• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Science the Whore of Babylon? (Bible term)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
the identity of Babylon here is a mystery (a non-trivial mystery).
Actually it's really not a mystery as we know how that was used and why. "Babylon" was an empire that forced Jews out of their homeland and into Babylon in the 5th century bce, whereas they suffered immensely. The Romans did exactly the same to the early Church through persecution during Jesus' time, and therefore "Great" probably was added because of the much larger size of the Roman v Babylonian Empire.

By the way, I'm not anti-Catholic.
Glad to hear that, and I'm truly sorry that I attached bigotry to your motive. I oppose any and all religious bigotry, and I'm now getting the "vibe" that you do too.

Take care.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
Actually it's really not a mystery as we know how that was used and why. "Babylon" was an empire that forced Jews out of their homeland and into Babylon in the 5th century bce, whereas they suffered immensely. The Romans did exactly the same to the early Church through persecution during Jesus' time, and therefore "Great" probably was added because of the much larger size of the Roman v Babylonian Empire.

Yes, I've actually very recently read through Isaiah and Jeremiah, so that I've read their chapters about Babylon, and also I'm quite familiar with the Babylonian exile and so on. Also, I agree that in at least that verse Rome was painted with that wording. It does seem clear to me in the Revelation text though that there is that future Babylon situation (or which we might be already in or even entering (or if not then is a yet-to-come)). So, in addition to those past instances, that future one seems indicated. I think Revelation is intentionally mysterious in some ways regardless, in that it would not be best for all of it to be easy to understand and to lay out for personal gain.

metis

Also, I agree that in at least that verse Rome was painted with that wording. It does seem clear to me in the Revelation text though that there is that future Babylon situation (which we might be in or entering (or if not then is a yet to come)).
I can see why you might come to that conclusion, but the key is that such ancient Jewish literature sometimes uses a rather "circular" technique whereas time itself is "played with".

When written, Revelation reflects the hurt within the Christian (and Jewish) community, but as you read further, there's a warning and then a "hope" that emerges in the book whereas the Church will survive. IOW, it basically is saying, "Tough this out and stick together as we will eventually get out of this mess!", and they eventually did but not without this pattern being "rinse & repeat" until the 4th century.

So, the book starts out doom & gloom but ends up on a much more positive note. How do we know this? Because in the 2nd century Church writings bore out that this is how they were taking it as being a book of hope.

metis

No way!

Only false religion ‘fits the bill.’

IMO.
Let me link you to this:

Many Biblical scholars[7][8] believe that "Babylon" is a metaphor for the pagan Roman Empire at the time it persecuted Christians, before the Edict of Milan in 313. Some biblical scholars recognize that "Babylon" is a cipher for Rome or the Roman Empire but believe Babylon is not limited to the Roman city of the first century. Craig Koester says outright that "the whore is Rome, yet more than Rome."[9] It "is the Roman imperial world, which in turn represents the world alienated from God."[10] Some exegetes interpret the passage as a scathing critique of a servant people of Rome who do the Empire's bidding, interpreting that the author of Revelation was speaking of the Herodians—a party of Jews friendly to Rome and open to its influence, like the Hellenizers of centuries past—and later, corrupt Hasmoneans, where the ruler of Jerusalem or Roman Judea exercised his power at the pleasure of the Roman emperor, and was dependent on Roman influence, like Herod the Great in the Gospel of Luke.

In 4 Ezra,[11][12] 2 Baruch[13] and the Sibylline Oracles,[14] "Babylon" is a cryptic name for Rome.[15] Reinhard Feldmeier speculates that "Babylon" is used to refer to Rome in the First Epistle of Peter (1 Peter 5:13).[16] In Revelation 17:9 it is said that she sits on "seven mountains",[17] typically understood as the seven hills of Rome.[18][19][20][21][22] A Roman coin minted under the Emperor Vespasian (ca. 70 AD) depicts Rome as a woman sitting on seven hills.[23]

According to the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, "The characteristics ascribed to this Babylon apply to Rome rather than to any other city of that age: (a) as ruling over the kings of the earth (Revelation 17:18); (b) as sitting on seven mountains (Revelation 17:9); (c) as the center of the world's merchandise (Revelation 18:3, 11–13); (d) as the corrupter of the nations (Revelation 17:2; 18:3; 19:2); (e) as the persecutor of the saints (Revelation 17:6)."[24]

According to Eusebius of Caesarea Babylon would be Rome or the Roman Empire:

