• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there a reason?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Why do some people make fun of other peoples beliefs?
Why do some people make fun of religious practice?
Why do some people make fun of people who dedicate their life to the spiritual?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I would say they dont understand any view but their own. Empirical objective evidence or nothing seems to be the standard they desire everyone to conform to.

They simply are not aware of any spiritual sense, and equate the pursuit with that of magic.

The big mistake is that they see no substance to it. It aint real to them therefore it aint real.

False pride in their one and only way of life.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

I'm sure there are several reasons. But I won't speak for others. I'll only speak for myself.

For me, I make fun of a lot of things in life, including myself and my own behaviors and actions. I like to laugh.

Of course, I'm careful about making fun at the expense of others and exercise discretion, but I think often people are too sensitive and tend to take things personally when they shouldn't. If one doesn't allow oneself to be susceptible to the judgment of others (and self-judgment, for that matter) that would likely lead one to more happiness and personal freedom.

If one makes fun of your beliefs, religious practices, or dedication to spirituality, does this somehow diminish their value to you? Does it matter what others think?

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Any number of a variety of reasons. There's simple denigration, of course, for the purpose of making themselves feel superior; there's actual hostility whereby they fear or resent what a particular belief is or simply that it is a different belief to theirs; then there's the slightly less diplomatic but equally plausible possibility that some beliefs are simply deserving of ridicule because people honestly find them ridiculous. There's lots of other possible reasons, but to list them exhaustively might be impossible.

See above.

See above.

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I'm sure there are several reasons. But I won't speak for others. I'll only speak for myself.

For me, I make fun of a lot of things in life, including myself and my own behaviors and actions. I like to laugh.

Of course, I'm careful about making fun at the expense of others and exercise discretion, but I think often people are too sensitive and tend to take things personally when they shouldn't. If one doesn't allow oneself to be susceptible to the judgment of others (and self-judgment, for that matter) that would likely lead one to more happiness and personal freedom.

If one makes fun of your beliefs, religious practices, or dedication to spirituality, does this somehow diminish their value to you? Does it matter what others think?

First of all i would like to say i have not found your comments to be directly bad or evilminded toward other religions :) you can have some critique of topics with in religion, but that is not wrong.

Personally i do not get offended easy from members here who can be speaking torward my belief, i can handle that :) But when the qritique gets dirty and evilminded then i find those people to be of very low morality and disrespectful towrd other humn beings.

But the reson i opend the OP was because i noticed a change in the forum toward a more dark side, where it is more common to speak bad abut God, Jesus or other Deities. So i asked to find answer to how people think when they write an answer :)

I do not want to go after spesific members, because that would make me just as evil, and i dont want to be that way.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
But the reson i opend the OP was because i noticed a change in the forum toward a more dark side, where it is more common to speak bad abut God, Jesus or other Deities. So i asked to find answer to how people think when they write an answer :)

I do not want to go after spesific members, because that would make me just as evil, and i dont want to be that way.

I've just come to terms with the fact that some people are jerks. If their intent is to make diminish of the worldview of another with malicious intent, I simply ignore them and move on. I have little use for such people (unless I'm in a playful mood).

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
In the moment:

They like the way it makes them feel.

and/or

They like the reaction they get from their friends.

and/or

They don't see the harm in it.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I've just come to terms with the fact that some people are jerks. If their intent is to make diminish of the worldview of another with malicious intent, I simply ignore them and move on. I have little use for such people (unless I'm in a playful mood).
That is a good attitude :)

Jumi

There's the people who have actual criticism, skepticism or sometimes just honest disinterested question that gets taken as hostility. I think their motivations are fine. You notice them by the fact that they can change their views.

There's the people who are lazy and not listening who just repeat something they've heard before or some conclusion they reached before has been set in stone for them. It's not really malicious most of the time, but it can get boring to listen to.

