• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is atheism a belief?

Is atheism a belief?

• Total voters

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
True. Theists can be very "rational"

Note: My quotes are not scare tactics. That was your false belief

And of course far more atheists are rational. That is what made them atheists in the first place. For a person that reasons rationally belief is not a choice. The fact that you think that belief is a choice does not reflect well on your thinking processes.

By the way you need to look up the term "scare quotes". I did not say that your quotes were a scare tactic? Is English a second language for you? If so your error is excusable since it is an idiom.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yes, and I consider the attempts to make the word 'belief' a dirty word that only 'they' use disingenuous and boring, as it interrupts what could be decent conversation for unproductive quibbling. And I say that as an atheist.

There is nothing wrong with belief. But people have to recognize it for what it is. It may be rational, it may be irrational. I am not a fan of irrational belief. I am a fan of the opposite. An irrational belief would be that there are fairies in my backyard because I saw a ring that I could not explain.

PureX

Veteran Member
Atheism could be defined as:

A person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.

Another way of phrasing it could be one who believes there is no God or gods.

I’m good with either definition but not everyone is. Maybe I shouldn’t be either.

What is the best definition of atheism and why can it be so difficult to define?
Atheism is the presumption that no gods exist unless and until proven otherwise. And it IS A BELIEF because the atheist believes that he is and would be capable of recognizing the evidence of the existence of a god, if one existed. This belief is what defines atheism as something different from agnosticism.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
There is nothing wrong with belief. But people have to recognize it for what it is. It may be rational, it may be irrational. I am not a fan of irrational belief. I am a fan of the opposite. An irrational belief would be that there are fairies in my backyard because I saw a ring that I could not explain.
I think attempts to make the only rationality there is conform exclusively to strict empiricism is irrational, especially when they identify as humanists, which is not empirical or rational by their own beliefs, but hell if I'm not sick to death of debating it with 'more intelligent than thou' style atheists.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Atheism in the contemporary concept means disrupting the Creator at all, denying his existence, and not recognizing Him, the world and what has come, according to their claim, by chance, a strange doctrine contrary to instinct, reason and common sense, and contrary to the axioms of reason and axioms of thought.

As for polytheism, it involves believing in God Almighty and acknowledging it, but it also includes believing in a partner of God in his creation, creating, or providing, benefiting, or harming, and this is a decoy of Godhead, or a partner who is given some love and exalted worship, as God Almighty acted. (This is a worship trap).:rolleyes: for example (jesus with GOD)

Reflecting on these two deviations, we find that in each of the sin and bad, which shows us their bad condition

with respect :)

How could I, a lowly human being, think to be able to disrupt the creator? :eek:

Surely such a person would be in possession of a great ego.

JChnsc19

Nice you ask this

IMHO: Atheism is a belief
The belief of one who believes there is no God or gods.

Why is it a belief? They also don't know for sure whether or not God(s) exist. They just choose to "not believe" whereas Theist choose to "believe".
2 issues:
1. You’re saying they choose not to believe. Do you have a religion? Did you choose it? You do not choose beliefs. You’re either convinced of something or you’re not. Did you choose to believe you are gay or straight? Did you choose to believe you like chocolate or vanilla better? Can you go to the roof of a skyscraper, CHOOSE to not believe in gravity & then step off the roof? No... of course not
2. Atheism is a belief? You do realize you’re an atheist right? You’re atheist towards all the gods you think aren’t real. Is your atheism towards the gods you don’t believe in a belief, or a lack of belief? The most basic of definition is it’s a lack of belief in a god or gods, simple as that

j1i

Smiling is charity without giving money
How could I, a lowly human being, think to be able to disrupt the creator? :eek:

Surely such a person would be in possession of a great ego.

Cut through the truth, from people
By spreading false news and falsifying facts
This is how corrupting the faiths of others
this is what I meant

Did you try to stop a car and disrupt the movement of cars?

Man is a weak being, easily destroying himself :rolleyes:

A Vestigial Mote

I personally can't stand the terms "gnostic atheist" and "gnostic theist."

Gnosticism is a very specific religious movement. It isn't a general term for any and every person who claims knowledge about something.

There's no such thing as a gnostic atheist, and the only gnostic theists are actual Gnostics.
Can you tell me where the word "agnostic" comes from then?

Also, word usage can change, and has in this specific example. "Gnostic" is not the same as "gnostic." One is a noun, the other an adjective. This is part of common word usage now. If the "Gnostics" want to complain about it and tell everyone to stop using their word, they can have at it. Just as the rest of us are completely free to ignore them and just use words for what we commonly understand them to mean for ourselves. The last thing they probably need, I am sure, is for you to lodge their complaints for them.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Man is a weak being, easily destroying himself :rolleyes:

Yes we are good at that.

