• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Quran a "young earther"?

Baroodi

I was told that since the Qur'an says the "heavens and the earth was created in six days" it is a young earther. The proposing evidence was this statement.

As most would already know and repeatedly heard throughout, this verse says "ayyam" which is a dual-plural term for day.

This is many times referred to a period of time, as in when someone speaks of stages. The language here is called majroor case where the noun is changing the meaning of the qualifying word. Thus, it does not mean one day as in 24 hours. This kind of argument is coming from the biblical background where many people thought that creation happened in six X 24 hour days.

Is there any other argument that shows that the Qur'an is a "young earther"?

Cheers.
Quran says heavens and earth were created in 6 days. Interpreters and scholars says, the day of that 6 days was not like the day of our current time. It equals to 1000 of our day. Secod thing Quran didn't defined the age of the earth as Judaism did. Jews estimate the earth age by about 4000 years in contradiction to scientific evidence which suggests an age of 4500 million years as some extinct animals were created by more than 60 million years before humans. Quran ask humans to think and ponder how the creation started.( Say; walk on the earth and look how the creation started) 29:20
That means, humans are able to know this by studying materials around. Quran also says( Did not the unbeliever see that, The earth and the heavens were one unit and We separated them).

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
One thing I can reference is that Raelians believe the days of creations were 2160 years... the time it takes for the Sun to rise on a new zodiak sign I think.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I was told that since the Qur'an says the "heavens and the earth was created in six days" it is a young earther. The proposing evidence was this statement.

As most would already know and repeatedly heard throughout, this verse says "ayyam" which is a dual-plural term for day.

This is many times referred to a period of time, as in when someone speaks of stages. The language here is called majroor case where the noun is changing the meaning of the qualifying word. Thus, it does not mean one day as in 24 hours. This kind of argument is coming from the biblical background where many people thought that creation happened in six X 24 hour days.

Is there any other argument that shows that the Qur'an is a "young earther"?

Cheers.
If you're referring to me I said, "the Quran can be interpreted consistently from a young earth perspective in my opinion."

And challenged you, "I think it would be easier for the reverse to be proven. Find a verse which demonstrates that the earth is older than 6000 years and we will see if it can be interpreted consistently with a young earth."

So far it looks to me as though the only person who even bothered trying to answer the challenge is @Conscious thoughts in post #3, the obvious problem being that even if we allow for each day to be 50,000 years its still a young earth perspective in my opinion.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Thats apologetics, not scholarship. I am sure you heard someone say this, but its absurd.

Because in another verse it says 1000 to one.

Anyway, we can discuss this in another thread.
Kindly see Quran verse 70:4:
تَعْرُجُ الْمَلَائِكَةُ وَالرُّوحُ إِلَيْهِ فِي يَوْمٍ كَانَ مِقْدَارُهُ خَمْسِينَ أَلْفَ سَنَة
70:4 The angels and the Spirit ascend to HIM in a day, the measure of which is fifty thousand years
OOO

Right, please?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
@ all friends participating in this thread!
Kindly ponder on the relevant verses of Quran together with the following for correct understanding, please:
41:9 قُلْ أَئِنَّكُمْ لَتَكْفُرُونَ بِالَّذِي خَلَقَ الْأَرْضَ فِي يَوْمَيْنِ وَتَجْعَلُونَ لَهُ أَندَادًا ذَٰلِكَ رَبُّ الْعَالَمِين
41:9 Say, `Do you really disbelieve in HIM Who created the earth in two days? And do you set up equals to HIM?' That is the Lord of the worlds.
OOO
Right friends, please?

Regards

Cooky

Veteran Member
Islam, in the Golden Age, was a boon for science, Baghdad the centre of the academic world. And then Al Ghazali happened.

No, actually the Persian world had a Golden Age, despite islam. Kind of like their grand finale on the global stage.

Last edited:

Cooky

Veteran Member
Nope. Islam didn't contribute much to science after the 12th century. But credit where credit is due.

Surely You meant Persians instead of Islam... But actually, the Persians continue to contribute in ways.

InvestigateTruth

Fair enough.

But I didn't ask you about the "Sabath Law." So, let's try this again ...

According to Genesis:

God did stuff:
on the the first day
and the second day,
and the third day,
and the fourth day,
and the fifth day,
and the sixth day,
and rested on the seventh day.
Is it your belief that each was 1000 years?
Yes, according to Bahai belief each Day is 1000 years in Genesis. However, we view this as spiritual creation, related to Adamic cycle. Bahai scriptures says before Adam there were humans for millions of years. What Genesis is symbolically representing is how God will create human civilizations starting from Adam.
For example God said, let be light, means, God wanted to bring guidance to humanity by sending Prophets successively. " Light "is symbol of "guidance". So, in Bahai view, the statements in Genesis are partly prophetic, even though they may not appear so. The end of the Sixth Day, or the 6000 years period is the Manifestation of the Bab, which is the End of World, and the beginning of the seventh Day, is Manifestation of Baha'u'llah, beginning of the new World (or the World to come).

Cooky

Veteran Member
Religion, Islam, apple : country, Persian, orange.

It's just that giving credit to Islam instead of the Persian people, for the Golden Age, is severely misplaced.

...Islam has absolutely no relationship with what came from the Golden Age. In fact, the Golden age occured despite Islam.

firedragon

Veteran Member
It's just that giving credit to Islam instead of the Persian people, for the Golden Age, is severely misplaced.

...Islam has absolutely no relationship with what came from the Golden Age. In fact, the Golden age occured despite Islam.

Lol. Despite Islam you say?

Shows what should be shown.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Kindly see Quran verse 70:4:
تَعْرُجُ الْمَلَائِكَةُ وَالرُّوحُ إِلَيْهِ فِي يَوْمٍ كَانَ مِقْدَارُهُ خَمْسِينَ أَلْفَ سَنَة
70:4 The angels and the Spirit ascend to HIM in a day, the measure of which is fifty thousand years
OOO

Right, please?

Regards

Right please.

Already answered.