• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is America a Police state?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Police continue to harass citizens who record them | Washington Examiner
[youtube]jdxMjjTu44s[/youtube]
YouTube - Police told to arrest innocent people to meet targets

Your thoughts about recording the acts of public 'servants'?
Has anyone had a bad experience with law enforcement?

Was the title of the thread supposed to be a joke, or did you mean it seriously? No, the U.S. is not a police state, but the fact that you're not allowed to record your interaction with cops in some states is ridiculous and needs to be done away with.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Your thoughts about recording the acts of public 'servants'?

I think it's a damn good idea. Everyone should do it, and they should do it everytime they interact with the police. I carry a small voice recorder on my keychain (they come in handy for so many things).

The only time I've ever had to use the recording was when I was stopped by a cop for open carry. He didn't know the law and tried to arrest me on BS charges. I cited the law on my side when the Lt. showed up, played him the recording, and set the guy straight. Being in a "one party consent" state has its advantages, especially when you're one of the parties. :D

Now days, I just conceal carry and wave.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The law has only recently been clarified in the UK. we can record the actions of police.
Evidence of police brutality has been used in court againt them.

DeitySlayer

President of Chindia
If you're free to complain that your country is a 'police state', then it isn't a 'police state'. Iran is a police state. North Korea is a police state. USA? Not so much.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If you're free to complain that your country is a 'police state', then it isn't a 'police state'. Iran is a police state. North Korea is a police state. USA? Not so much.

But what if one can only complain when the cops are out of earshot?
People I know have been beaten & sexually assaulted by cops for mere insufficient contrition.

Amill

Apikoros
Just based on the changes in law over the last generation you can see how society feels about cops. There's a reason police officers now have to be held more accountable for their actions, and need objective evidence to support their claims(like breathalyzers and video taping errant/drunk drivers). It's because they're untrustworthy and just as mistake prone as the rest of society. The days where cops are always right is over. That doesn't stop a lot of them from abusing their power or corruption though. I am always skeptical of police officers, they lie, make up ********, look out for themselves and other cops.... just like the rest of society. Only problem is they have the power to make people miserable and possibly get away with it.

Recently in Indiana a drunk officer ran into some bikers, killing 1 of them and injuring some others. Straub: 'The system failed' | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

The cop's buddies botched the case and they had to drop the more serious charges against the officer. Wow what a coincidence. Public was so upset over it though the state had to do something, and I'm pretty sure he'll serve his time.

Even though I rant on cops I have a lot of respect for the ones that act like decent human beings. I just don't like the idea that somehow we're supposed to obey cops and respect them because so and so says so. They're idiots like the rest of us, just with more power.

Last edited:

Bismillah

Submit
Haha ya, I guess they need to make money as well. Problem was I didn't see any cars either way so when I approached an intersection I just took a right. Right in front of the officer on a biker hiding in the shade. Then again, maybe it helps prevent accidents between motorists and cyclists.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Not quite a police state yet. I do believe the US is a Counterintelligence State.

My opinion is that it's a police state in some neighborhoods....& only on occasion in other places.
I know some good cops. I presume that a majority are good. But because of their brutish brethren,
I avoid cops & doing anything which could interest them in me.

As things are, much crime is committed by cops. I'd say let's fire half of them, & use the same
budget to better vet, train & monitor those remaining.

gnomon

Is the United States a police state?

I don't think so. I do believe, however, that enforcement of laws against police, and other public officials, is severely lacking.

Then again, part of the problem is the general public. Honestly, when you read on a forum a lot of citizens stating that they find the U.S. Constitution to no longer be relevant it's not hard to wonder why the US is going to a state of crap.