• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Cannabis the Answer?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No fox glove makes the hear medication digitalis and willow bark makes aspirin.
I didn't believe that digitalis can be made from parsley. I asked him what he meant.
(you forgot the "t" there at hear). HE wrote "dose", not does.

Haha

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I have no issue with medical Marijuana. Or recreational Marijuana in moderation like everything else. (And I say this as someone who doesn't partake.)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
What are you proposing is dangerous about Marijuana?

Its psychoactive effects.

[quoite]And do you think the dangers of Marijuana are greater than the criminal element and damage to our prison system?[/quote]
Yes, although I don't think that is a choice that presents itself in reality.

You mentioned criminalizing alcohol (much more physically dangeeous), are you familiar with the damage and ultimate failure of prohibition?
How would I know? I think I am sufficiently aware, but then again most everyone probably does.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I know people who smoke more than occasionally and I think smoking makes them stupider, though I think that in a stupid world like this world is stupid, to be stupider is something desirable.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Its psychoactive effects.
Lots of legal herbs have psychoactive effects. Even nutmeg, when taken fresh and in volumes greater than four tablespoons, is a hallucinogenic. Not to mention Kava, morning glory seeds and a number of perfectly legal mushrooms. Why single out Marijuana in particular, and what about its psychoactive effects in particular make it dangerous?

Yes, although I don't think that is a choice that presents itself in reality.
How so?

How would I know? I think I am sufficiently aware, but then again most everyone probably does.
That's probably true. Could you describe for me why you think prohibition failed and the damages caused by the movement?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Lots of legal herbs have psychoactive effects. Even nutmeg, when taken fresh and in volumes greater than four tablespoons, is a hallucinogenic. Not to mention Kava, morning glory seeds and a number of perfectly legal mushrooms. Why single out Marijuana in particular, and what about its psychoactive effects in particular make it dangerous?

Marijuana is a popular recreative psychoactive drug. That makes it worth controlling.

Same for any other recreative psyschoactive drug, except perhaps if the amount of use is too small to make it worth the trouble.

I thought that to be self-evident, really.

It is not like the use of marijuana is anywhere near harmless. For that matter, it is not the drug consumption mentality that it spearheads is safe, either.

That's probably true. Could you describe for me why you think prohibition failed and the damages caused by the movement?
Prohibition is a legal measure, and as such it is a bad fit for what is ultimately a social problem.

Boycott and awareness, not prohibition, are needed. Which is not to mean that legalization is at all a good thing.

As for damages, I would say that the failure to attain sufficient popular engagement before using legal measures led to a very bad backlash in public opinion, including a catastrophic banalization of the very act of consumption of drugs.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I thought that to be self-evident, really.
Seems to not be, what with so many people not categorizing psychoactive substance as inherently negative or dangerous. Particularly Marijuana, which negative public image had to be established through racial scapegoating rather than medical challenges to its use.

It is not like the use of marijuana is anywhere near harmless
Is the use of most anything we consume anywhere near harmless? I can think of few things we can't abuse to our detriment. But I'm unconvinced Marijuana is more intrinsically harmful than ice cream.

For that matter, it is not the drug consumption mentality that it spearheads is safe, either.
Seems suspiciously like a ad hoc rationalization for condemning Marijuana. I.e. one can be psychologically dependent on video games therefore video games propagates psychological dependence on video games.

Prohibition is a legal measure, and as such it is a bad fit for what is ultimately a social problem.

Boycott and awareness, not prohibition, are needed. Which is not to mean that legalization is at all a good thing.

As for damages, I would say that the failure to attain sufficient popular engagement before using legal measures led to a very bad backlash in public opinion, including a catastrophic banalization of the very act of consumption of drugs
So would you say that because Marijuana is popular and it's illegality was doing little to stop its consumption and creating more problems via cartels, lack of prison space for violent offenders, personal choice based objections and lashbacks, means Marijuana shouldn't be illegal at this time?

If it became popular to outlaw foods with over a certain percentage of sugars or fats to fight obesity would you say that the lash back from people fighting for freedom of personal choice was undeserved? Or that the formations of illegal and far more damaging alternative access, and damage ti our prison system functionality is worth it?

