• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Quran a "young earther"?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
If you look at the verses of Quran, where it says, 6 Days, it also says, a day is as a thousand year.
Thank you.
Very well. Why, then, a thousand years (22:47, 32:5) rather than fifty thousand years (70:4)? And when we read in Genesis ...

On the seventh day God finished the work that He had been doing, and He ceased on the seventh day from all the work that He had done.

And God blessed the seventh day and declared it holy, because on it God ceased from all the work of creation that He had done.​

... are we taking about a 24 hour Shabbat, an 8,760,000 hour Shabbat, or a 438,000,000 hour Shabbat?

firedragon

Veteran Member
If i recall correctly 1 day in heaven is like 50.000 years on earth, described in the quran
So that means creation took atleast 300.000 years seen from earth hours:)

Verse 70:4 I believe it is, have to check it to be sure.

Thats apologetics, not scholarship. I am sure you heard someone say this, but its absurd.

Because in another verse it says 1000 to one.

Anyway, we can discuss this in another thread.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I don't know what the Qur'an says or the 100 ways it is possible to interpret. What I do know is that outside of the US, YEC is only prevalent in majority Muslim countries. So it seems that a lot of Muslim think the Qur'an to be "young Earth".
And that's the important part. The Bible is young earth but most Christians don't take it literal or don't take it serious. That makes it possible for them to accept science.

Please provide some evidence. It would be interesting to know the validity of what you are saying,

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
I was told that since the Qur'an says the "heavens and the earth was created in six days" it is a young earther. The proposing evidence was this statement.

As most would already know and repeatedly heard throughout, this verse says "ayyam" which is a dual-plural term for day.

This is many times referred to a period of time, as in when someone speaks of stages. The language here is called majroor case where the noun is changing the meaning of the qualifying word. Thus, it does not mean one day as in 24 hours. This kind of argument is coming from the biblical background where many people thought that creation happened in six X 24 hour days.

Is there any other argument that shows that the Qur'an is a "young earther"?

Cheers.
The Koran is a young earther. But pay attention to this.

It says that they created the earth to appear like it was old.

InvestigateTruth

Thank you.
Very well. Why, then, a thousand years (22:47, 32:5) rather than fifty thousand years (70:4)?
Because within the context of the verses, right after saying creation is in six days, it says a day is 1000 years. The 50,000 years is in another chapter and related to something else.

And when we read in Genesis ...

On the seventh day God finished the work that He had been doing, and He ceased on the seventh day from all the work that He had done.

And God blessed the seventh day and declared it holy, because on it God ceased from all the work of creation that He had done.​

... are we taking about a 24 hour Shabbat, an 8,760,000 hour Shabbat, or a 438,000,000 hour Shabbat?
You know, I am a Bahai, so, I have a different interpretation. I believe Sabath Law is 24 hours, meaning for 24 hours no work. But, it is a symbol of completion of God's creation after end of 6 Days.

firedragon

Veteran Member
It is obvious that not one objective post describes their argument for the topic of the post. Of course neglecting the usual rhetoric.

Why not try to provide some mature responses? Only then, there could be a decent discourse.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Nope. Islam didn't contribute much to science after the 12th century. But credit where credit is due.

So you wish to have a thread on Science and Islam or Muslims after the 12th century? It would be an interesting thread, not relevant to this of course.

Just let me know. Knew discussions are always welcome.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Islam, in the Golden Age, was a boon for science, Baghdad the centre of the academic world. And then Al Ghazali happened.

Ah. I think this internet phenomenon of the 21st century has driven you to make this statement. I get it.

Very good. You are wrong though. Thats the problem of picking things off one speech or some little information you see here and there.

A little more research would be better.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Please provide some evidence. It would be interesting to know the validity of what you are saying,
"A 2007 study of religious patterns found that only 8% of Egyptians, 11% of Malaysians, 14% of Pakistanis, 16% of Indonesians, and 22% of Turks agree that Darwin's theory is probably or most certainly true, and a 2006 survey reported that about a quarter of Turkish adults agreed that human beings evolved from earlier animal species." - Creationism by country - Wikipedia

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Maybe they ought to update the Quran/Bible so it alines with scientific fact.

I don't think God would mind editing a little truth into the Bible.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I was told that since the Qur'an says the "heavens and the earth was created in six days" it is a young earther. The proposing evidence was this statement.

As most would already know and repeatedly heard throughout, this verse says "ayyam" which is a dual-plural term for day.

This is many times referred to a period of time, as in when someone speaks of stages. The language here is called majroor case where the noun is changing the meaning of the qualifying word. Thus, it does not mean one day as in 24 hours. This kind of argument is coming from the biblical background where many people thought that creation happened in six X 24 hour days.

Is there any other argument that shows that the Qur'an is a "young earther"?

Cheers.

One may like to view the following to understand Quran verse 7:55 :
The Holy Quran

Right friend, please?

Regards

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Because within the context of the verses, right after saying creation is in six days, it says a day is 1000 years. The 50,000 years is in another chapter and related to something else.
Fair enough.

You know, I am a Bahai, so, I have a different interpretation. I believe Sabath Law is 24 hours, meaning for 24 hours no work. But, it is a symbol of completion of God's creation after end of 6 Days.
But I didn't ask you about the "Sabath Law." So, let's try this again ...

According to Genesis:

God did stuff:
on the the first day
and the second day,
and the third day,
and the fourth day,
and the fifth day,
and the sixth day,
and rested on the seventh day.
Is it your belief that each was 1000 years?