• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is America a Police state?

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
I'd go to the website of the news station that you usually watch and see if they have searchable archives. Because (IMHO) it can go from pre-school to 7th grade, I'd search for "breast" and "teacher" together, maybe add "student." Those search terms should make it easier to find.

Thanks! Though I was wrong, it wasn't local. And details are scant.

4 -year-old Accused of Improperly Touching Teacher - KXXV-TV News Channel 25 - Central Texas News and Weather for Waco, Temple, Killeen |

Jacksnyte

Reverend
No such thing. Police are trained and hired for one thing, and the equipment they carry makes it obvious as to their purpose. You will be forced to comply with the law or suffer.

There is no such thing as a tame cop. Just restrained by orders from going further and deeper depending on which country you live in. Trust me, if ordered from their superiors, they will unquestionably do just about anything they are ordered to do to you.

From what I have observed, I would speculate that a large number of officers on the lower rungs of the police force are hopped up on steroids while going about their duties. Their overly-aggressive behavior is very similar to someone on the verge of "roid rage".

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Police continue to harass citizens who record them | Washington Examiner
[youtube]jdxMjjTu44s[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdxMjjTu44s

Your thoughts about recording the acts of public 'servants'?
Has anyone had a bad experience with law enforcement?
I think police should absolutely be recorded while on duty. As much for their benefit as ours.

Thankfully, aside from one incident of harassment (by a non-local officer) I've been pretty lucky. But, i live in a small town and know the local police reasonably well.

wa:do

ps. I do know others that have been harassed and badly treated by law enforcement though.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The TV show Cops could finance the whole program. Wouldn't cost the taxpayers a cent.;)

gnomon

Interesting news on the subject.

addresses an incident between then-New Haven Assistant Police Chief Ariel Melendez and Luis Luna, a student who attempted to record two police officers in the process of making an arrest. (My post on that incident here.) Melendez ordered subordinate officers to arrest Luna, to confiscate his camera and to delete the video. The second report is actually quite critical of Melendez, concluding that he behaved in an “intimidating” matter, and that the arrest, confiscation, and destruction of the video were all unlawful.

Melendez has been the subject of at least two other misconduct investigations, including the nightclub raid. He has since resigned from the New Haven Police Department. According to the New Have Independent, he’ll get to keep his $124,500 annual pension.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Motorists illegally detained at Florida tolls - for using large bills!

(Boy, that's a loud headline!)
Motorists illegally detained at Florida tolls - for using large bills! | Tampa Bay, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Sarasota | WTSP.com 10 News

From the article:
Chandler says this is a serious criminal offense, to detain someone without proper legal authority. He says that is exactly what the department is doing. When Chandler called and e-mailed the Florida Department of Transportation to complain about the policy, he was told there is no policy to detain people who give large bills. He says that made him more concerned, because that meant there were individual rogue toll takers detaining people.
The practice continued at toll booth after toll booth and, if someone refused to provide the information, they were threatened with arrest. One toll taker told Chandler's brother Robert, "I could call FHP. Would you like me to do that, sir?" Robert Chandler asked why she would call the Florida Highway Patrol when he was being illegally detained and the toll taker said he could come up with another form of tender.
Chandler continued to complain and on July 21st at 7:19 p.m., he received an email from the assistant General Counsel of FDOT saying essentially the department didn't know what he was talking about and they don't have sufficient information to investigate. However, earlier that same day, there were a flurry of e-mails going back and forth in the department saying shut the program down, temporarily suspend it and who should call Chandler and what should they say.
According to Chandler, not only was the D.O.T. not being truthful about the policy existing, but he also says they made a concerted effort to cover it up.
One reason the department might not have wanted the public to know about the program is because of whom was being detained.
Chandler says he thinks it clear from their own documents there was a lot of racial profiling going on.
And when you look at the documents from the Florida Department of Transportation you see there was a policy change about detaining people who gave a 20 dollar bill. The Department decided to leave it up to the discretion of the toll takers to decide who was suspicious. The courts have ruled that is unconstitutional, because it allows the preferences and prejudices of an individual to make the decision.
Chandler says 87 percent of the times toll takers took the time to fill out the form as to why they stopped someone. It was a racial description like, young black male, young black male, young Hispanic male.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
You know things are messed up when celebrities can team up with SWAT and storm a guys house in a tank... for being mean to chickens.

Sheriff Joe Arpaio rolled out the tanks to take down a man suspected of cockfighting. West Valley residents in the neighborhood are crying foul after armored vehicles, including a tank, rolled into their neighborhood to make the bust.
Llovera was alone in the house at the time of the arrest, and he was unarmed.
“I think taxpayers should be shocked,” said Robert Campus, Llovera’s attorney. Campus said he believes the operation costs tens of thousands of dollars.Deputies had no probable cause to believe Llovera was armed or dangerous, according to Campus.Campus said he believes the entire scene was basically a stage, to help actor Steven Seagal’s TV show, “Lawman.”

Seagal was riding in the tank.

The Sheriff’s Department has entered into a contract with Seagal and part of that contract gives Seagal carte blanche to go along with the sheriff as he arrests people.

Steven Seagal, Sheriff Raid Valley Home In Tank - Phoenix News Story - KPHO Phoenix

If this isn't a display of both pathetic posturing and police state mentality I don't know what would be.

wa:do