• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is lifeless Venus destroying Darwin?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The Scientist reports the conclusion: there is no definite proof, that Phosphine is on Venus, thus, more research must be done.

To which I reply:
If there is reasonable doubt, that Russel's teapot, Tesla car, Phosphine, dead cats or dogs are on Venus, then it is not necessary to do more research. Please stop the research in these directions! Believe your common sense, lady! I do not want to pay them my tax money! They are chasing ghosts and their own imagination. Space is a vast thing. I see no reason to move in this particular direction: to find Russel's teapot on Venus. One has the need to set more realistic goals and more practical programs. Is lifeless Venus destroying Evolutionism?

That's the whole point of research. To find out things and receive answers.

It is possible life could be present in Venus's atmosphere where conditions may favor some life.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
So far we only know about carbon based life. While it is certainly the most likely form of life to happen anywhere, it is not the only possible one.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
Perhaps space exploration might help understand our
situation on Earth. We now know that there is no planet
we can move to as a Plan B. (Mars has poisonous soil,
frigid temps, & no atmosphere to speak of.) Gotta make
do with the planet we already have.
I agree that we should shift A LOT of attention to climate change. HUGE budget shifts need to occur RIGHT NOW!

That said, our space exploration budget is relatively small, can we please leave that alone?

Astronomical research yes, hunting for microbes in space no (tax dollars). And manned exploration is way too expensive.

IMO

Last edited:

Astrophile

The Scientist reports the conclusion: there is no definite proof, that Phosphine is on Venus, thus, more research must be done.

To which I reply:
If there is reasonable doubt, that Russel's teapot, Tesla car, Phosphine, dead cats or dogs are on Venus, then it is not necessary to do more research. Please stop the research in these directions! Believe your common sense, lady! I do not want to pay them my tax money! They are chasing ghosts and their own imagination. Space is a vast thing. I see no reason to move in this particular direction: to find Russel's teapot on Venus. One has the need to set more realistic goals and more practical programs. Is lifeless Venus destroying Evolutionism?

There are other reasons for studying the atmospheres of Venus and the other planets besides searching for evidence for life. The popular idea that the only cause for interest in the stars and planets is the possibility that they are inhabited is so 18th century.

questfortruth

The popular idea that the only cause for interest in the stars and planets is the possibility that they are inhabited is so 18th century.

So, having realized the absurdity of aliens, one closes the huge hole in the budget.

Plants grow just fine in fact I am on my way out the door for a long hike in the woods. Cheers

Come back safely, we miss you. We care for your safety. Are there bears in your woods?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

To which I reply:

What is the chance there is cats or dogs on venus?
The temperature there goes from -49 Fahrenheit to +932 Fahrenheit. No cat or dog can survive that :)

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
So, having realized the absurdity of aliens, one closes the huge hole in the budget.

Come back safely, we miss you. We care for your safety. Are there bears in your woods?

Many bears in Pennsylvania and this is the time of year when they wake up hungry :)

But black bears are not a threat unless they feel cornered or fear for their young. I worry more about hunters.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If there is reasonable doubt, that Russel's teapot, Tesla car, Phosphine, dead cats or dogs are on Venus, then it is not necessary to do more research.
The difference between phosphine and the rest of your list is that phosphine is a possible indicator of life on Venus.

At present, Earth is the only place where life is known to exist.

The existence of life elsewhere ─ Venus, Mars, the moons of Jupiter, Saturn &c ─ would be a very significant enlargement of our understanding of biology.

If our understanding of biology seems unimportant to you, then by all means stay at home with the blanket pulled over your head.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Astronomical research yes, hunting for microbes in space no (tax dollars). And manned exploration is way too expensive.

IMO
I agree that manned exploration isn't worth the cost now.
Things have changed greatly since the manned Moon
missions...technology now allows autonomous vehicles.
And remote sensing is also much more powerful. We
can get much more info for much less money & risk.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I agree that manned exploration isn't worth the cost now.
Things have changed greatly since the manned Moon
missions...technology now allows autonomous vehicles.
And remote sensing is also much more powerful. We
can get much more info for much less money & risk.
Where oh where is Jules Verne when you need him?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Where oh where is Jules Verne when you need him?
He's here....
CD242515%3Faspect%3D1%3A1%26width%3D960

questfortruth

The difference between phosphine and the rest of your list is that phosphine is a possible indicator of life on Venus.
No, there is no difference. For example, if further research will answer positively my question "is there a dead cat on Venus, or a Tesla car", then is sure: some life form was there.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No, there is no difference. For example, if further research will answer positively my question "is there a dead cat on Venus, or a Tesla car", then is sure: some life form was there.
The difference is important in determining priorities for research. What we know about Venus as a planet rules out Teslas and dead cats for the time being, but doesn't automatically rule out life. Our further research may rule it out, of course, but don't be blind to the rewards to our understanding if we find life after all.

PruePhillip

To which I reply:

If this was the mid 1400's you probably would have been offended with Prince Henry the Navigator,
the Portuguese king who, more or less, ended the middle ages with his exploration and emphasis
upon science and technology.
You probably would take offense at Galileo too in his quest to understand the basics of physics - I
mean, the time and money spent on incline planes and falling weights could have gone to the poor.

My country of Australia is united in its opposition to 'wasting money on space', but Elon Musk will
earn two or three times what we earn on our coal exports, just with this Starlink satellite system
alone. And tomorrow we won't be selling any more coal.