• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Science the Whore of Babylon? (Bible term)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Science has done two things: created viruses for bio-weaponry (to reduce the less rich population), and created the shots against them. Business and pleasure.

Rand Paul says a lot of things, and that's not a compliment btw. He loves to grandstand, so it's quite difficult to always tell if he's putting on a show or whether he actually believes in some of the nonsense he mouths.
@questfortruth -

I have never seen anyone else so intent, so eager, to marginalize themselves, to make themselves totally irrelevant.
How about Giuliani?

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
Science has done two things: created viruses for bio-weaponry (to reduce the less rich population), and created the shots against them. Business and pleasure.

Here, this should help rule out some things (like science) that don't really fit all those prophecies (by including more of the parts instead of leaving them out):
What is the whore of Babylon / mystery Babylon? | GotQuestions.org
A more reasonable fit might be the programming (gradual cultural conditioning) towards materialistic over indulgence that for instance American culture has gradually become and has spread around the world.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Here, this should help rule out some things (like science) that don't really fit all those prophecies (by including more of the parts instead of leaving them out):
What is the whore of Babylon / mystery Babylon? | GotQuestions.org
A more reasonable fit might be the programming (gradual cultural conditioning) towards materialistic over indulgence that for instance American culture has gradually become and has spread around the world.
Your link is nonsensical and displays religious bigotry as "Babylon the Great" was used as a reference to the Roman Empire, not the "Roman" Catholic Church as the Roman Empire was an enemy of the Church.

Ya, I was taught the same nonsense when I was a child growing up in my fundamentalist Protestant church but left it in my mid-20's when I finally did do the "homework".

F1fan

Veteran Member
It wasn't science that dropped the bombs.
Exactly. Scientists who developed nuclear power actually wanted the atomic bomb demonstrated to an international audience and not used on targets where many civilians would die. It was a political decision to reject this and make an example of two cities.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
Your link is nonsensical and displays religious bigotry as "Babylon the Great" was used as a reference to the Roman Empire, not the "Roman" Catholic Church as the Roman Empire was an enemy of the Church.

Ya, I was taught the same nonsense when I was a child growing up in my fundamentalist Protestant church but left it in my mid-20's when I finally did do the "homework".
You do realize I'm not you, yes? It seems above you are attempting to suggest I'm just you from your 20s in that regard. Obviously impossible, but also not even likely to be partly similar.

I'm not the author of that link, but it illustrates that there is more than 1 verse involved and that the identity of Babylon here is a mystery (a non-trivial mystery). By the way, I'm not anti-Catholic.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
And christians used them
Good point. It was ultimately built by a lot of Jews who were scared Hitler might get it first. But the protested it's use, because Hitler was defeated without and the clock was winding down for Japan.
But those god-fearing Christian men went ahead and used it anyways just to test it out and see what it can do. Such ad how Nagasaki wasn't the original target, but it had been spared prior bombing (unlike the original target) and thus was selected to see the full destructive capabilities of the bomb.

RestlessSoul

No, but I've seen nuclear reactors create power for cities.

I don’t think anyone is denying mankind’s remarkable history of scientific achievements. But you cannot, as a champion of Science, demand adulation for those achievements without at least acknowledging the part scientific discoveries have contributed, in bringing us to the brink of self annihilation.