• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Islam peaceful?

Baroodi

As a religion, probably not as peaceful as Buddhism, Taoism, Shinto, or many other religions, great and small.

Any religion that divides people into believers and non-believers, faithful and non-faithful, etc -- and Islam is one of the religions that does this -- has sown seeds of conflict.

Having said that, I doubt the religion would prevent a Muslim who wants to be peaceful from being peaceful.

(On that account: We ordained for the Children of Israel that if any one slew a person - unless it be for murder or for spreading mischief in the land - it would be as if he slew the whole people: and if any one saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of the whole people. Then although there came to them Our apostles with clear signs, yet, even after that, many of them continued to commit excesses in the land)
Noble Quran 4;32
( Say: O ye that reject Faith, I worship not that which ye worship. Nor will ye worship that which I worship. And I will not worship that which ye are worshiping. Nor ye will worship that which I worship) Noble Quran 109. declaring aloud the freedom of worship more than 14 centuries back

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
You gleefully chose that for yourself using your free will.

Not according to the Quran. And you don't have to read very far to learn that - according to the Quran - your merciless Allah MADE some of us to be non-believers. And - according to the Quran - the merciless and cruel Allah knows what I'm thinking, so regardless of what I say, he can convict me of thought crimes.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok, but so you know, nationalism is forbidden in Islam.

That may explain why their message is often incoherent. If they're forbidden to state their nationalistic intentions, then they have to talk around it and pretend that it's all due to the religion. But in the very first thing he wrote, he wrote "you are attacking us." Who is "us"? He is as much as saying "you are not one of us," which is a thing a nationalist would say. He also mentioned Somalia and Palestine, which are nationalistic issues, not religious.

So, they're nationalists, but they want to pretend they're something else. What else can be deduced by this?

Notanumber

A Free Man
(On that account: We ordained for the Children of Israel that if any one slew a person - unless it be for murder or for spreading mischief in the land - it would be as if he slew the whole people: and if any one saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of the whole people. Then although there came to them Our apostles with clear signs, yet, even after that, many of them continued to commit excesses in the land)

Describe mischief in the land.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Hi I'm student from Thailand. Now I'm doing research. I would like to ask you some questions. Is Islam peaceful? Thx for you opinion

The religion of Islam is peaceful. But often times extremists can pervert the image of Islam for their own gains which often times misleads the public into thinking it is not. Perhaps you may want to talk to some of the Muslim residents here.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Oh good (sarcasm), another Islam thread.

As you can obviously see, @Afnan there are conflicting opinions on Islam. And, in fact, the same points have been made by the same people more than once because this is a controversial area.

Some observations:
  • Cherry picking verses by anyone does not prove that Islam is peaceful or violent. I can prove both if I chose selectively.
  • Translations are often unreliable. Some parts of the Quran have wildly different translations. Consult many if you're trying to read the Quran.
  • Most Muslims also look to Hadith, the authenticated sayings of Muhammad, as very important albeit secondary to the Quran. But it's helpful to also include them in ones understanding of Islam.
  • If you're interested in compare/contrast, look at the Jewish Torah and the many ways it's interpreted. The issue of "is Islam peaceful" to me is illuminated by seeing that literal readings of the Torah speak of God telling Israel to conquer and slay.
  • Also the holy books of Hindus are full of war.
  • And Buddhists are slaughtering Muslims on Myanmar. And Christians murdered many Jews in Eastern Europe. So there's a vast difference between what the holy books contain and how people behave.
  • Be careful about what are cultural impacts of Muslims versus what the religion is about. Compare/contrast American Muslims to, for example, Saudi and Iranian Muslims.

I could have not said this better

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Muslim-UK said, 'This is a fact for non believers too. They breathe the oxygen and eat the food provided by God, whether they like it or not.'

You wish and you hope that is so, but there is no evidence for any gods or goddesses except in your mind. I have read of Mohammeds life and I have read the Koran, and I see the same old 'us and them', we're right and everyone else is wrong. Where is your evidence of the reality of any deity, among the thousands of gods created by men.?

Jews and Christians have an "us" vs "them" belief as well. Christians especially evangelicals are very colorful telling the world if one does not believe in Jesus as lord and savior then it is hopeless. I tend to think religious fervor tends to make one atheist because it makes God sound like a malevolent being.

The same evidence you have to show your Great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great Grand Parents existed. You've never seen them, nor can you name them, but using logic you accept they must have existed. Similarly DNA within humans points to a common ancestor. We originated from Africa or where ever the latest theory of 'Science' points to.

