• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Cannabis the Answer?

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Marijuana made my Manic depression psychosis episodes worse and more frequent, when I was smoking pot I was being hospitalized 5150 2-3 times a year, since I quit smoking pot years ago I don't even get hospitallized in fact my manic depression is in remission and I no longer get manic or depressed episodes. People that think mental illness and marijuana are a good mix are certifiable crazy IMHO.

What utter BS. Marijuana present a clear and present danger to people with mental illnesses or tendencies to develop such, and this has been demonstrated scientifically through reputable studies over and over. Pot heads are living in the dark, just waiting for their next fix.

Obviously, if you already have a particular medical condition MJ might aggravate it or interact with your medications that you are taking for it. Again, I agreed to that under the "brain damage" comment, lol. Someone suffering from manic depression doesn't have a "normal" brain, at least in terms of scientific terms, since it will show on MRI, etc.

If your problems are stress, anxiety, minor but chronic pain, or add/adhd it helps swimmingly though. :D There are no one size fits all solutions, but some plants are miracles and do great things... I will always consider MJ one of those because of the breadth of usefulness it has.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
More ignorant statements, Mental illness is not a form of brain damage, and there is no way to test for mental illness through brain scans like MRIs.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
More ignorant statements, Mental illness is not a form of brain damage, and there is no way to test for mental illness through brain scans like MRIs.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/01/150106081217.htm

Anyway, MRI can show differences for schizophrenics and bipolar patients from normal brains much in the way that it would for someone with epilepsy. It doesn't seem like it is widespread to scan people for it (probably because the other symptoms are pretty obvious).

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyndon

Premium Member
MRIs have never been used reliably to predict mental illness, the only way to diagnose a mental illness is by behaviour. Scientists have proposed different models for brain differences that are testable but these are not reliable.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Is the evidence telling the story? How can this plant still be illegal?

Thoughts?

I just don't understand how can there be any controversy.

Cannabis should definitely be illegal except for medicinal use.

Lots of other dangerous drugs, "natural" or otherwise, are, with just as much good reason.

Recreational use, though? No, no can do.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
MRIs have never been used reliably to predict mental illness, the only way to diagnose a mental illness is by behaviour. Scientists have proposed different models for brain differences that are testable but these are not reliable.

Yes, but what causes bipolar? Abnormal chemical imbalances? Would that indicate some sort of brain malfunction? I mean, not to be silly here but it is obviously an abnormal condition. We're arguing about nothing here...

Marijuana will interact with antidepressants because both of them affect similar regions of the brain, so it doesn't surprise me one bit what you've stated -- you were playing with fire in the first place.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

Lots of other dangerous drugs, "natural" or otherwise, are, with just as much good reason.

I wonder when people will get tired of being minded by a nanny government. I just don't need someone else to tell me what to put into my body and I can adult for myself. The problem is what gets outlawed are safe solutions to various problems that the pharmaceutical companies cannot figure out how to make money on, or make their drugs irrelevant. (Don't need an appetite increasing drug if you have MJ, etc.) So you aren't given the best care you could have, only the care that makes someone the most money. That's the conflict of interest.

Anyway, MJ is far less harmful than booze but that's OK like everywhere. It simply doesn't make sense to me... There are also many other plants that naturally contain cannabinoids, such as Echinacea and they are legal. There is absolutely no logic being applied.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I wonder when people will get tired of being minded by a nanny government.
Sometimes so do I.

The need for strict control of pharmaceticals, though, is something else entirely. It is a necessary and underdeveloped part of its duties.

If anything, we need greater awareness and responsibility towards the serious problem that is the current over-reliance on drugs, both legal and illegal.

I just don't need someone else to tell me what to put into my body and I can adult for myself.
Great for you. Unfortunately, far too many people do in fact need exactly that.

The problem is what gets outlawed are safe solutions to various problems that the pharmaceutical companies cannot figure out how to make money on, or make their drugs irrelevant. (Don't need an appetite increasing drug if you have MJ, etc.) So you aren't given the best care you could have, only the care that makes someone the most money. That's the conflict of interest.

Anyway, MJ is far less harmful than booze but that's OK like everywhere. It simply doesn't make sense to me... There are also many other plants that naturally contain cannabinoids, such as Echinacea and they are legal. There is absolutely no logic being applied.
I am all for outlawing booze as well.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Like any other medicine, it depends. I'm on a controlled substance for my Epilepsy. However, stimulants like Cannibus and even Mediflu for colds, would lessen the affects of my seizure meds. So, if it's used as a controlled substance and it helps, all for it.

Have you done any research on MC Carlita? It doesn't interact with medications and for epilepsy either.

Lyndon

Premium Member
Pot smokers are a special kind of gullible when it comes to their beliefs about Cannabis.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Pot smokers are a special kind of gullible when it comes to their beliefs about Cannabis.
If this thread is unconvincing, then i don't see a reason why you're still staying in this thread, other than to bad mouth about cannabis.

Yeah, there are cases in which it a very useful medicine. I don't see any reason it should be off the table.

Same opinion as yours :)

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Some people experience paradoxical reactions to drugs. I think it is rare and the condition should not be considered when deciding if a drug is good or bad for the public at large imo.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Yes some herbs can be useful, but because its a herb doesn't mean it is always useful, there are many herbs that will kill you, such as foxglove.
Foxglove makes a life saving medication.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

What are you proposing is dangerous about Marijuana? And do you think the dangers of Marijuana are greater than the criminal element and damage to our prison system? You mentioned criminalizing alcohol (much more physically dangeeous), are you familiar with the damage and ultimate failure of prohibition?