Then there's the people who just love crossing the line with their biases, ignorance and such, I think they're trying to play the fool on purpose or trying to recruit more fools. They're the same kind of people who will hide your sandwiches at work, dump garbage on the street, make up gossip and other selfish acts thinking they're the king. Though they might only be people that act that way to relieve their stress online.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, sometimes watching people spread blue mud on their bellies is just funny. Especially if they are doing it solemnly.

Other times, mockery is the most effective reply to someone who is trying to force you to adopt their belief system.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
First of all i would like to say i have not found your comments to be directly bad or evilminded toward other religions :) you can have some critique of topics with in religion, but that is not wrong.

Personally i do not get offended easy from members here who can be speaking torward my belief, i can handle that :) But when the qritique gets dirty and evilminded then i find those people to be of very low morality and disrespectful towrd other humn beings.

One thing to remember is that a lot of people have had religious upbringings which can produce a lot of anger and resentment later in life. When one finds out that they've been hornswoggled and lied to - filled with a lot of empty promises that "God loves you" and "God has a plan for you" - then they might roll their eyes or speak negatively about those who spread such ideas, especially with children who are ill-equipped to challenge or critically analyze what they're being told.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Well, sometimes watching people spread blue mud on their bellies is just funny. Especially if they are doing it solemnly.

Other times, mockery is the most effective reply to someone who is trying to force you to adopt their belief system.
Why not just tell them no? insted of comment with something negative toward them? yes you might disagree with their belief or religion, but what give you right to mock them?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
One thing to remember is that a lot of people have had religious upbringings which can produce a lot of anger and resentment later in life. When one finds out that they've been hornswoggled and lied to - filled with a lot of empty promises that "God loves you" and "God has a plan for you" - then they might roll their eyes or speak negatively about those who spread such ideas, especially with children who are ill-equipped to challenge or critically analyze what they're being told.
Just because it did not fit you, does it get you the right to condem/mock those who do believe? Why not ask them out of your experiance to why they believe this things?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Why not just tell them no? insted of comment with something negative toward them? yes you might disagree with their belief or religion, but what give you right to mock them?

it depends. Sometimes they don't take 'no' for an answer. Sometimes they show up at my doorstep uninvited and interrupt something I was concentrating on.

Mockery is one effective way to deal with certain types of people: that's why we have comics, after all. And yes, sometimes we should mock ourselves.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Well I make fun of my own religious beliefs all the time in a joking manner(unfortunately there not too many jokes I can make about Quakers unless it's about oatmeal or George Fox...Nobody knows enough about Quakers to get most of my jokes )because I find it funny.Also make fun of other religious practices but not in a mean or offensive way and only around certain people who are ok with that.But I doubt that's what you are talking about here.I think you are talking about why they do so to be mean or offensive...I think there could be lots of reasons the main one being ignorance. Or they have a lack of empathy and just want to be rude. Or they have a huge problem with the belief for some reason and just don't control or think through their next actions...Those could be a few reasons.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
it depends. Sometimes they don't take 'no' for an answer. Sometimes they show up at my doorstep uninvited and interrupt something I was concentrating on.

Mockery is one effective way to deal with certain types of people: that's why we have comics, after all. And yes, sometimes we should mock ourselves.
I have had hundreds of different christians come to my door or stop me on the street in the town, but i have never mocked them for their belief. I just can not understand why mocking is not seen as something wrong.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Just because it did not fit you, does it get you the right to condem/mock those who do believe? Why not ask them out of your experiance to why they believe this things?

Depending on what you mean by "condemn" or "mock," the right itself rests in the right of free expression.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
They could also just not like the person and don't have the maturity to think of how they could make peace with one another.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I have had hundreds of different christians come to my door or stop me on the street in the town, but i have never mocked them for their belief. I just can not understand why mocking is not seen as something wrong.

Well, I will condemn those I find to be promoting immorality (for example, bigotry against gays). I will mock those that hold clearly silly ideas (that the Earth is only a few thousand years old), but generally only if they insist on such silliness.