What would, as a health measure, be fundamentally more wrong about the above proposal than anti alcohol and anti Marijuana movements?

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
As someone on day 4 of quitting after 3 years, weed is not "the answer". In these advanced situations it can certainly be a good tool in the arsenal, but it's not the all encompassing miracle drug people like to pretend it is.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
My father died of complications from Parkinson's disease. If this could have given him or others with Parkinisens some relief from the didyskinesia then I am all for it. Medical Marijuana use was recently legalized in my state, however it is years to late for my father

HonestJoe

Is the evidence telling the story? How can this plant still be illegal?

Thoughts?
Opiates, high-powered lasers and radioactive materials are used in various medical treatments to but that doesn’t mean they should be freely available for casual public use.

Random YouTube videos prove nothing in themselves. It is true that there are various clinical used for various cannabis-derivatives. Some have a decent amount of proper evidential backing while others have very little or inconsistent scientific results. Unfortunately, the legal and social history of cannabis casts a shadow over this work in various ways, both discouraging proper research but also leading some people to exaggerate or outright lie about medical benefits as a means to promote general legalisation or circumvent legal restrictions on recreational use. Some people will refuse to hear anything positive said about anything linked to cannabis while others will refuse to head anything negative.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Have you done any research on MC Carlita? It doesn't interact with medications and for epilepsy either.

I have intractable Epilepsy. Usually seizures that are well controlled by medicines are focalized seizures. Seizures that only occur in one part of the brain. If this option was available about 15 years ago, then we may have considered it before my surgery. Now I nave non focalized seizures where they happen on three different areas of the brain at the same time. So medications like Cannibus and any other medication with depression medication ingredients counteracts my seizure meds.

It doesn't fully. I take a medication that is also used as a depressant. To tell you honestly, my seizures are so well controlled now (one or two a month) that going into the hospital for a week under EEGs and MRIs to monitor my body reaction on a new drug is not worth it.

A lot of times people can wan off medications for one or two without going into the hospital. I have to be inpatient given the type of seizures I have now and the controlled medication Im on.

But I wouldn't put it down. It just depends on the person.

Parchment

I don't see cannabis as the answer but one of many possible ones, I personally do not smoke marijuana but I have personally seen the positive effects it can have on two friends that had cancer. Cancer treatments generally leave one sick and tired most of the time and that combined with the after effect drugs plus the drugs to counter the side effects of those drugs seem to leave one with a pretty sorry quality of life. Marijuana helped them with the pain, stimulated their appetite and gave them some brief respite from the knowledge of their inevitable death at the end of it all so not a cure all but something that helped with little to no after effects. I'd like to see marijuana legalized across the board in the U.S. for medical and personal use because there doesn't really seem to be much evidence not to, plus if it is regulated and taxed the revenues can be redistributed by states for education, law enforcement, civic projects etc. Colorado is an excellent example:
Marijuana sales tax revenue huge boon for Colorado cities – The Denver Post
If you ever do go to Colorado remember to check the areas where marijuana possession and use is legal

On the down side: I oppose only medical use because Federal law still does not recognize marijuana as legal so if you do have a national conceal/carry permit for a firearm and apply for a medical use card for marijuana you may be barred from your CC license and owning and /or living in a house that has firearms in it. In other words if you enjoy your responsible use and carrying freedoms dotted and I'ed and you have a medical condition that you feel might be relieved by the use of cannabis- DO NOT APPLY FOR A MEDICAL USE MARIJUANA CARD! instead procure and smoke it in private and if it works for you then it works, what the Government doesn't know can't hurt you.
In short, I think full legalization on the state and Federal level makes sense

