• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the following atheist tactic good sportsmanship or not?

waitasec

Veteran Member
this billboard is doing exactly what it is intended for. to start a conversation.

if 'emancipation proclamation' were on a billboard when the status quo would protest such an idea i see no difference of how the religious right approach atheism.

it's much more than the christmas story, it's about the manufacture of our consent.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
You didn't. But you were suggesting that it was a problem, no? Doesn't a problem imply a preference for its non-existence?
The problem, in my mind, is the state of civic discourse in this country, and not just about God. Politics is even worse. Nobody seems to take the high road anymore, and we're all suffering for it. The solution is not to eliminate discourse, however. Someone needs to lead by example.

The problem, in my mind, is the state of civic discourse in this country, and not just about God. Politics is even worse. Nobody seems to take the high road anymore, and we're all suffering for it. The solution is not to eliminate discourse, however. Someone needs to lead by example.
Yes. But of course those who lead by example, the example being those who live without the discourse you speak of are often shunned, ridiculed and even crucified. We are so caught up in the discourse itself that it is difficult for most to imagine what it would be like without it. The common belief is that it can't be changed and so we try and make or way through it as best we can. Those who believe otherwise find themselves alone.
Where are you guys?
I know I'm not the only one!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
What's wrong with fighting fire with fire?

More stuff gets burned. ;)

I'm not against religious oriented and secular billboards, yet like political trash talk in advertising and getting a message across, folks get the impression they are dealing with quarreling 3 year olds.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Someone needs to put another billboard right below that one that says "Well duh, and thanks for ruining it for the kids".

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I find the billboard quite likeable, myself. I don't understand why people would object to it. Surely people are allowed to disagree with its message, as they can with any other billboard.

outhouse

Atheistically
the only way it would ruin xmas is if the parents told the kids what it means anyway.

xmas is commercialized Santa anymore and has little to do with jesus birthday anyway that wasnt even on that day.

Tathagata

Freethinker
It's using a logical fallacy.

Please name the formal name of the logical fallacy, because from what I can tell, it's merely an imperative statement which cannot be even considered for classification as a logical fallacy.

There is no reason you cannot celebrate logic and Christmas at the same time.

That's not what the sign is saying. It's simply saying that you recognize that Christmas is a myth. That doesn't mean you can't celebrate it. Just like the Easter Bunny is a myth, we still celebrate Easter. So celebrating reason means celebrating Christmas while acknowledging that it's all just a myth.

dogsgod

Pointing out the fact that the myth is a myth would seem redundant, but in actuality it's a cause for discussion. That in itself should say something about religious beliefs and their fragile state.

ellenjanuary

How is a billboard good sportsmanship? Can we all have a billboard? I'd put Gwynnie on mine. :D

I can't see how it affects children. Ain't like it's saying Santa is a myth - that'd be messed up. But if it inspires a child to ask "what is a myth," it would give the parents an opportunity to explain in whatever manner they choose... based on the numbers, the atheists would be thus shooting themselves in the foot.

Whoever said "tax write-off," that's probably it. Doesn't seem like it would do any good otherwise. Make more sense to burn a coupla of those "religious right" freaks at the stake... that'd even things up a bit. :D

Sententia

It isn't any worse than some of religious billboards that've been around. Such as:

atheist_billboard.jpg

Billboard_smaller.jpg
christianbillboard.jpg
IMG_3124.jpg

When it comes to bad taste, the christians have the atheists beat. ;)

I am one of the most patient people you will ever meet... (Based on the people I have met hee hee) But... Do not respect or encourage ignorance.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
"Ruining it for the kids." Can't children still have fun without having to be deceived? Besides, I'm fairly certain a child's excitement comes from the prospect of gifts rather than the virgin birth of baby Jesus.

The Neo Nerd

“I don’t think it’s any good for the kids. I’ve got a 7-year-old daughter — she believes in Christmas,” one woman told 1010 WINS’ Terry Sheridan."
Hey i believe in xmas to.

I believe in the christmas tree (a pagan symbol)

I believe in giving present (a pagan practise)

Strangely enough i never believed in santa claus. But then again i don't believe in mythical, invisible unproven figures made up to make people behave themselves.

I believe in getting together with family and friends (a socially dictated custom)

I believe in getting up and drinking beers with my family at 7 in the morning whilst dad cooks breakfast on the barbecue (a family tradition).

I believe in trifle (another family tradition)

Christmas is so full of symbolism and practises that have nothing to do with christianity.

People are stupid if they think xmas originated with jesus.

-Q

nrg

It's using a logical fallacy. There is no reason you cannot celebrate logic and Christmas at the same time.
Not saying I agree with you, but what does that have to do with anything? I was not aware that putting up logical fallacies on bill boards isn't kosher.

And isn't that even better for the Christian community, since it shines a bad light on atheism?

kai

ragamuffin
I think its a myth------ but i love Christmas ho ho merry Christmas and all that, its great