• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Im out

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
The discussions on here are hot garbage. I am tired of trying to hold reasonable discourse when verifiable information isn't considered. Half-baked options are a dime a dozen and there aren't any discussions actually occurring. Couple this with posts encouraging the skepticism of the COVID vaccine and you have my reasons. I refuse to be a part of it.

AlexanderG

The discussions on here are hot garbage. I am tired of trying to hold reasonable discourse when verifiable information isn't considered. Half-baked options are a dime a dozen and there aren't any discussions actually occurring. Couple this with posts encouraging the skepticism of the COVID vaccine and you have my reasons. I refuse to be a part of it.

Sorry to hear that. I find this site an interesting mix of rational and curious thinkers of all stripes, plus some irrational thinkers that keep the rest of us on our toes. In my experience, people almost entirely get along and there's an "Ignore" option if not. Still, it's your prerogative and you get decide how to spend your time. I wish you the best.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

Sorry to hear you're going. Perhaps after a little time away you'll be ready to return. I have to take breaks myself.

Take care of yourself. :blueheart:

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member

That would be a shame,you’ve been on here for a long time,it can of course be like flogging a dead horse at times but not all the times,hope you stay.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
BB66DB65-FDE1-4848-9B8B-DD199FB29059.jpeg

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe

Come back any time, it may just turn into a breather. You will be missed

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

The topics change over time, come back when you feel you can risk a lookie see if they have magicked there way back you enjoyment.
I for one will miss you.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Sad that you are sad.
But that's what the world is like.

I hope you come back. :)

Daemon Sophic

Sorry to hear it @Quetzal , but I can certainly understand the frustration of slapping them so much, so hard, so often…..only to achieve a bruised hand.
But sometimes just the sheer joy of senselessly slapping them around for kicks and giggles is it own reward. ;)
I hope you come back after a while. I’ll give you some nice studded leather gloves. :D

Take care of yourself out there.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Very, very sorry to hear that. I find you one of the more interesting posters. I hope you will find your way to changing your mind, after a little breather. There are, you know, a few of us who do like rational argument.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Best to keep at a distance. One time someone said they didn't mind unvaccinated getting killed; genocide. I had to take a run.

Breaks are always good.

Take care

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Sorry to see that.

I decided a long time ago that I am not really writing to those people even when I hit reply to one of their comments and give an opinion. There are very few people capable of having a good faith discussion, by which I mean open-mindedly considering one's arguments and either explicitly agreeing with them, or disagreeing and giving what he thinks is the flaw in the case made. Likewise with failing to answer non-rhetorical questions.

There are many people on RF that can do that, but since I rarely disagree with them, there is little reason to engage in discussions with them, either. You're one of those. This might be the first post of yours I have ever responded to. It might be the first time I had a different opinion than the one you expressed.

So why be here? This is a good place to survey the spectrum of types of people out there and their relative numbers. Right now I am especially enjoying the comments from the antivaxxers. It provides a window into that kind of thinking. I'm enjoying thinking about the sciencey sounding answers given by people who reject the council of the scientists - "we're just waiting for more information" from people who ignore use the advice of experts, "we're waiting for full FDA approval" from people who don't care what the FDA, WHO, CDC, or Fauci say.

It's an interesting phenomenon, much like the creationists giving specious, sciency sounding rebuttals to evolutionary science, one again using the science they like to reject the science that challenges their unexamined positions.

There's a quote I like that approximately sums up this habit of trying to sound like you use evidence and reason in a world that respects and expects that, when you don't:

"Hypocrisy is the compliment vice pays to virtue." meaning that when one is being hypocritical like that, he is in essence acknowledging that critical thinking is a virtue is worthy of giving lip service to even when not in one's tool box.

Maybe you can find value in this exercise if you reframe what it is you are doing here. It can't be to have constructive discussions with people who don't share your idea on what is the proper way to decide what is true about the world. It has to be to observe them and learn from what you see. I'm also watching the evolution of the hostility to antivaxxers. It wasn't that long ago people weren't showing open contempt for such people. Now they are. The conversation is evolving. Where else can you get this view of what's going on out there?

Here's a laugh for you, since you're out. This is about four people betting that they can go the longest without masturbating. Best wishes.

Last edited:

Vee

Premium Member

I'm really sorry you feel that way, and I hope this is only a well deserved break and that you'll come back in the future. Hope to chat with you again. Whatever you decide to do, wish you all the best.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
You seem to be upset that certain views aren't censored to your liking. Maybe change your expectations. Until then...have a nice day . :rolleyes:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
You seem to be upset that certain views aren't censored to your liking. Maybe change your expectations. Until then...have a nice day . :rolleyes:

I saw no mention of censorship in the OP; only an expression of exhaustion and frustration. It's understandable to me that some people feel this way when certain stressful and thorny subjects are trending, whether those are presidential elections, the pandemic and vaccines, or any other hot-button issues.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

Take care, Quetzal. I hope you eventually decide to only take a break and come back. I consider you a valuable part of this community.

Stay safe and healthy!