Out of interest, do you believe that Adam, our purported common ancestor, was 30 meters tall and that humans gradually shrunk until they reached 'normal' size as attested to in a sahih hadith?

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
Not according to the Quran. And you don't have to read very far to learn that - according to the Quran - your merciless Allah MADE some of us to be non-believers. And - according to the Quran - the merciless and cruel Allah knows what I'm thinking, so regardless of what I say, he can convict me of thought crimes.
It is true GOD knew where your final destination would be Billions of Earth years before you were created, but He gifted you with free will, and pointed to clear signs of His existence. He explained why you were created, and what you must do to be successful, both in this life and the next, but YOU chose to ignore His signs, His advice and His punishments of YOUR own free will, and as a result, just as promised He increased you in your disbelief.

Last edited by a moderator:

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
That may explain why their message is often incoherent. If they're forbidden to state their nationalistic intentions, then they have to talk around it and pretend that it's all due to the religion. But in the very first thing he wrote, he wrote "you are attacking us." Who is "us"?
Us = Muslims

He is as much as saying "you are not one of us," which is a thing a nationalist would say. He also mentioned Somalia and Palestine, which are nationalistic issues, not religious.
He invites Bush and co to Islam to be counted amongst the 'us'. If he didn't name the geographical locations of where the issues of contention were, then you would be saying, he doesn't even explain where these places of conflict and strife are :/

So, they're nationalists, but they want to pretend they're something else. What else can be deduced by this?
You asked why they were fighting the West, I explained and now, like the Governments of the West, you choose to ignore the issues and look the other way.

If nothing else, I hope you can see it has nothing to do with hating the Western way of life. They deplore the meddling and strife caused by those who should know better.

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
Out of interest, do you believe that Adam, our purported common ancestor, was 30 meters tall and that humans gradually shrunk until they reached 'normal' size as attested to in a sahih hadith?

My understanding is, this was Adam's pbuh height in Paradise when he was created and sent to greet the Angels. In the Spiritual realm, the Abrahamic Religions believe a single Angel can fill the Horizon, such is their size and presence. You can imagine a 5ft 10" (average male height) Adam pbuh would feel like an ant in the presence of such beings.

Hadith about height of Adam and later generations explained

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Us = Muslims

He invites Bush and co to Islam to be counted amongst the 'us'. If he didn't name the geographical locations of where the issues of contention were, then you would be saying, he doesn't even explain where these places of conflict and strife are :/

You asked why they were fighting the West, I explained and now, like the Governments of the West, you choose to ignore the issues and look the other way.

If nothing else, I hope you can see it has nothing to do with hating the Western way of life. They deplore the meddling and strife caused by those who should know better.
It's not only the Middle East which has grievances with the West, past or present. You are free to ask Latin American countries, South African black nations, Amerindian tribes and South, South-east and East Asian countries (Vietnam remember?). But the key to their successes today is not the nurturing of their grievances and fanning them with religio-political violence against the West or against each other. As examples of liberation theology, Mandela and Desmond Tutu, Gandhi and Hindu Vedantists, Buddhists like thich nhat hanh shows.. the key to building strong constructive societies and nations are through strong and peaceful leadership in moral, religious and social spheres. Middle Eastern nations have far less reason for complaints. They were not enslaved like black Africans, not colonized like Indians and South-east Asians or exterminated like Amerindians. Oil should have given them far more economic leverage than Latin American countries ever possessed in their long duration as economic colonies of the US. So I ask you... where are your great moral and ethical leaders, why are so many Muslims so easily incited towards horrendous violence against minorities in their own countries and fellow Muslims who are on the wrong side. Why are some of them inspired to terrorist attacks thinking them to be religiously justified? Why do Middle Eastern countries come out the worst in terms of human freedoms? These are serious problems. Just as people are concerned about gun violence in US, the activities of North Korea, the pogroms against Rohingyas in Burma... so are they justified in their concern for the mindless endless violence in the Middle East and terror attacks by Muslim fundamentalists elsewhere.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
You gleefully chose that for yourself using your free will.

The Quran begs to differ.

Surah 7:155 - "And Moses chose from his people seventy men for Our appointment. And when the earthquake seized them, he said, "My Lord, if You had willed, You could have destroyed them before and me [as well]. Would You destroy us for what the foolish among us have done? This is not but Your trial by which You send astray whom You will and guide whom You will. You are our Protector, so forgive us and have mercy upon us; and You are the best of forgivers."

