• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is debating pointless?

Skwim

Veteran Member
What do you expect to debunk? the scriptures or the belief each person hold?
Hardly. But take the Christian belief that science is wrong about the age of the earth, and that it came into being some 6,000 years ago. Or the belief that god of Abraham is against slavery. I believe that both of these are worthy of being debunked. And I believe these are just as worthy of being debunked as is the Christian belief that these mistaken notions should be spread throughout the world: in effect debunking science, and what the Bible says.

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Hardly. But take the Christian belief that science is wrong about the age of the earth, and that it came into being some 6,000 years ago. Or the belief that god of Abraham is against slavery. I believe that both of these are worthy of being debunked. And I believe these are just as worthy of being debunked as is the Christian belief that these mistaken notions should be spread throughout the world: in effect debunking science, and what the Bible says.

Here you have good points :) I do not know how the calculate the earth to be only 6000 year old. here science has good way of finding answers. i do not reject science but believe science can not find every answer within spirituality, because it can not be proven/mesured

Earthling

David Henson
So, is debating pointless? If yes.....why? If no.....why?

I think it's up to the person and whether or not they simply enjoy it. Any other reason, IMO, is delusion. If you debate for any other reason than that you enjoy it, then you should reevaluate those reasons and you will quickly learn that you are just making excuses for what you enjoy doing. Whether it's learning, teaching, sharing, etc. debating is the least effective means of doing that and if you were really interested in doing those things you would have picked up on it's (debating) comparative uselessness by now.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Not pointless. The other side has their beliefs challenged whether they let on or not. And you are fortifying other readers who are on your side.

Debating is one way we learn.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If debats are done with respect for the other persons and done to learn from each others it is good. But if it is done only to debunk others belief there is no need to continue the discussion
I don't know about that.

Even if you can't get a person to reverse their position on an issue, it's often possible to use a strong, direct response to make them realize that the position they hold isn't as obvious or non-controversial as they originally thought.

It all depends on your goal. Maybe getting someone from "I believe X is correct and I have no problem forcing others to live accordingly, because it's obviously the right thing to do" to "I believe X is correct, but I'll have to think about imposing it on other people, because it would make a lot of them unhappy" is a positive step based on our overall goal.

nPeace

Veteran Member
For me, it can be a fun exercise... it can be a pain... all depends on whom you are debating.
Overall, it's a good way to have a regular brain workout.
dancing-brain.gif

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Not as a given.

But there is quite a lot of pointless so-called "debate" happening at any given time, because rituals of more anthropological than logical significance are often unproperly given that moniker.

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
Debating with people who have a more irrational way of religious thinking can be pretty useless.
It feels a bit like when I met this farmer high up in the mountains in Rumania and he chatted with me for half an hour in Hungarian of which I understood zilch.
I said some things back to him in German and English which he could not understand either.
The man was simple in the nicest possible way so he seemed totally unconcerned that I could not understand his language or really communicate with him.
Although intelectually our talk seemed useless, it still left me with a positive feeling.

Last edited: