• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the following atheist tactic good sportsmanship or not?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
There is nothing wrong with enjoying and even celebrating myths as along as we're honest with ourselves and acknowledge that they are indeed myths. People do the same with Star Wars and Harry Potter in an almost quasi-religious way and none of them substitute their favorite fantasy stories with reality.

Jeremiah

"Is the following atheist tactic good sportsmanship or not?"

Who really cares? Looks pretty harmless to me, so let them do what they want.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The problem, in my mind, is the state of civic discourse in this country, and not just about God. Politics is even worse. Nobody seems to take the high road anymore, and we're all suffering for it. The solution is not to eliminate discourse, however. Someone needs to lead by example.
"High road" discourse doesn't generally take place on billboards anyhow. And the fact that "low road" billboards are there doesn't seem to have prevented higher-level discourse on these sorts of subjects:

CBC News - Canada - Hitchens apparent winner in religion debate

Someone needs to put another billboard right below that one that says "Well duh, and thanks for ruining it for the kids".
The billboard doesn't say anything about Santa, so I think the kids will be okay. :D

Who do they think will convert to atheism because of this?
Nobody.

As the OP pointed out, the target of this billboard is "closet atheists". They're not looking to convert people to atheism; they're looking to convince closeted atheists to be honest about their beliefs.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
There is nothing wrong with enjoying and even celebrating myths as along as we're honest with ourselves and acknowledge that they are indeed myths. People do the same with Star Wars and Harry Potter in an almost quasi-religious way and none of them substitute their favorite fantasy stories with reality.
Fine, but that has nothing to do with atheism.

Man of Faith

Most atheists that I have debated say that "they could be wrong", so saying that they know it's a myth is a stretch. Unless they are just trying to reinforce to the atheist that they don't see any evidence for it, so know could mean believe.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Most atheists that I have debated say that "they could be wrong", so saying that they know it's a myth is a stretch. Unless they are just trying to reinforce to the atheist that they don't see any evidence for it, so know could mean believe.

Even if god existed it wouldn't necessarily make all of the ridiculous things that man has attributed to god true.

bhaktajan

Originally Posted by Midnight Pete
Who do they think will convert to atheism because of this?

Are all the world's prisons filled with Religious Zealots?
Are all the world's Law Courtrooms filled Lawyer who are Religious Scholars arguing theology?

Do insurance companies insure religious dictums?

Do pharmacutical companies insure themselves from religious dictums overdoses?

Are hate crimes preceeded by religious debates?

Some group simply posted the billboard so as to brag about it to their stripper girlfreinds . . . or worse.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I'm not sure it's in bad taste, but it's not a billboard I'd put up. Christmas has become such a secular holiday that it's not the best target for attack. I'm an atheist and I celebrate Christmas and I celebrate reason. Basically, I guess I'm saying it's not so much bad taste, but it seems ineffective and misdirected.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
I'm not sure it's in bad taste, but it's not a billboard I'd put up. Christmas has become such a secular holiday that it's not the best target for attack. I'm an atheist and I celebrate Christmas and I celebrate reason. Basically, I guess I'm saying it's not so much bad taste, but it seems ineffective and misdirected.
I agree for the most part, particularly with the "ineffective" thing. Maybe I'm just a jaded Los Angeles commuter but I haven't paid attention to a billboard in a long time. They seem like such a quaint way to advertise, kind of like putting your crappy band on MySpace. Does anyone pay attention to either one anymore?

I guess I'm wrong since I just read that revenue generated by billboard ads declined last year but are still doing better than radio and TV ads, while internet ads are growing steadily. :shrug:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
It does, however, have something to do with the discussion. You may have noticed people in the thread claiming that calling something a myth ruins it for children. That's what I was addressing.
Sorry; I read it wrong.

In regard to ruining it for the kids, I think the presence of a billboard representing adults having something to fight about would ruin it more.

Erebus

I don't see any real problem with the billboard, but I don't see any real use for it either.

You don't really get many religious billboards in England since the older generations tend to be liberal Christians and the younger ones are often atheist/agnostic. Neither group particularly cares a massive amount about religion, so billboards would be largely ignored.
Still, when I see the American billboards (both the christian ones and this atheist one) I can't help but think, "right... what are you trying to sell?" they just don't influence me towards the religion... or non-religion. In fact, I suspect the atheist billboard could be more detrimental than anything. From what I've heard, atheists aren't exactly popular in America and if an atheist group (what exactly would an atheist group do or discuss anyway? "So, we're all agreed there is no god then? Good, see you all next week.") comes across as even remotely whiny, the reaction to them probably won't be a good one.