• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the following atheist tactic good sportsmanship or not?

Skwim

Veteran Member
"NORTH BERGEN, N.J. (1010 WINS) – An atheist group that has paid for a large billboard outside the Lincoln Tunnel reading “You KNOW it’s a Myth” says it is targeting “closet” atheists as part of its Christmas season campaign.

The large billboard featuring a silhouette of a traditional manger scene is located on the New Jersey side of the tunnel and sponsored by a group called American Atheists.
american-atheists-billboard.jpg

The billboard is causing some controversy among those in the Garden State.

“I don’t think it’s any good for the kids. I’ve got a 7-year-old daughter — she believes in Christmas,” one woman told 1010 WINS’ Terry Sheridan."
source

Video News report

video-on-demand-news

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
It is, presumably, a private billboard. They can put anything non-obscene they want on it, as far as I'm concerned.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Good sportsmanship? No, I don't think so. It's tame, but still a bit rude.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't know about poor sportsmanship but it's definitely poor taste. Out of all possible ways for an atheist to advertise atheism, pointing out that the Christmas story is a myth doesn't seem to be high up on the list of importance or impact.

I saw two billboards the other day. One of them provided scripture saying women should be submissive to men, and the second one said something along the lines of everybody being equal and free, and then provided a link to some secular humanist website. I think that sort of advertising is more useful, as it focuses on building up something (secular humanism) rather than specifically attacking a myth.

It is a common form of advertizing. The premise assumes you KNOW something. And that what is known is evidently true. Pure rhetoric of course, but it does work.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Why would whether or not it's a myth have any influence on whether or not someone celebrates Christmas? I believe it's a myth, and I still celebrate Christmas.

As it stands, it's crude, and definitely bad sportsmanship. (In a sports parallel, it's probably akin to telling the other team "you KNOW you're going to lose, just give up, already") Their target audience will most likely simply look away and ignore it, as they should.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It isn't any worse than some of religious billboards that've been around. Such as:

atheist_billboard.jpg

Billboard_smaller.jpg
christianbillboard.jpg
IMG_3124.jpg

When it comes to bad taste, the christians have the atheists beat. ;)

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
It isn't any worse than some of religious billboards that've been around. Such as:

No, it's no worse. Not really any better either.

Bad taste is bad taste, regardless of the message.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
It isn't any worse than some of religious billboards that've been around.
True, but the other "team's" poor sportsmanship does not excuse one's own.

Now don't get me wrong - I'm not saying it shouldn't be allowed. But it puts me in mind of a quote from MythBusters: "It would be all too easy for [Jamie's team] to abandon the high road and cheat themselves.... So, that's exactly what they do."

Well, they've had more practice. ;)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

atheist_billboard.jpg

Billboard_smaller.jpg
christianbillboard.jpg
IMG_3124.jpg

It's counter-productive for atheists to engage in such provocations.
We don't need to advertise anyway....especially with ads like the ones above ones doing the job for us.

Last edited:

dogsgod

Because of church state separation believers can no longer burn or boil atheists alive for making such unsportsmanlike messages.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I think they should have spent the big bucks on one of those electronic message boards so they could depict robots shooting lasers at Jesus.

...or, yeah, I agree it's in poor taste. As someone mentioned about the secular board responding to the misogynistic board, I think something like that would have been better.

Riverwolf

Premium Member

atheist_billboard.jpg

Billboard_smaller.jpg
christianbillboard.jpg
IMG_3124.jpg

Oh, absolutely no doubt about that. The atheist one may be crude, but those border on outright offensive (besides being outright wrong, where the atheist one is up for debate.)

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Personally, I've always believed that turnabout was fair play. Sometimes the best medicine is a dose of ones own.

True, but then there's "two wrongs don't make a right."

In a hate-filled competition, both sides need to make sure they don't turn into that which they hate. An atheist proselytizer is no different than a theist proselytizer.