"And Peter makes mention of Mark in his first epistle which they say that he wrote in Rome itself, as is indicated by him, when he calls the city, by a figure, Babylon, as he does in the following words: «The church that is at Babylon, elected together with you, salutes you; and so does Marcus my son.»(1 Peter 5:13)"[25]
--https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whore_of_Babylon

Again, one needs to remember that when written in Revelation, "Rome" could not refer to the Church because it was an enemy of the Church.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
If science is the whore of babylon, then leave your house right now, leave all the electronics such as computers, stop taking any medicine of any kind, stop eating anything purified, pasturized or otherwise treated and go live in a tent and herd sheep.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
I can see why you might come to that conclusion, but the key is that such ancient Jewish literature sometimes uses a rather "circular" technique whereas time itself is "played with".
That sounds a lot like something I often say to others in our bible study groups: that in a given prophecy passage, very often more than one moment in time is being talked about. Time is mixed together. A description of something will sometimes deal with widely spaced apart moments in time.

When written, Revelation reflects the hurt within the Christian (and Jewish) community, but as you read further, there's a warning and then a "hope" that emerges in the book whereas the Church will survive. IOW, it basically is saying, "Tough this out and stick together as we will eventually get out of this mess!", and they eventually did but not without this pattern being "rinse & repeat" until the 4th century.

So, the book starts out doom & gloom but ends up on a much more positive note. How do we know this? Because in the 2nd century Church writings bore out that this is how they were taking it as being a book of hope.

Ah, again this reminds of how in a given book, there will be quite a mix of different things, including greetings, small concerns of the day, general principles, outright prophecies of the last days, amazing deep things (like in 1rst Corinthians chapter 13 about what is real love), exhortations, encouragements, and ordinary matters of the day.... all mixed up into one book.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I don’t think anyone is denying mankind’s remarkable history of scientific achievements. But you cannot, as a champion of Science, demand adulation for those achievements without at least acknowledging the part scientific discoveries have contributed, in bringing us to the brink of self annihilation.
Such follies falls upon the choices and aims of men, not the methodology of science.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Okay, I have to confess......science is indeed the Whore of Babylon.

Just last week I attended one of our monthly meetings where we scientists plotted new ways to blaspheme, fornicate, persecute Christians, and implement our one-world agenda.

The food and booze was really good! :D

Daemon Sophic

Okay, I have to confess......science is indeed the Whore of Babylon.

Just last week I attended one of our monthly meetings where we scientists plotted new ways to blaspheme, fornicate, persecute Christians, and implement our one-world agenda.

The food and booze was really good! :D
SHhhhhhhhh!! Aww Jeez! You’re not supposed to tell anyone about those meetings! :mad:

Remember, the first rule of Science Club, is you do not talk about Science Club.
o_O

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
SHhhhhhhhh!! Aww Jeez! You’re not supposed to tell anyone about those meetings! :mad:

Remember, the first rule of Science Club, is you do not talk about Science Club.
o_O
Sorry....I'll turn in my membership card.....er....um.....I mean....there is no card or anything to be a member of!

There, that oughta do it.

59122801.jpg

Clara Tea

Is science the Whore of Babylon? Science has done two things: created viruses for bio-weaponry (to reduce the less rich population), and created the shots against them. Business and pleasure.

Revelation 17:18: And the woman [Whore of Babylon] which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.

In biblical times, nations were referred to by their capital (or largest) cities. For example, Iraq was called Babylon, and that city of Babylon, many thousands of years old, still exists today.

So, the United States would be called Washington D.C.

The United States, in recent times, has been known for sexual misconduct. For example, the Monica Lewinsky scandal with President Bill Clinton, which didn't involve sexual intercourse, but did involve poking a cigar in a private part. Another example was President George H. W. Bush and his British secretary that he got a job in the Central Intelligence Agency (a clear security problem), Jennifer Fitzgerald. Bush and Fitzgerald did have sexual intercourse, and the story did make news (in the newspapers), but not nearly the sensational impact as the Clinton sex scandal, and there was no Ken Starr special investigator nor testimony before Congress for Bush. Apparently, Democrats and Republicans are treated differently for the same type of scandals.

Thus, the US was known for sexual misconduct.

Furthermore, Revelation (a chapter of the bible that predicts future events) described the Whore of Babylon as rich (the richest nation in the world, which, clearly is the United States). Revelation makes specific mention of pearls as decadent jewelry. Remember that Barbara Bush (1st lady) had bragged, on numerous occasions, about wearing her "simple pearl necklace."

