• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is debating pointless?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I know in my case if i change my mind, ill just say so. In fact, sometimes in a debate, if i said something that was a mistake, i HAVE said it was a mistake and i give them the point.

I have ZERO problem being honest. I can EASILY go from DIE HEART view on one thing and then BANG! Switch immediately if i get that epepheny. I dont have a problem with it.
I don't think this necessarily applies to everyone, but the pressure to want to save face is pretty strong for most people.

Personally, one of the things I like about identifying as a skeptic is that it flips this on its head: by making part of my identity about a willingness to correct any wrong belief I hold, I can actually save face by correcting myself and lose face by obstinately holding on to a bad position.

james blunt

Debating is pointless with mediocre minds that do not use their own intuition and logic to debate . People often refer to subjective memories of education and quote the memories in debate as if they have meaningful purpose .
Often people who have ''smarts'' come along , you will notice this because mainly people avoid their posts and do not want to seriously engage with the individual .
Religion is always debating about religion , logic says you are crazy to debate religion .

Why you may ask ?

Because in reality you're argument is about one .

Does anyone think there is more than one ?

At this point I ended the debate at the start of the debate !

The logic of religions debate is not God but who has the best book or interpretation .

THINK PEOPLE , you''re all a lot smarter than you may realise .

TheresOnlyNow

The Mind Is Everything. U R What U Think
So, is debating pointless? If yes.....why? If no.....why?
Agreed it can be educational to debate points one thinks they have requisite knowledge about when entering a debate.
However, some think in engaging in such activity they'll actually change someone's mind about what they hold as true. I don't think that's at all realistic though I'm not going to say it doesn't happen.

Debating is pointless with mediocre minds that do not use their own intuition and logic to debate . People often refer to subjective memories of education and quote the memories in debate as if they have meaningful purpose .
Often people who have ''smarts'' come along , you will notice this because mainly people avoid their posts and do not want to seriously engage with the individual .
Religion is always debating about religion , logic says you are crazy to debate religion .

Why you may ask ?

Because in reality you're argument is about one .

Does anyone think there is more than one ?

At this point I ended the debate at the start of the debate !

The logic of religions debate is not God but who has the best book or interpretation .

THINK PEOPLE , you''re all a lot smarter than you may realise .

Im not understanding how logic says debating religion is crazy?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A tree has many different branches but there can be no argument there is only one trunk .

The logic of one !
This is a banyon tree....
banyon-tree.jpg

The logic of many, eh.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Would you say bad or unconvincing debunking also is beneficial?
Not necessarily; although, I think the de-bunker could profit if he recognizes his error.

Or does it actually help strengthen the belief?
I wouldn't think so. I would think one's faith is more dependent on its own merits. But everyone's different.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A tree has many different branches but there can be no argument there is only one trunk .

The logic of one !

This is a banyon tree....
banyon-tree.jpg

The logic of many, eh.

Having grown Banyon trees, they have one main trunk and over time they throw arial roots that after some time connect to the ground.

Many metephors now possible :D;)

They are a magnificent tree. Regards Tony

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's a really small one. Banyans are fig trees. 10 things you need to know about banyan trees What many people don't know is that our common groves of aspen, and others, have a banyan like root system, but it's all underground, hence people don't know. Any tree that allows runners will have that eventually if you let them.
I knew about aspens, but you try finding a picture showing all those trunks connected!

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I knew about aspens, but you try finding a picture showing all those trunks connected!

You're the professional landscaper, not me. But when I tell me non-landscaper friends that a small tree that is 20 yards away from its 'mother' tree, and it got there by root, they just look all puzzled. Funny how if you can't see something, you don't believe it. The whole thing becomes clearer when you dig it up. I'm currently digging out a few Swedish aspens by hand. Runners are somewhat more avoidable if the guys who plant it do it right. Gotta think ahead, eh?