• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the following atheist tactic good sportsmanship or not?

Matthew78

aspiring biblical scholar
Thank God we (USA and Australia) developed from a Christian heritage and because of this free-thinking and expressing one's opinion is part of our cultural mindset.

I'm yet to see an athiest with enough courage to post up a billboard depicting Mohammed, with words emblazoned below it "Don't have a cow...it's just a profile pic"

What does "developed from a Christian heritage" mean? You realize that several of America's founding fathers were in fact deists and Unitarians, right? Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Paine, and others. I realize that many fundamentalist Christians would love it if they could prove that every last one of our founding fathers from Franklin to Jefferson was a born-again, Bible-believing Christian, but it's just not so. I'm grateful for it, too. I have much, much more respect for people like Franklin and Jefferson than someone like the late Jerry Falwell or Pat Robertson.

e2ekiel

:sarcastic That Christian heritage was a lot less free-thinking before the secular Enlightenment.

What was the culture from which the "Enlightment" took root? You can't isolate a "movement" without taking into consideration the foundations on which is purports to change. The Enlightment is but a vapour of thought that barely lasted 200 years because the pillars on which is stood crumbled under it's own inconsistencies. The world has moved on and Jesus is still at the forefront of thought and going on 2000 years.

Are you familiar with "Everyone Draw Muhammad Day"?

YES, the analysis of the major newspapers around the world was that "Everyone Draw Muhammad Day" was "crude", "offensive" and a "silly Facebook Initiative".

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What was the culture from which the "Enlightment" took root? You can't isolate a "movement" without taking into consideration the foundations on which is purports to change.
Of course - it makes so much sense to me now: when a movement rejects the mainstream ideology, it's actually rooting itself in that ideology. :sarcastic

The Enlightment is but a vapour of thought that barely lasted 200 years because the pillars on which is stood crumbled under it's own inconsistencies. The world has moved on and Jesus is still at the forefront of thought and going on 2000 years.
That seems to me to be a very skewed and inaccurate view of history.

YES, the analysis of the major newspapers around the world was that "Everyone Draw Muhammad Day" was "crude", "offensive" and a "silly Facebook Initiative".
Please be careful with that goalpost. Moving it so far so fast, you might hurt your back.

Your original point was that atheists didn't have the "courage" to take on radical Muslims. Regardless of your opinion of the campaign, it's clear that many atheists have done just that, so your point is refuted.

idav

Being
Premium Member
The billboard is causing some controversy among those in the Garden State.

“I don’t think it’s any good for the kids. I’ve got a 7-year-old daughter — she believes in Christmas,” one woman told 1010 WINS’ Terry Sheridan."
source

Video News report

video-on-demand-news
I'd be relieved to see a billboard like that instead of all the 'Jesus Saves' billboards and commercials.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
"NORTH BERGEN, N.J. (1010 WINS) – An atheist group that has paid for a large billboard outside the Lincoln Tunnel reading “You KNOW it’s a Myth” says it is targeting “closet” atheists as part of its Christmas season campaign.

The large billboard featuring a silhouette of a traditional manger scene is located on the New Jersey side of the tunnel and sponsored by a group called American Atheists.
american-atheists-billboard.jpg

The billboard is causing some controversy among those in the Garden State.

“I don’t think it’s any good for the kids. I’ve got a 7-year-old daughter — she believes in Christmas,” one woman told 1010 WINS’ Terry Sheridan."
source

Video News report

video-on-demand-news
I wouldn't say it's "bad sportsmanship." I would say it's a terrible argument and a huge waste of money.

Acim

Revelation all the time
Actually seems pretty tame to me.

I'm curious what 'good sportsmanship' on a billboard would look like. Perhaps, something like, "atheists wish everyone a happy and warm season." That would be really a surprise, but I'd like to think possible. Hmm, that would almost make atheists likable, though who wants to be around that? (jk)

Skwim

Veteran Member
I wouldn't say it's "bad sportsmanship." I would say it's a terrible argument and a huge waste of money.
I see it as a message to those struggling with Christianity:

Your doubts are justified.
Don't be afraid to jump off the band wagon
You'll have a lot of company if you do

sojourner

What was the culture from which the "Enlightment" took root? You can't isolate a "movement" without taking into consideration the foundations on which is purports to change. The Enlightment is but a vapour of thought that barely lasted 200 years because the pillars on which is stood crumbled under it's own inconsistencies. The world has moved on and Jesus is still at the forefront of thought and going on 2000 years.
I beg to differ. The Enlightenment represented a HUGE paradigm shift in human thought that has repercussions even now. Yes, the world has moved on from modernism into post-modernism. However, "Jesus" (in the classical sense) is not "at the forefront of thought." This is evidenced by the obsolescence of Platonic and Aristotlean thought, which sought to make "Jesus" a univocal, hierarchical avatar. The thinking now seems to be of "Jesus" as embodied in many diverse voices -- the most immediate of which lie at the bottom of the ladder.

sojourner

I see it as a message to those struggling with Christianity:

Your doubts are justified.
Don't be afraid to jump off the band wagon
You'll have a lot of company if you do

We should all be struggling with Xy, because Xy is no longer thought of as the truth (except among those who refuse to move into the 21st century). Xy represents, not the revelation of absolute truth, but a conversation between people of different stances. It represents a dance floor upon which many different dances may be showcased and enjoyed.

First of all, no one in this century is arguing the mythic nature of the birth-narratives. Second, to assume that "reason" is the be-all-end-all of disciplinary tools is simply outmoded thinking. Reason is one tool among many. Reason and myth can (and should) stand side-by-side and inform each other.

Most importantly: No one need jump off the band wagon, unless one smells bacon cooking (to use the logic of a friend of ours).

crocusj

I'm curious what 'good sportsmanship' on a billboard would look like. Perhaps, something like, "atheists wish everyone a happy and warm season." That would be really a surprise, but I'd like to think possible. Hmm, that would almost make atheists likable, though who wants to be around that? (jk)
I'm just amazed that its up in September! "Atheists wish everyone a happy and godless season" might be nice. But you're right. Who does want to be around that? Atheists having a "message" is like bald people having a message. Belief in God should carry no weight in our society nor should lack of belief, otherwise we might well cut off our noses to spite ourselves.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Seeing how the slogan "Don't believe in God? You are not alone" has been rejected by several transit and advertising companies as "too controversial", I've personally decided that it's a bit of a fool's errand to try and come up with an atheist ad that isn't going to tick at least some people off.

When someone finds the mere existence of atheists offensive, their opinion stops mattering to me.

Skwim

Veteran Member
We should all be struggling with Xy, because Xy is no longer thought of as the truth (except among those who refuse to move into the 21st century). Xy represents, not the revelation of absolute truth, but a conversation between people of different stances. It represents a dance floor upon which many different dances may be showcased and enjoyed.
"xy" ? Are you not allowed to write the word "Christianity"?

First of all, no one in this century is arguing the mythic nature of the birth-narratives. Second, to assume that "reason" is the be-all-end-all of disciplinary tools is simply outmoded thinking. Reason is one tool among many. Reason and myth can (and should) stand side-by-side and inform each other. (to use the logic of a friend of ours).
Well, I can see the appearance of myth as a signal that one has strayed off the path of reason. Other than that I see no other use of it as a "tool."

darkstar

The only problem I have with this is a question of ethics and morality.
Atheists rightfully complain about Christians preaching to them, trying to convert them etc.
So why are they doing the same thing? It makes no sense and is hypocritical.

Legally they're within their rights to do this. Legally so are the Christians. But two wrongs don't make a right, and reducing yourself down to the level of your attackers is really dumb. In my opinion, Atheists just started losing the high ground regarding morality with their arguments.

Rasheed Saeed

Personally, I think there is nothing wrong with this. People have posted up Judgement day and God words and how the planet should be run by his book.

Meh..

Skwim

Veteran Member
The only problem I have with this is a question of ethics and morality.
Atheists rightfully complain about Christians preaching to them, trying to convert them etc.
So why are they doing the same thing? It makes no sense and is hypocritical.
Maybe they simply got tired of it all and decided to fire a shot back at the Christian armada. Like taking a swing at the school bully; while stooping to his level it's still an understandable human reaction. Would you not take such a swing, or would you simply take his abuse?

darkstar

Maybe they simply got tired of it all and decided to fire a shot back at the Christian armada. Like taking a swing at the school bully; while stooping to his level it's still an understandable human reaction. Would you not take such a swing, or would you simply take his abuse?

I'm all for self defense. And I'm a big fan of things like "The Atheist Experience" and various methods of reaching out to people that volunteer to listen and discuss.

However, there's a difference in defending oneself and preaching in the same manner as the attackers. I believe that they are within their rights to do this.
HOWEVER I also believe that Atheists complaining about the Christians preaching to them now have no ground to stand on. I wouldn't be surprised if a particularly clever Christian started carrying around pictures of this and other billboards, and upon being attacked for preaching, hand it to the Atheist in question and tell them fair is fair.

As I said, two wrongs don't make a right. When you're no better than they are, you have little right to complain. It sucks and I agree that when you have had enough it makes actions like that easier.

But while punching the bully might feel good at the moment, you have to be ready for when the bully punches back. And based on the outspoken Christians that attack everyone else different already.... This could get ugly.

Spirited

Bring about world peace
Is the following atheist tactic good sportsmanship or not?

No. They believe that they have a message that will improve peoples lives, I disagree but I will defend their right to say it to the death.

It's not terribly tasteful, but it's better than other signs I've seen in NJ for "adult toys" and such, I find it is no more offensive to small children than that.

darkstar

No. They believe that they have a message that will improve peoples lives, I disagree but I will defend their right to say it to the death.

It's not terribly tasteful, but it's better than other signs I've seen in NJ for "adult toys" and such, I find it is no more offensive to small children than that.

Holy Jebus.... we agree on something. :eek:

Acim

Revelation all the time
Seeing how the slogan "Don't believe in God? You are not alone" has been rejected by several transit and advertising companies as "too controversial", I've personally decided that it's a bit of a fool's errand to try and come up with an atheist ad that isn't going to tick at least some people off.

I don't see why atheists couldn't share greetings that are secular and not bring up the obvious rejection / rebellion that they have?

To be clear, when I see billboards by religious zealots, I see them as intending to be offensive, and own version of rebelling.

For free speech purposes, I'm glad all this exists. For claim of "no really we are good, civilized people," I just would like to see messages around that are atheists not making the obvious point that atheist might, and instead something that would be hard to argue that some atheists are 'decent folk.' A la, message of "atheists gladly wishing one and all a nice day." Would that sort of billboard be hard for atheists to put up? Oh wait, I had the word "wishing" in there. Might need some work.