• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is America a Police state?

bluegoo300

The facts machine
If a civilian broke through their line and calmly pepper sprayed the people the other officers wouldn't have thought twice about intervening. A cop does it and no one lifts a finger. Sure, maybe it will be handled in an IA investigation (except in this case it wasn't), but in the meantime people are being assaulted and they are letting it happen. They might not be actively covering for him, but at a minimum they are guilty of not doing their jobs, and at most the are being complicit. Either way, they may not be bad cops, but they definitely aren't good cops.

I just want police to follow the same rules as everyone else, if anything they should be held to higher standard, but I would be happy with the same standard. If they mess up they should be held accountable to the same degree a non-LEO would be. And I expect LEOs to actively protect citizens against other LEOs committing crimes just as they would any other criminal.
the fact that you think officers would abandon there post even if someone broke through makes it clear you have never be in LE if you leave your post that just allows more people to flood in making your job more difficult.

bluegoo300

The facts machine
And the magazines & ammo mysteriously disappear, & cannot be found?
This all smells very fishy to me.
you would be surprised how much **** goes missing in evidence lock up its always fishy however its usually misplaced and they find it nine months down the road

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
you would be surprised how much **** goes missing in evidence lock up its always fishy however its usually misplaced and they find it nine months down the road
I wouldn't be surprised.
Remember...I live in Michiganistan.
The cops here are amazingly inept & indolent.

freethinker44

the fact that you think officers would abandon there post even if someone broke through makes it clear you have never be in LE if you leave your post that just allows more people to flood in making your job more difficult.
Ok, let me ask you this hypothetical:

Two officers detain someone for some trivial matter, not even a necessarily legal matter.
To set it up, here's what is known by both officers: the suspect is unarmed, has no arrest warrants or previous contact with law enforcement, and he isn't a threat to the public or the officers, committed no crime, is clearly intimidate by police.
For someone reason, probably fear, he runs right before the officers are about to let him go on his way. Not even fast either, it's like a moderate jog. One officer begins to run after the guy, the other officer doesn't attempt to chase him and pulls his weapon and fires two shots but misses. Also, the cop shooting has confided previously that he has been having a bad day and isn't in the mood to put up with any crap from people. The first cop turns and see his partner take aim for a third shot that will surely kill the man. The only way this is going to end is for the man to be killed by the one cop, or the other cop shooting the other cop to protect the man. Now the question.
Do YOU think most officers would pull their gun and shoot another officer in this situation?
Keep in mind, I'm not asking what you know they would do, no one could know what they would do, but what YOU think they would do given the information provided.

bluegoo300

The facts machine
Ok, let me ask you this hypothetical:

Two officers detain someone for some trivial matter, not even a necessarily legal matter.
To set it up, here's what is known by both officers: the suspect is unarmed, has no arrest warrants or previous contact with law enforcement, and he isn't a threat to the public or the officers, committed no crime, is clearly intimidate by police.
For someone reason, probably fear, he runs right before the officers are about to let him go on his way. Not even fast either, it's like a moderate jog. One officer begins to run after the guy, the other officer doesn't attempt to chase him and pulls his weapon and fires two shots but misses. Also, the cop shooting has confided previously that he has been having a bad day and isn't in the mood to put up with any crap from people. The first cop turns and see his partner take aim for a third shot that will surely kill the man. The only way this is going to end is for the man to be killed by the one cop, or the other cop shooting the other cop to protect the man. Now the question.
Do YOU think most officers would pull their gun and shoot another officer in this situation?
Keep in mind, I'm not asking what you know they would do, no one could know what they would do, but what YOU think they would do given the information provided.
first before I answer this question no that at no point would this ever happen its called escalation of force he has no right to pull a lethal weapon non-lethal yes lethal no. second what I and most officers would do in this situation is yell at the officer to stop they say either I got this or tazer tazer tazer. third no I do not believe most officers would pull a gun on the other one.

freethinker44

third no I do not believe most officers would pull a gun on the other one.
Wow, thanks. You're probably the first LEO supporter that actually gave a straight honest answer to this question. It's commendable, it really is, and it almost makes me not want to use your answer against you. Almost.

Whether it could or would actually happen isn't really interesting here. I would hope there were safeguards and policies in place to prevent stuff like this from happening. You see, to me, a good cop would use lethal force to stop someone from killing another person unjustly, if it was their last resort. And that's really what I was asking with that hypothetical: if someone is about to be killed unjustly, and lethal force was the only option, would most cops be good cops? And you answered no.

bluegoo300

The facts machine
Wow, thanks. You're probably the first LEO supporter that actually gave a straight honest answer to this question. It's commendable, it really is, and it almost makes me not want to use your answer against you. Almost.

Whether it could or would actually happen isn't really interesting here. I would hope there were safeguards and policies in place to prevent stuff like this from happening. You see, to me, a good cop would use lethal force to stop someone from killing another person unjustly, if it was their last resort. And that's really what I was asking with that hypothetical: if someone is about to be killed unjustly, and lethal force was the only option, would most cops be good cops? And you answered no.
did you even read the rest of my post about IT NEVER HAPPENS IN THE FIRST PLACE

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Found in the news today.....
http://www.wsj.com/articles/americans-pay-your-taxes-or-lose-your-passport-1447971424
Congress is poised to enact a law denying or revoking passports for U.S. citizens who haven’t paid their taxes.
Under a new law expected to take effect in January, the State Department will block Americans with “seriously delinquent” tax debt from receiving new passports and will be allowed to rescind existing passports of people who fall into that category. The list of affected taxpayers will be compiled by the Internal Revenue Service using a threshold of $50,000 of unpaid federal taxes, including penalties and interest, which would be adjusted for inflation.
Travel restrictions if you owe them money?
We've already seen the resurgence of debtor's prison.
This portends other losses of liberty to coerce us over non-crimes.
The threshold, $50K, is an easy & common tax debt to have.
Example:
Lose a property thru foreclosure?
The bank will 1099 you for any portion of the debt they find uncollectible.
To the IRS, this is taxable income.
They like to kick you when you're down.

Last edited: