• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is lifeless Venus destroying Darwin?

PruePhillip

Oh great. Another "I don't understand evolution therefore it is wrong" threado_O:confused::rolleyes:

Wonder where the Corona virus came from if it didn't evolve, and WHO is cranking out
new varies (of course, W.H.O. itself isn't doing this, but it could a better job with the
Chinese investigation!)

questfortruth

I find it absolutely tragic and bewildering that we would spend even a penny (tax dollars) to look for microbes or fossils off of Earth while undergoing one of the biggest mass-extinction events ever - all due to ignorance and greed. Protect Creation first.

Thank you, drive thru.
It is possible life could be present in Venus's atmosphere

What we know about Venus as a planet rules out Teslas and dead cats for the time being, but doesn't automatically rule out life.

Man! There is a temperature 500 of Celsius, an acid atmosphere. Believe me, only imagination is there!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
By "Mysterious Island" you mean RF, I take it?
That would be.....
OIP.x0AlJJgeOk-UU0ObV47-EQHaFh

Heyo

Veteran Member
And I don't think that anyone has mentioned that a reanalysis of the data has led to the conclusion that it was likely sulfur dioxide that caused the signal. So no life in the clouds either:

Life in the clouds of Venus? Maybe not.
That was the topic of the video in the OP.

The point being: microbes could possibly survive in the upper atmosphere. There once was the idea of terraforming Venus by introducing sulphur eating bacteria.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That was the topic of the video in the OP.

The point being: microbes could possibly survive in the upper atmosphere. There once was the idea of terraforming Venus by introducing sulphur eating bacteria.
I thought that claim was based upon the discovery of phosphine in the atmosphere. That claim has since come under rather strong doubt. I will have to go back and check it out.

EDIT: @Heyo , thanks for referring me back to the OP. I guess it was brought up in that video. The original cause for a claim of life now appears to be gone, though that is not settled yet. I would go with the approach of insufficient evidence to conclude that life exists there. I am not saying that it is impossible, but it does appear to be unlikely. I had to give the OP an informative frubal since the video was surprisingly a very good video.

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is lifeless Venus destroying Evolutionism?

I see you're still unclear on what evolution is. Biological evolution only occurs where living populations are found.

Space is a vast thing. I see no reason to move in this particular direction: to find Russel's teapot on Venus.

I have to agree with you there, because Russell described a teapot too small to be seen by telescopes that orbits the sun in the space between earth and Mars.

Basic science not only need not be goal-directed, it probably can't be done that way as the Intelligent Design people showed us. They went looking for God rather than just look to see what there was to see, and as a result, they kept erroneously thinking that they had found what they were looking for - irreducible complexity. Confirmation bias does that, which is why clinicians and patients are both blinded in placebo-controlled trials to prevent them from seeing what they want to see rather than what is there.

Besides, what would you have told the likes of Faraday and Maxwell, who explored electricity? Pretty hard to see how important it would become in daily life. They had no purpose in their research but to understand how nature works, and got a big, valuable surprise.

Here's a little contemporary basic research from the abiogenesis people. Who knows where it will lead? :

https://phys.org/news/2021-03-lab-c...R0DiBmMmO5PofcpTu1OsiHEg4IUR2armNB75Fq3Y_JMks

If there is reasonable doubt, that Russel's teapot, Tesla car, Phosphine, dead cats or dogs are on Venus, then it is not necessary to do more research.

This is why scientists don't take advice from nonscientists on matters of science. You also said, "I see no reason to move in this particular direction." Scientists do. So do I.

Suave

Simulated character
The Scientist reports the conclusion: there is no definite proof, that Phosphine is on Venus, thus, more research must be done.

To which I reply:
If there is reasonable doubt, that Russel's teapot, Tesla car, Phosphine, dead cats or dogs are on Venus, then it is not necessary to do more research. Please stop the research in these directions! Believe your common sense, lady! I do not want to pay them my tax money! They are chasing ghosts and their own imagination. Space is a vast thing. I see no reason to move in this particular direction: to find Russel's teapot on Venus. One has the need to set more realistic goals and more practical programs. Is lifeless Venus destroying Evolutionism?

I'd consider a lifeless Venus as being in dire need of an Earth-like planetary make-over. Bombarding Venus over the course of approximately 50,000,000 years with nearly 10,000,000,000 kilograms of calcium and magnesium per year from lunar-based electromagnetic rail-guns would transform the present-day Venusian atmosphere into a more Earth-like atmosphere consisting of mostly nitrogen at an endurable atmospheric pressure of 3,000 millibars. Please reference: Terraforming of Venus - Wikipedia "Bombardment of Venus with refined magnesium and calcium from off-world could also sequester carbon dioxide in the form of calcium and magnesium carbonates. About 8×10^20 kg of calcium or 5×10^20 kg of magnesium would be required to convert all the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, which would entail a great deal of mining and mineral refining."

Lunar-mass-driver.jpg

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I'd consider a lifeless Venus as being in dire need of an Earth-like planetary make-over. Bombarding Venus over the course of approximately 50,000,000 years with nearly 10,000,000,000 kilograms of calcium and magnesium per year from lunar-based electromagnetic rail-guns would transform the present-day Venusian atmosphere into a more Earth-like atmosphere consisting of mostly nitrogen at an endurable atmospheric pressure of 3,000 millibars. Please reference: Terraforming of Venus - Wikipedia "Bombardment of Venus with refined magnesium and calcium from off-world could also sequester carbon dioxide in the form of calcium and magnesium carbonates. About 8×10^20 kg of calcium or 5×10^20 kg of magnesium would be required to convert all the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, which would entail a great deal of mining and mineral refining."

Lunar-mass-driver.jpg

There is a huge amount of carbon dioxide on the Earth that has been removed from the atmosphere in just that fashion. Limestone is mostly calcium carbonate. Dolomite is at least 50% calcium magnesium carbonate. If that carbon dioxide was still in our atmosphere AGW would be the least of our problems.

gnostic

The Lost One
The Scientist reports the conclusion: there is no definite proof, that Phosphine is on Venus, thus, more research must be done.

To which I reply:
If there is reasonable doubt, that Russel's teapot, Tesla car, Phosphine, dead cats or dogs are on Venus, then it is not necessary to do more research. Please stop the research in these directions! Believe your common sense, lady! I do not want to pay them my tax money! They are chasing ghosts and their own imagination. Space is a vast thing. I see no reason to move in this particular direction: to find Russel's teapot on Venus. One has the need to set more realistic goals and more practical programs. Is lifeless Venus destroying Evolutionism?

What on earth does any of that, have to do with Darwin?

YouTube is populated with a lot of weird craps.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

To which I reply:

What, exactly, does the presence (or not) of life on Venus have to do with the theory of evolution?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I find it absolutely tragic and bewildering that we would spend even a penny (tax dollars) to look for microbes or fossils off of Earth while undergoing one of the biggest mass-extinction events ever - all due to ignorance and greed. Protect Creation first.

Thank you, drive thru.

Nasa TOTAL yearly budget (thus to cover EVERYTHING it does): 22 billion

Average yearly cost just for maintaining the US nuclear arsenal: 45 billion

So the US spends close to 50 billion every year only to maintain an arsenal of bombs with which it could destroy the planet 100 times over, yet you complain about a couple dozen millions used for a research project concerning Venus?

The fact is that the TOTAL budget of NASA is peanuts, let alone for a single research project such as this one.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Yeah, I don't want my money to go to the military or subsidies for big, healthy corporations.
If a CEO, a general and a scientist ask you who should get your tax money, what do you answer?
Either the CEO or the scientist, depending on why they ask for it. :)