That's why I'm an atheist, so there is no pretence of having any knowledge about God.
You want to know about God, don't ask me. Plenty of other folks about willing to tell you all about God.

j1i

Yes we are good at that.

That's why I'm an atheist, so there is no pretence of having any knowledge about God.
You want to know about God, don't ask me. Plenty of other folks about willing to tell you all about God.

I certainly speak in my name and not in the name of the people, the nation or the name of the world
I represent myself and my faith

:)

j1i

I think atheism is an abnormal lust that is explained in my psychology
It is a point of desire that comes at a time when a person feels bored of his lifestyle and routine
He wants to play other roles, other actions, and another truth
Because of the absence of the excitement element in life that causes them depression

Love change
Almost 50% of males do marital infidelity because they want to change and try another female
As well as females

JChnsc19

Atheism is the presumption that no gods exist unless and until proven otherwise. And it IS A BELIEF because the atheist believes that he is and would be capable of recognizing the evidence of the existence of a god, if one existed. This belief is what defines atheism as something different from agnosticism.
Nope. I’m an atheist not because I believe no gods exist. I have a lack of belief that any gods exist. At the most basic level atheism is a lack of belief in god or gods. Theists are atheists too, they’re atheist towards the gods they don’t believe in.

firedragon

Veteran Member
That’s clear enough. Of course some atheists are Hindu, Buddhist and Christian. Particularly within Hinduism and Buddhism atheism is a legitimate positive within these ‘faiths’. Although its not as accepted in Christianity, its become increasingly recognised that many Christians are atheists too.

How is it that Christians are atheists too? You mean in statistics?

JChnsc19

I think atheism is an abnormal lust that is explained in my psychology
It is a point of desire that comes at a time when a person feels bored of his lifestyle and routine
He wants to play other roles, other actions, and another truth
Because of the absence of the excitement element in life that causes them depression

Love change
Almost 50% of males do marital infidelity because they want to change and try another female
As well as females
So you think someone who is a theist would potentially become an atheist, choose to deny the god they believe in and risk eternal damnation out of boredom??

PureX

Veteran Member
Nope. I’m an atheist not because I believe no gods exist. I have a lack of belief that any gods exist.
Yes, a lack of belief that you base on the belief that if gods existed, you would somehow know it. "Un"-belief is a rejection of belief, based on an alternative belief. An agnostic simply doesn't know what to believe. And that's not you. Is it.
Theists are atheists too, they’re atheist towards the gods they don’t believe in.
Your misusing the terms, here. Theism refers to the whole branch of philosophy associated with the existence and effects of an assumed deity. Some theists reject other theist's characterization of deity, and some don't. But they are all still theists because they all still engage in the philosophical proposition that deity is extant, and of some effect. They are not atheists.

JChnsc19

Yes, a lack of belief that you base on the belief that if gods existed, you would somehow know it. "Un"-belief is a rejection of belief, based on an alternative belief. An agnostic simply doesn't know what to believe. And that's not you. Is it.
Your misusing the terms, here. Theism refers to the whole branch of philosophy associated with the existence and effects of an assumed deity. Some theists reject other theist's characterization of deity, and some don't. But they are all still theists because they all still engage in the philosophical proposition that deity is extant, and of some effect. They are not atheists.
My definition is lack of belief in a god or gods so according to my definition theists can be atheists. Because they are atheist towards the gods they don’t subscribe to.

And I don’t believe in big foot. It’s not a rejection of a big foot belief, it’s not based on an alternative belief, it’s not a belief that if big foot existed I would already know it. So my non big foot belief isn’t a belief, it’s a lack of. It’s really quite a simple concept.

JChnsc19

How is it that Christians are atheists too? You mean in statistics?
Christians are atheist towards the gods they don’t believe in. The most basic of atheist definition is lack of belief in a god or gods.

There have been many research studies who have ID’d atheist Christians, maybe a better term would be cultural Christians. They keep going through the motions but no longer believe.

A 3rd option would be the clergy project.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Christians are atheist towards the gods they don’t believe in. The most basic of atheist definition is lack of belief in a god or gods.

There have been many research studies who have ID’d atheist Christians, maybe a better term would be cultural Christians. They keep going through the motions but no longer believe.

A 3rd option would be the clergy project.

Yep. There are 11% atheists in the United States who said that they believe in the existence of a God. I was only trying to clarify if its statistics that was meant by that statement.