Yes, the verse is talking about Moses and the Jews but the premise is clear - Allah, being all-powerful and all-knowing, is ultimately responsible for deciding who will accept Islam and who won't - as well as their choices generally. I've seen sites like Answering Christianity try to apologise for this but all they do is what they condemn in us non-Muslims: quoting Quranic verses out of context.

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
The Quran begs to differ.

Surah 7:155 - "And Moses chose from his people seventy men for Our appointment. And when the earthquake seized them, he said, "My Lord, if You had willed, You could have destroyed them before and me [as well]. Would You destroy us for what the foolish among us have done? This is not but Your trial by which You send astray whom You will and guide whom You will. You are our Protector, so forgive us and have mercy upon us; and You are the best of forgivers."

Yes, the verse is talking about Moses and the Jews but the premise is clear - Allah, being all-powerful and all-knowing, is ultimately responsible for deciding who will accept Islam and who won't - as well as their choices generally. I've seen sites like Answering Christianity try to apologise for this but all they do is what they condemn in us non-Muslims: quoting Quranic verses out of context.
See post 116 above.

It is utterly nonsensical to blame God for your actions. Remember 'Free Will'.

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
It's not only the Middle East which has grievances with the West, past or present. You are free to ask Latin American countries, South African black nations, Amerindian tribes and South, South-east and East Asian countries (Vietnam remember?). But the key to their successes today is not the nurturing of their grievances and fanning them with religio-political violence against the West or against each other. As examples of liberation theology, Mandela and Desmond Tutu, Gandhi and Hindu Vedantists, Buddhists like thich nhat hanh shows.. the key to building strong constructive societies and nations are through strong and peaceful leadership in moral, religious and social spheres. Middle Eastern nations have far less reason for complaints. They were not enslaved like black Africans, not colonized like Indians and South-east Asians or exterminated like Amerindians. Oil should have given them far more economic leverage than Latin American countries ever possessed in their long duration as economic colonies of the US. So I ask you... where are your great moral and ethical leaders, why are so many Muslims so easily incited towards horrendous violence against minorities in their own countries and fellow Muslims who are on the wrong side. Why are some of them inspired to terrorist attacks thinking them to be religiously justified? Why do Middle Eastern countries come out the worst in terms of human freedoms? These are serious problems. Just as people are concerned about gun violence in US, the activities of North Korea, the pogroms against Rohingyas in Burma... so are they justified in their concern for the mindless endless violence in the Middle East and terror attacks by Muslim fundamentalists elsewhere.

Print a few hundred copies of that response and send to the various Jihadi groups. I'm sure they will put down their arms and reflect deeply.

Sakeenah

Hi I'm student from Thailand. Now I'm doing research. I would like to ask you some questions. Is Islam peaceful? Thx for you opinion

Hi Afnan,

Welcome to RF :)
I believe Islam is peaceful, there are many Quran verses and sayings of the prophet muhammad that promote peace. Here are a few:

" God does not forbid you from being good to those who have not fought you in the religion or driven you from your homes, or from being just towards them. God loves those who are just.” (Surat al-Mumtahana, 8)

"We have appointed a law and a practice for every one of you. Had God willed, He would have made you a single community, but He wanted to test you regarding what has come to you. So compete with each other in doing good. Every one of you will return to God and He will inform you regarding the things about which you differed.” (Surat al-Ma’ida, 48)

There is no compulsion where the religion is concerned.” (Holy Quran: 2/ 256)

"Whoever kills a person it is as though he has killed all mankind. And whoever saves a life it is as though he had saved all mankind"(5:32)

The servants of the Most Merciful are those who walk upon the earth in humility, and when the ignorant address them, they say words of peace.
Surah Al-Furqan 25:63

You will not enter Paradise until you believe and you will not believe until you love each other. Shall I show you something that, if you did, you would love each other? Spread peace between yourselves.
Source: Sahih Muslim 54(authentic)

Abdullah ibn Umar reported: A man asked the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, “Which Islam is best?” The Prophet said:
To feed the hungry and to greet with peace those you know and those you do not know.

"Verily, after me there will be conflicts or affairs, so if you are able to end them in peace, then do so.

Source: Musnad Ahmad 697

This doesn't mean all Muslims are peaceful. There is a minority that have a political/ violent agenda and take Quran verses out of context.