• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Islam peaceful?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Osama Bin Laden laid out in his letter to President George Bush....

Full text: bin Laden's 'letter to America'

I haven't read it, but like the majority of Muslims pretty much know about the main grievances.

So, then it's Arab nationalism more than it has anything to do with religion. So, it's an Islamic variant of the KKK. I think most Westerners can understand the KKK, so if it was presented that way, it might be easier to communicate their message. It doesn't mean people would accept it or agree with it, but at least it would give greater clarity and reduce the confusion and distraction over questions about whether Islam is a peaceful religion. It would seem that even those who believe in Islam and want to convince others that it's peaceful, it would be better to oppose this form of nationalism which seems to be the underlying problem.

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
So, then it's Arab nationalism more than it has anything to do with religion. So, it's an Islamic variant of the KKK. I think most Westerners can understand the KKK, so if it was presented that way, it might be easier to communicate their message. It doesn't mean people would accept it or agree with it, but at least it would give greater clarity and reduce the confusion and distraction over questions about whether Islam is a peaceful religion. It would seem that even those who believe in Islam and want to convince others that it's peaceful, it would be better to oppose this form of nationalism which seems to be the underlying problem.
He was calling for the Muslims to be allowed to be ruled under the Shariah within a Caliphate. He was calling on the West to stop supporting Arab regimes that suppress the masses with Western supplied arms. I'm not sure how you equate this with being anything like the kkk?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Ok, though the evidence showing 1 species transforming into another completely different species is very small if at all?

Dr. David Berlinski may as well be explaining the Islamic position:
Watch from 1:10

Here's a Muslim Scholar touching upon it:

No the evidence not very small. It's overwhelming and getting stronger every day. Lines of evidence: The science of evolution

And there are those who, to me correctly, assert that evolution and Islam are fully compatible which puts Islam and Christianity in the same boat Islamic views on evolution - Wikipedia

Islamic views on evolution are diverse, ranging from theistic evolution to Old Earth creationism.[1] Most Muslims around the world believe "humans and other living things have evolved over time," yet some others believe they have "always existed in present form."[2] Muslim thinkers have proposed and accepted elements of the theory of evolution, some holding the belief of the supremacy of God in the process. One modern scholar, Usaama al-Azami, suggested that both narratives of creation and of evolution, as understood by modern science, may be believed by modern Muslims as addressing two different kinds of truth, the revealed and the empirical.[3]

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
The Quran declares itself to be easy to understand. So if I think I understand it, and you say I don't, it would seem that the Quran is on my side. ;)

The quran is clear and easy for the ones who are willing to understand it, but you aren't among those who are interested to understand the quran or more accurately you're among the ones
who God doesn't want them to be in Islam as the quran stated as well.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
You know what?

If God exists, corresponds to what the Qur'an says about him, and yet somehow sees no need to make more of an effort to clarify people that they should know better than to rely on such a scripture, then for all practical purposes he has no business being called God.

More to the point, I fail to see why anyone would expect or want to offer much attention or reverence to such an entity.

And what God should be according to your view?

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
No the evidence not very small. It's overwhelming and getting stronger every day. Lines of evidence: The science of evolution

From that site: "Frogs, birds, rabbits and lizards all have different forelimbs, reflecting their different lifestyles. But those different forelimbs all share the same set of bones - the humerus, the radius, and the ulna. These are the same bones seen in fossils of the extinct transitional animal, Eusthenopteron, which demonstrates their common ancestry."

To me it just shows the Designer used a similar template. In modern architecture, we know the same architect might use doors and windows across a number of different dwelling types.

No matter how far back we go in the fossil record, frogs remain frogs, birds remain birds, rabbits remain rabbits etc.

I was asking for evidence showing a species over time changes into a completely different species. If I missed it on the site, could you post a direct link?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
And what God should be according to your view?
What it is, far as the evidence shows me: an aid for religious practice, a concept that is unavoidably very personal and breaks up when people attempt to extrapolate it outside of personal practice.

However, if you are asking instead what I would expect a God that exists "by itself" to be... I would expect it to be rather intuitive and transcendental. Depending on how it is conceived, it could also be remarkably motivated, or remarkably wise and virtuous.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
What it is, far as the evidence shows me: an aid for religious practice, a concept that is unavoidably very personal and breaks up when people attempt to extrapolate it outside of personal practice.

However, if you are asking instead what I would expect a God that exists "by itself" to be... I would expect it to be rather intuitive and transcendental. Depending on how it is conceived, it could also be remarkably motivated, or remarkably wise and virtuous.

And what if you were wrong, can you prove that God isn't true and doesn't exist?

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
No. But that is hardly of any importance whatsoever.

Apatheism - Wikipedia

Pascal's Wager - Wikipedia

Nor does your question make any logical sense in and of itself, either.

Ignosticism - Wikipedia

Besides, it is not mine to bother with those matters, but yours instead.

Russell's teapot - Wikipedia

Prophets prophecy some major future events that humans will see it happening,
the quran have signs for those who are willing to understand.

You may disagree with me, but that is you and not the reality.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Prophets prophecy some major future events that humans will see it happening,
the quran have signs for those who are willing to understand.

If you say so.

You may disagree with me, but that is you and not the reality.

With all due respect, you can't in good faith expect me to find that claim at all convincing.

Notanumber

A Free Man
Hi I'm student from Thailand. Now I'm doing research. I would like to ask you some questions. Is Islam peaceful? Thx for you opinion

Welcome to RF and what a great start to your postings. As a reward, I have rated your post as a winner!

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
He was calling for the Muslims to be allowed to be ruled under the Shariah within a Caliphate. He was calling on the West to stop supporting Arab regimes that suppress the masses with Western supplied arms. I'm not sure how you equate this with being anything like the kkk?

I equate it with nationalism.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
The quran is clear and easy for the ones who are willing to understand it, but you aren't among those who are interested to understand the quran or more accurately you're among the ones
who God doesn't want them to be in Islam as the quran stated as well.

Ah yes. the merciful Allah, who apparently made me so that he could torture me for eternity in hellfire. Nice guy that Allah.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
You gleefully chose that for yourself using your free will.
Actually, I very much doubt that there is any truth on that.

The very idea of "free will" seems to have no meaning beyond being a name created to attempt to explain why God is supposedly all-powerful yet apparently powerless to do better than issuing clumsy threats to convince some people of matters that are presumably of major importance.

It is, for all practical purposes, fiction that is not always acknowledged as such.