• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it possible?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Fortunately, God does not speak to people, and most people are fine with this arrangement. Again, it's only the anomalies that make all the noise, and that cause all the disruptions. And it's only the anomalies that the detractors ever choose to notice.

Why fortunately?

Shantanu

Everyone must find their own truth.
In my religion of Existentialism I aim to generate the highest level of truth for people to read about and decide for themselves what truth they wish to follow. That is how I aim to exist at the highest level of dignity that my genetics will foster.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
In my religion of Existentialism I aim to generate the highest level of truth for people to read about and decide for themselves what truth they wish to follow. That is how I aim to exist at the highest level of dignity that my genetics will foster.

But, in the end, we all still have to find our own truth. Your truth may not be my truth even though I may learn from your truth.

Earthling

David Henson
Is it possible to stop fighting over what religion/spiritual path that is the "right one" ?

The one you follow is the right for you, but maybe not for others,or?

There are two ways in which this can be done. Ignore and shut out the opposing views, or educate yourself of them. Understanding breeds tolerance. Neither of these ways are foolproof.

But there's a big difference between not agreeing that another belief is right for anyone and someone who violently opposes your beliefs. For example, I've studied the basic history of Buddhism, and I've read, even proof read and published a few Buddhist sacred texts and discourses online. I see a simple practical teaching and I respect everyone's beliefs as being their own personal responsibility, but I've had Buddhist (people who call themselves Buddhists, and I have no right to question them) get all ugly in my face because they were atheists. I can understand this. They think that having a god is harmful and misleading. To individuals and to society. So, even in their anger they are, perhaps, concerned.

At the same time, I, in that sort of position, can get emotional in disagreement. In defense.

And still, my God offers everyone the possibility of life everlasting without sickness, old age, death, disease, sin, crime, pollution, etc. So it's sometimes likely for me to be of a mind that, yeah, Buddhism is fine, but . . . what about everlasting life in paradise?

Well, my God has also made it clear to me that not everyone is interested in him or his promise of everlasting life. So for me personally, its always more of a defensive struggle. A response for people who criticize my beliefs because they are ignorant of them, having been mislead by apostate religion.

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Is it possible to stop fighting over what religion/spiritual path that is the "right one" ?

cultures are based on environment, or cultivated in relationship to the environment that they are founded in. the only way anyone is going to change their belief system, is to change their environment.

cultivating a friendship across cultural differences transcends belief systems.

love is strange

PureX

Veteran Member
We should bring them all together in a thread dedicated to that end titled, "I'm right and you're wrong because....". My guess it should hit 78 pages long by the end of one week. :)
I predict just the opposite. Our egos don't like being observed at work, especially by ourselves. If we gave the thread that obvious of a title, everyone would be really nice, and really bored, immediately, and the thread would die in under 20 posts.

Is it possible for any given individual, yes.

Is it possible to eliminate ideological disputes from society as a whole (religious doctrine is simply a form of ideology)? No, they can only be mitigated. This is because not everyone can get their own way in terms of the social norms they live under, as these are a product of ideology.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
And if one cannot manage that, ignoring things can work just as well. Actually, ignoring something that is thought to be of some importance can be more insulting than the act of making an actual insult about it.
Knowing when to not engage is a skill. There are times when it is totally pointless, and you're just demonstrating your own stupidity by getting in there. Other times it's important, because the onlookers benefit. Many of us enjoy watching a discussion, but not actively participating.

PureX

Veteran Member
Is it possible for any given individual, yes.

Is it possible to eliminate ideological disputes from society as a whole (religious doctrine is simply a form of ideology)? No, they can only be mitigated. This is because not everyone can get their own way in terms of the social norms they live under, as these are a product of ideology.
We could, however, learn to respect our differences, and how tolerating and even appreciating them helps ALL of us embody a better and more effective society. It's good that ideas are presented to us, for consideration, through both words and deeds. It expands our understanding, individually and collectively, and thereby our capabilities.

But to achieve this kind of open-minded tolerance, we HAVE to learn to reign in our egos. We MUST learn to understand and practice humility. And right now, that contradicts the most basic motivations of our culture, which are based on the horrible delusion that greed, selfishness, and competition are the inevitable and best means of moving society and humanity forward. When in reality, they will be our undoing.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Knowing when to not engage is a skill. There are times when it is totally pointless, and you're just demonstrating your own stupidity by getting in there. Other times it's important, because the onlookers benefit. Many of us enjoy watching a discussion, but not actively participating.
I've actually become quite fond of watching lectures by various Professors and find the hours FLY by they are so interesting. There is something about listening to what I call "people with big brains" which is amazing and thoroughly enjoyable. BigThink, Ted and Tedx are great sources.

PureX

Veteran Member
It's impossible to know the actual effects of pretty much any action we take. Even though we really like to imagine that we do know. I think the better course is to try and be as honest and articulate as possible when we do choose to engage, and then accept that everyone else can and will take it or leave it as they see fit. And that's just as it should be. My responsibility is not to convince anyone, or even to enlighten them. My responsibility is just to share whatever I think I know, as a gift, without strings, and then move on.