• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the following atheist tactic good sportsmanship or not?

dogsgod

Pointing out the myth or condemning non conformists to burn in Hell, you decide which is less sportsmanlike.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Pointing out the myth or condemning non conformists to burn in Hell, you decide which is less sportsmanlike.
That wasn't the question, either. The fact that the other "team" is worse doesn't make this any better.

jmvizanko

Uber Tool
I think its bad taste to attack Christmas, for no other reason than children.

Now attacking the irrational basis for believing or its bad consequences like antiscience and social intolerance, with billboards, is entirely different. I think its important to call the majority on its BS, so we arent going back a century with science education and civil rights.

gnomon

Never mind the fact of the matter that is really is myth.

Or that the wise men didn't visit a manger.

Nor did the angels go to a house.

And if people accept the mash up and disparate stories of Luke and Matthew and state it is not to be taken literally than what else do they think mythology is.

And compared to the fire and brimstone billboards, the assertion that atheists are anti-american, etc. we see that on one side we have actual personal attacks and on the other stating something for exactly what it is.

The only issue here is that the majority culture is Christian and a majority of them do not accept reference to their religion as mythology yet we accept that this same group has no problem referring to other religions as mythological or even worse.

Oh well.

In the long run I really don't care.

It's just another damned billboard.

edit: And of course there is this one caveat. The creators of the billboard may very well be using myth in the derogatory sense many people often use the term. In that case, I can see it as simply crude.

dust1n

Zindīq
In this case, the rather pathetic state of public conversation on God.

Eliminating religious-based billboards is suppose to fix that? I would honestly be more worried about alcohol advertising on the side of roads.

It never ceases to amaze me how we humans will take sides when it is BLATANTLY obvious that NEITHER side has done ANYTHING but attack based upon ASSUMED knowledge. What else is there not to get?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
"NORTH BERGEN, N.J. (1010 WINS) – An atheist group that has paid for a large billboard outside the Lincoln Tunnel reading “You KNOW it’s a Myth” says it is targeting “closet” atheists as part of its Christmas season campaign.

The large billboard featuring a silhouette of a traditional manger scene is located on the New Jersey side of the tunnel and sponsored by a group called American Atheists.
american-atheists-billboard.jpg

The billboard is causing some controversy among those in the Garden State.

“I don’t think it’s any good for the kids. I’ve got a 7-year-old daughter — she believes in Christmas,” one woman told 1010 WINS’ Terry Sheridan."
source

Video News report

video-on-demand-news
Good sportsmanship? I don't know --is it good sportsmanship to display your ignorance of myth in such a bold manner?