• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is America a Police state?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I wasnt angry with the robbers...they both looked like they could barely stand...thin & unwashed, obviously drug addicts...it was only the revolver they had and their desperate demeanour which gave them the power to rob us.

I felt sorry for them...that they were reduced to such a hopeless state...I almost wished I had my wallet on me...but they took a shine to my mate's sneakers so all was well.
In Detroit, our robbers are much more athletic.....a better class than you ran into in DC.

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
Courtesy of monta, a small victory for citizens.....
Papers, Please! » State of New Mexico v. Phillip Mocek

Yay!

I'm confused about one aspect of the story, though. The article said:

"You have the right, recognized by the TSA, to fly without showing ID.
“It happens all the time. We have a procedure for that,” according to the lead TSA “Travel Document Checker” at the Albuquerque airport. Signs and announcements in airports saying that all passengers must present ID are false."

But I checked the TSA website, and it said, "Effective June 21, 2008, adult passengers (18 and over) are required to show a U.S. federal or state-issued photo ID that contains the following: name, date of birth, gender, expiration date and a tamper-resistant feature in order to be allowed to go through the checkpoint and onto their flight.

Passengers who do not or cannot present an acceptable ID will have to provide information to the Transportation Security Officer performing Travel Document Checking duties in order to verify their identity. Passengers who are cleared through this process may be subject to additional screening. Passengers whose identity cannot be verified by TSA may not be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint or onto an airplane."

I clicked on a link to view samples of acceptable documents in lieu of ID, and it looks like no matter what, a passenger has to somehow prove his or her identity. So do we have the right to fly without ID, or do we have the right to try (without being arrested), knowing we probably won't be allowed to?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You'll note their avoidance of addressing just who is doing the requiring.....
"Effective June 21, 2008, adult passengers (18 and over) are required to show a U.S. federal or state-issued photo ID that contains the following....."
I'm not familiar enuf to say what the law actually is, but I know weasel words when I hear them.
They get their way not by force of law, but rather by mutual assent of other authorities & their flock.

Songbird

You'll note their avoidance of addressing just who is doing the requiring.....
"Effective June 21, 2008, adult passengers (18 and over) are required to show a U.S. federal or state-issued photo ID that contains the following....."
I'm not familiar enuf to say what the law actually is, but I know weasel words when I hear them.
They get their way not by force of law, but rather by mutual assent of other authorities & their flock.

I did notice that and wondered who was doing the requiring. I guess they can legally make you miss your flight by putting you through extra "screening" if you don't have ID?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I did notice that and wondered who was doing the requiring. I guess they can legally make you miss your flight by putting you through extra "screening" if you don't have ID?
It sounds like they make the decision to require what they want, & then use color of
authority to pretend it's law. If enuf people go along, then it has the effect of law,
while being illegal.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Police continue to harass citizens who record them | Washington Examiner
[youtube]jdxMjjTu44s[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdxMjjTu44s

Your thoughts about recording the acts of public 'servants'?
To answer the thread title, no, I don't think America would reasonably be considered a police state.

I do however think that many police officers are corrupt and inappropriate.

Has anyone had a bad experience with law enforcement?
Yes, I was arrested once without committing a crime.

It didn't result in any legal issues but it was seriously inconveniencing.

Songbird

I just wonder what the arresting cops are like. Do they have children of their own?
Have they no empathy? Were I a prosecutor, I'd charge them with unlawful arrest.

Reminds me of a news story - and I've scoured Google, but can't find it know - of a kindergartner - may have even been a preschooler - who was expelled or arrested for "fondling" a teacher. He liked her breasts. Come ON!

A

angellous_evangellous

Reminds me of a news story - and I've scoured Google, but can't find it know - of a kindergartner - may have even been a preschooler - who was expelled or arrested for "fondling" a teacher. He liked her breasts. Come ON!

haha - I didn't think that a child that small could be arrested for anything. :D

A

angellous_evangellous

Honestly, that sounds like an urban legend to me.

Songbird

Honestly, that sounds like an urban legend to me.

Yes, but I swear it was on our local news. Kindergartner got in trouble for touching a teacher inappropriately. I've got to find this story now....I'm sure he wasn't arrested, but it was some kind of drastic punishment.

A

angellous_evangellous

Yes, but I swear it was on our local news. Kindergartner got in trouble for touching a teacher inappropriately. I've got to find this story now....I'm sure he wasn't arrested, but it was some kind of drastic punishment.

Ah, that would explain why I couldn't find it.

If it was in the local news, did it happen locally?

Songbird

Ah, that would explain why I couldn't find it.

If it was in the local news, did it happen locally?

It must have, Angellous. Damn my memory. It was a big deal briefly. I just can't find it. I swear I didn't make this up. Look at the pretty colors....

So I've googled several different search terms, looked up a local newspaper archive, and nothing. WTH?

A

angellous_evangellous

It must have, Angellous. Damn my memory. It was a big deal briefly. I just can't find it. I swear I didn't make this up. Look at the pretty colors....

So I've googled several different search terms, looked up a local newspaper archive, and nothing. WTH?

I'd go to the website of the news station that you usually watch and see if they have searchable archives. Because (IMHO) it can go from pre-school to 7th grade, I'd search for "breast" and "teacher" together, maybe add "student." Those search terms should make it easier to find.