they have no justification for what they believe and practice and are secure enough in it anyway to continue doing it despite what anyone else thinks. In this case, why are you even worried what others think?
2. They feel they are justified in what they believe and practice - in which case you should very well be armed with the discussion points necessary to defend it, shouldn't you? If what you are believing and doing is completely rational, justified and beyond reproach, then you should have no problems defending it, or, again, not caring one bit if anyone doesn't accept your defense.

I feel either case should boil down to a person practicing their chosen beliefs not caring one bit about mockery, derision or ridicule. But while you say you don't care:

But i do not care what other peole think of me. I have enough confidence in my self that i stand for what i say and do.

... your starting this thread hints at the opposite. Here's a quote of yours I would like to comment on:

I do not want to go after spesific members, because that would make me just as evil, and i dont want to be that way.

This isn't even worth mentioning if your mind is truly where you say it is at with regard to this. That there are "[specific] members" of this forum you have in mind is you having made judgments about those members in this area. This is you stating that those people you have picked out in your mind are people whose:
qritique gets dirty and evilminded then i find those people to be of very low morality and disrespectful towrd other humn beings.
You have judged them to be of very low morality, and disrespectful toward other human beings. And yet you don't care? Do you not see the apparent contradiction here?

As a simple thought experiment to highlight - I, myself, truly do not care what others think about what I believe. Truly. And what I'd like you to ask yourself is: "Could you ever see ME making a thread like this one you have started?" I can assure you that I never would. The thought to do so wouldn't even cross my mind. Because I don't care.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
did someone say.....ignorance?

I don't point fingers and giggle
people of dogmatic belief
people of ritual and ceremony
really do want to please the God they believe in

but picture the end result as each of us attempts to walk among the angelic

I happen to believe the angelic are not easily amused
or persuaded by displays of gesture

so.....if you go about thumping your bible and quoting scripture
They might take that book
set it upon your head
and give it a good hard thump

spend your time on a rug praying?
only to have that rug yanked out from under you

fancy hats and praying in public?
already denounced

I suspect.....strongly so....
my gesture toward my fellowman is ALL that the angelic would consider

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
OK, your definitions are *much* harsher than mine. For example, I 'condemn' someone when I think their views are immoral and should be fought against. I 'mock' by pointing out the absurdity of their views.
In this discussion, I think it's an important point. Sometimes people hurl accusations because they're overly sensitive, or as a defense mechanism. Sometimes when I've pointed out a difference, or just when I say 'I don't believe that' I've been accused of mockery, or worse, having a hidden agenda of extreme anti- ______ ism. So basically the only way around that is to say nothing at all. That's not necessarily smart though, as then you might be taken as being in agreement. We have the right, even duty, to state our personal views.