• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm Not a Tolerant Person

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Or liberal Non-Christians that have made it a hobby and profession to politically weaponize children.... ;)
Claims without even any supporting evidence to give us ideas of what you mean.
Or do you mean teaching children how to behave like proper, civilized adults who get along with eachother and keep insignificant personal baggage in their own personal life rather invading into the lives and spaces of others? That they have to share society with even those they disagree with? That sex is natural and isn't shameful and there's safe and proper ways to go about it?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
On what basis?
Sermons are traditional, not anything required in scriptures. Communion is required as is assembly, but sermons are not...in scripture. Sermons are to many people central to church, however there are no actual requirements pertaining to them. You could argue that they are secular. I'm not saying they are secular, but it is easy to see them that way.

I suppose you could claim in defense of sermons that they are a function of one of the 5 types of ministry given to support church members: teachers, pastors, evangelists prophets and apostles, but it would only be a claim. It would be like claiming that there must be plastic cups for communion to be legitimate or that hymns must be sung 5 times per assembly etc.

Clara Tea

He did mention he Hell. But he talked a bunch and lots and very frequently about loving thy neighbor. That love part requires more than just tolerance. Like a screaming baby on an airplane. We don't love that and unconditionally accept it and look past that. We tolerate it because we have to. It's not like someone with Tourette's and you just accept the ticks as a part of that person and love the person still despite the traits of Tourette's that society loves to ridicule and mock. But instead this is a person you love so those traits don't matter to you.

If driven to cussing, we could always claim to have Tourettes (some blurt out cuss words randomly without meaning to).

Screaming babies on airplanes....I wonder if that's why they have the "seatbelt" signs....to keep people from throwing them out the door?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If driven to cussing, we could always claim to have Tourettes (some blurt out cuss words randomly without meaning to).
You'd run into some people who'd call that out, because the form of Tourettes that causes swearing is a rarity among an already rare disorder.
Screaming babies on airplanes....I wonder if that's why they have the "seatbelt" signs....to keep people from throwing them out the door?
That one, probably. Most of us tolerate it the way we tolerate a root canal, and that level of tolerance varies. So, yeah. Definitely a precaution from those desperately trying to cling on to their sanity.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
If intolerance means staying true to your ideals, or at the very least, true to your nature... than I approve. If intolerance results in significant hypocrisy... then I do not approve.

Clara Tea

The ancient Jewish people didn't have a concept of hell. They had Sheol. Hell as it is known today did not exist in Jesus' culture.
The snake was an evil entity in the Garden of Eden. So, it sort of was Satan (or a demon, perhaps?).

Sheol - Wikipedia

Sheol is for the dead (righteous and unrighteous). It is the "common grave of humans." Greeks believed in something similar....Hades. (source: above).

DNB

Christian
I would like to understand the reason.
What's the point?

Ok...that pastor dressed like that.
But what do children have to do with all this?
They are the most impressionable. They are getting steered in the wrong direction from a very early age - the effects will be hard to correct.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Claims without even any supporting evidence to give us ideas of what you mean.
Or do you mean teaching children how to behave like proper, civilized adults who get along with eachother and keep insignificant personal baggage in their own personal life rather invading into the lives and spaces of others? That they have to share society with even those they disagree with? That sex is natural and isn't shameful and there's safe and proper ways to go about it?
It was your demeanor of clumping everyone into one box that was wrong. So I thought we can cut it both ways. Your position, IMV, was simply wrong and became the very thing you don't like.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm very tolerant of magical thinking...as long as it
doesn't result in oppression, theft, assault, etc.
So what if the OP believes in sky fairies & miracles.
If he minds his own business, that's OK.
Your level of tolerance is just sooo revolting.:p

firedragon

Veteran Member
He hung around with prostitutes and the other undesirable classes. He wasn't judging those folks.

Prostitute as a word is used for things like "corrupted the earth by her adulteries", and is condemned. Not in the OT, but in the NT. Mother of prostitutes is equal to abominations of the world. Anyone who unites with a prostitute is opposite to the one who unites with the lord. Prostitutes are put together with drunkards, thieves, adulterers, thieves, slanderers. Tax Collectors and prostitutes is referred in the only occasion as an example of the worst people who enter the kingdom of God before the one son who duped his father which means he is worse than the prostitutes.

There is no indication Jesus hung around with prostitutes. He was judging them (If you trust the New Testament to be a historically valid source which you dont). :)

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Prostitute as a word is used for things like "corrupted the earth by her adulteries", and is condemned. Not in the OT, but in the NT. Mother of prostitutes is equal to abominations of the world. Anyone who unites with a prostitute is opposite to the one who unites with the lord. Prostitutes are put together with drunkards, thieves, adulterers, thieves, slanderers. Tax Collectors and prostitutes is referred in the only occasion as an example of the worst people who enter the kingdom of God before the one son who duped his father which means he is worse than the prostitutes.

There is no indication Jesus hung around with prostitutes. He was judging them.
Jesus' whole message is lost then, by your judgement.

Clara Tea

Yeah because Jesus was such a jerk to everyone he met.
Why am I forcibly reminded of the phrase
“I like your Christ but not your Christians. So unlike your Christ.”
Also by today’s fashion standards Jesus and his followers were wearing what amounts to dresses functionally speaking. Just a fun little tidbit
So much for no cross dressing.

Also I thought hubris was commonly thought of as a sin, no?
Jerk? Noooooo.....don't cure my blindness.......doh.