A lot further down the pipe and most likely never in my lifetime, studies using psilocybin on combat veterans with PTSD (shell shock) seem to be very helpful and promising.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The question of is pot the answer is too simple. While pot has been shown to have tremendous and wonderful medical uses, it won't work for everything, some people are allergic to it, and it may not be good for those with certain mental illnesses (such as schizophrenia). But, for the general population at large, if people smoked a joint a day (or ate or vaped or whatever), they'd probably have their own personal medical benefits (such as arthritis or diabetes or Tourettes) and they get the uplifting feeling good out of it. We also have studies to verify that smoking a joint a day, even for longer than a decade, there is no discernible or appreciable difference in lung function between cannabis smokers and non-smokers (the actual difference is so negligible you have to have lab equipment to even detect it).
But, overall I do think cannabis, along with psilocybin mushrooms, are things more people should be using more of. Not all the time abusing, but much like the occasional beer or cocktail or glass of wine has benefits, a bowl of pot and bag of mushrooms every once in awhile would probably lead us to new heights as a society.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
A lot further down the pipe and most likely never in my lifetime, studies using psilocybin on combat veterans with PTSD (shell shock) seem to be very helpful and promising.
MDMA has also shown promise for treating PTSD. But as for psilocybin, it is even showing promise, very profoundly, in being so effective in treating various mental issues that even terminal patients feel much more calm and at peace with the fact they are living out their final days. Personally, I think everyone should use psilocybin, at least once, because it opens avenues in the brain (both metaphorically and literally), reveals different perspectives, and combined with the peaceful calming heightened euphoria, how could we kill people if we feel such a deeply profound connection with them? How could we destroy a forest knowing we are all such intimately linked and connected? How could we call ourselves special when we can't deny we are one with universe, not special snowflakes that are better than or separate from the universe?

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Sorry but ever since the 60s we've had this society you envision with lots of people smoking pot and doing mushrooms, and now we have this, a Trump presidency to thank for how ridiculous the left wing has let themselves get high on drugs!!

Parchment

MDMA has also shown promise for treating PTSD. But as for psilocybin, it is even showing promise, very profoundly, in being so effective in treating various mental issues that even terminal patients feel much more calm and at peace with the fact they are living out their final days. Personally, I think everyone should use psilocybin, at least once, because it opens avenues in the brain (both metaphorically and literally), reveals different perspectives, and combined with the peaceful calming heightened euphoria, how could we kill people if we feel such a deeply profound connection with them? How could we destroy a forest knowing we are all such intimately linked and connected? How could we call ourselves special when we can't deny we are one with universe, not special snowflakes that are better than or separate from the universe?

I disagree with the idea that everyone should use psilocybin, it would seem to cause a madness in general society for those who are not mentally prepared to deal with the eventualities of consuming a fleeting poisoning of the mind, much like a wet brained drunkard that proclaims "I'm the President of the world!" and then pisses themselves to sleep. LSD administered to the unaware seems to produce an infantile state of wonder, a dog hair encrusted M&M proclaimed to be thorazine (the cure for the confusion ) under the tongue seems to be the cure once the candy shell dissolves and the chocolate is tasted.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I disagree with the idea that everyone should use psilocybin, it would seem to cause a madness in general society for those who are not mentally prepared to deal with the eventualities of consuming a fleeting poisoning of the mind
By usage, I mean about maybe once or twice a month for regular usage. And of course not every last person, but the general population has nothing to worry from moderate consumption.
LSD administered to the unaware seems to produce an infantile state of wonder
And those who administered the LSD, and all those involved with these "experiments" should have been charged under the fullest extent allowed by law. Not that an infantile state of wonder is a bad thing (we could probably all use such a "refresher"), to administer drugs to someone who is unsuspecting is cruel and in all cases should be considered criminal, be it done by the government to unsuspecting troops or otherwise.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Sorry but ever since the 60s we've had this society you envision with lots of people smoking pot and doing mushrooms, and now we have this, a Trump presidency to thank for how ridiculous the left wing has let themselves get high on drugs!!
That makes absolutely no sense. Both pot smokers and non-pot smokers alike voted for Trump, Hillary, or someone else. You'd be hard pressed to find any hard correlation between the two.

Lyndon

Premium Member
I thought promoting drug use was against the rules and TOS for the forum.

Lyndon

Premium Member
That makes absolutely no sense. Both pot smokers and non-pot smokers alike voted for Trump, Hillary, or someone else. You'd be hard pressed to find any hard correlation between the two.

It makes no sense if your high!!