The bible calls the United States the Whore of Babylon because it attacked, then occupied Babylon, and corrupted it. The US insisted that women not wear bhirkas. The US manipulated Iraqi elections to make sure that forces contrary to US interests could not have political power. Thus Mohammad Al Sodr was not allowed to hold political office. Bush named a city Sodr City to emphasize that the country ruled by terrorism would be a burned out husk and miserable place to live. Lacking an exit strategy, W. Bush (Bush Junior) had asked Sodr (a known terrorist) to take control of Iraq so he could evacuate military forces, but that plan was doomed to miserable failure.

The reason that the US is still in Iraq after all this decades, is that they don't want anti-US factions seizing political control. Thus, the US still has military soldiers in place (and will soon withdraw them per Biden's plan).

CREATION OF COVID:

Wuhan Institute of Virology - Wikipedia

Website (above) says: "In 2015, an international team including two scientists from the institute published successful research on whether a bat coronavirus could be made to infect HeLa. The team engineered a hybrid virus, combining a bat coronavirus with a SARS virus that had been adapted to grow in mice and mimic human disease. The hybrid virus was able to infect human cells." (In Hela, which are human lung cells in a petri dish).

This report was not published until 2020, so scientists didn't know that the research was done.

Website (above) says: "the new virus had 96% genetic similarity to RaTG13, a virus its researchers had discovered in horseshoe bats in southwest China."

Bats were not sold at the Wuhan wet market in the season that the pandemic broke out.

The bat cave is 93 miles away from the Wuhan Institute of virology, yet the pandemic outbreak occurred right next to the Wuhan Institute.

Almost all virus experts insist that the pandemic can't be man-made because this SARS hybrid would be made as a hybrid of SARS (or other virus that was known to attack human cells).

This makes no sense at all. A SARS hybrid is a hybrid of SARS (of course). So, the experts, who never read about the Wuhan Institute of Virology making the hybrid SARS-bat corona virus, don't know what they are talking about.

This info would be widely known if it were not for the fact that twitter and facebook (and others) remove posts about it. The White House Press Secretary, Jen Psaki, under Biden, just announced that they removed hundreds of thousands of posts that could mislead people about COVID. Granted, in a worldwide pandemic, governments should suspend free speech (and the rest of the Constitution), but a charismatic leader, like President John F. Kennedy, was able to convince a nation to fly to the moon. Surely charisma and hard facts could convince a nation to get COVID vaccine shots without the need to censor free speech.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, NIAID director, has, according to his emails, been funding various projects at the Wuhan Institute of Virology. Attorney Rudolph Giuliani and Senator Rand Paul, have questioned Fauci about his funding of virus research at Wuhan, only to get answers to different questions, while the central questions remained unansered. Could his testimony be tainted by his financial and biological involvements?

What is the advantage of paying China to do dangerous experiments on live viruses rather than doing them in the US? Well, one thing is that the US made treaties not to do bioweapon research.

China had protected itself from the pandemic while allowing the rest of the world to get infected. Then China seized Hong Kong, Taiwan, and the China Sea (vital to shipping). Due to the pandemic, China created the 2nd most powerful economy in the world, and has been buying up other nations (like communications companies in the US). The stand-off in the China Sea resulted in Trump sending an aircraft carrier, Russia sending a ship to counter the US and support China, and China flying mach 10 missiles over the ships as a show of force. The US only has mach 4 missiles, no match for speed with China, and no hope of knocking missiles out of the air before they hit targets. The US has expensive (and scrapped) SDI (starwars) beam weapons that "might" intercept a few missiles at great cost, unless they are shielded (which they likely are). In other words, the US is about 30 years behind China and other nations in military technology, having developed helicopters with machine guns for use in Iraq, rather than dealing with an all-out nuke war.

One of the most compelling reasons to believe that the pandemic was made in a lab is that it isn't behaving as a natural virus. A virus should rapidly undergo genetic mutation to adapt to a new host. Thus, as the virus goes from a bat to a human (perhaps through some unknown other animal), it should rapidly mutate to adapt to humans. The first few humans tested in China showed no mutation of their COVID. That indicates that the virus had been infecting humans for quite some time, and the only way that could be possible is if it was in a lab infecting Hela in a petri dish (and genetically adapting in the petri dish).

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I have enormous respect for science, and particularly for the spirit of scientific enquiry. But we have to concede that, without the huge leaps forward science took in the early part of the 20th Century, Hiroshima and Nagasaki would still be standing.
And without the work of Crick and Watson, we'd be in no danger from genetically-modified organisms. Of course, we'd have no vaccines against Covid-19 either.

Look, I can use a hammer to build a house or crush a skull. It has nothing to do with the hammer, and everything to do with me.