• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm Not a Tolerant Person

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It was your demeanor of clumping everyone into one box that was wrong. So I thought we can cut it both ways. Your position, IMV, was simply wrong and became the very thing you don't like.
Those are the groups who are notorious for it. Liberals, Democrats, secular thought, it was nothing like that or of the Left that decided to make the issue of gay rights about kids. It was Conservative Christians inflating their own egos while attempting to mask their selfishness by trying to drag someone else into the issue.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Jesus' whole message is lost then, by your judgement.

Thats a composition fallacy. And its not a "judgement", it was just reading the NT. There is nothing of the sort you were citing. IF you believe in the NT so vehemently, you should not turn it upside down and claim something that does not exist in it anywhere, and even contradict it.

Hope you understand.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Those are the groups who are notorious for it. Liberals, Democrats, secular thought, it was nothing like that or of the Left that decided to make the issue of gay rights about kids. It was Conservative Christians inflating their own egos while attempting to mask their selfishness by trying to drag someone else into the issue.
That, my dear friend, is a personal opinion.

Like I said, your statement was in the same demeanor as the poster. If the first was wrong... then you are wrong.

Now, you may not want to accept it, but that is another story

firedragon

Veteran Member
Sermons are traditional, not anything required in scriptures. Communion is required as is assembly, but sermons are not...in scripture. Sermons are to many people central to church, however there are no actual requirements pertaining to them. You could argue that they are secular. I'm not saying they are secular, but it is easy to see them that way.

I suppose you could claim in defense of sermons that they are a function of one of the 5 types of ministry given to support church members: teachers, pastors, evangelists prophets and apostles, but it would only be a claim. It would be like claiming that there must be plastic cups for communion to be legitimate or that hymns must be sung 5 times per assembly etc.

Nice. I just dont see the relevance.

DNB

Christian
I know! Tolerating the outcasts of society is a sin! Jesus did that, and even taught that to his followers! He got crucified for it too!

Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you. For John came to you to show you the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes did.
You're right to reject Jesus here! He was no true conservative! He was wrong to not listen to the Pharisees. They were right to condemn him and nail him to a tree, right?

Out of curiosity, have you actually read the teachings of Jesus yet?
Get serious, Jesus never had an overt sinner take up ministry with him. Jesus said it himself that they are sick and in need of rehabilitation.
Mark 2:16-17
When the teachers of the law who were Pharisees saw him eating with the sinners and tax collectors, they asked his disciples: “Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?”
On hearing this, Jesus said to them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Thats a composition fallacy. And its not a "judgement", it was just reading the NT. There is nothing of the sort you were citing. IF you believe in the NT so vehemently, you should not turn it upside down and claim something that does not exist in it anywhere, and even contradict it.

Hope you understand.
I don't believe in the NT, but Jesus is renown for being associated with social undesirables and not judging them as harshly as the leaders of his day. It's not that he thought what they did was good, but that he wasn't outcasting them.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Nice. I just dont see the relevance.
Sermons are traditional not written into the scripture. Its different for Christians than it is for Muslims. Jesus preached a sermon, and that's it. There's only 1 official sermon. No scripture says "You must listen to sermons" or "You must give sermons."

Kenny

Premium Member
But.... as I said, you become "intolerant" with Conservatives and Christians ssoooooo you became the very thing you don't like :)

Kenny

Premium Member
Sermons are traditional not written into the scripture. Its different for Christians than it is for Muslims. Jesus preached a sermon, and that's it. There's only 1 official sermon.
Wouldn't that be just a different use of terms? When someone "preaches" he could be just "teaching" which he did often.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I don't believe in the NT, but Jesus is renown for being associated with social undesirables and not judging them as harshly as the leaders of his day. It's not that he thought what they did was good, but that he wasn't outcasting them.

Renown from what documents if not the NT? Where is your information coming from? Its not in the NT, and you dont believe the NT anyway.

kjw47

Many Christians only read the parts of the Bible that agree with their own worldview. That's how they justify holy wars and crusades and inquisitions. But that's for another rant.

No christians did what you suggested, the darkness accomplished those things. It takes throwing Jesus away to appease govt to do those kind of things. They even allowed the young men to kill for men like Adolf Hitler. They stood on both sides blowing each others heads off. They are false religions.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Sermons are traditional not written into the scripture. Its different for Christians than it is for Muslims. Jesus preached a sermon, and that's it. There's only 1 official sermon. No scripture says "You must listen to sermons" or "You must give sermons."

This has nothing to do with Muslims. Anyway, this is not relevant Brick. I withdraw from that type conversation. Thanks.

DNB

Christian
That's what exorcisms and deprogramming are for?
That's true, ...but, not all are effective. One must address the source of the problem - people who don't know what gender that they are (maybe should've looked at his drivers license before he got dressed in the morning?).

epronovost

Thes
Get serious, Jesus never had an overt sinner take up ministry with him. Jesus said it himself that they are sick and in need of rehabilitation.
Mark 2:16-17
When the teachers of the law who were Pharisees saw him eating with the sinners and tax collectors, they asked his disciples: “Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?”
On hearing this, Jesus said to them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

These quotes make me wonder why Jesus had such beef with tax collectors. Prostitutes I get a bit more; a prostitute basically fornicates all the time and sometime commits adultery with married men (she might not be married, certainly not and might very well be a slave of some sort, but some of her clients probably are married). Sure that makes Jesus a complete ******* for considering prostitutes and not prostitution as the problem, but hey, nobody's perfect. Tax collectors though, I don't get. What's the problem with collecting taxes? Did he think large scale irrigation works, roads, marketplaces, fortresses, armies, pubic granaries and temples just magically happened and didn't require some sort of financial resources? You can be opposed to where the tax money goes or to the height of taxes, but, like for the prostitutes, that's not the tax collector's business or responsibility, that's the king's and priesthood's. Talk about judging people without even thinking a second about their situation. Sometime, that Jesus guy really didn't think further than his nose.

DNB

Christian
But, he wasn't telling them to carry on in their ways either, was he. He told the woman caught in adultery to stop sinning. He would not have a blatant sinner among his disciples, until they repented and renounced their former ways.
He would've told the drag-queen to either change, or be cast out.

epronovost

That's true, ...but, not all are effective. One must address the source of the problem - people who don't know what gender that they are (maybe should've looked at his drivers license before he got dressed in the morning?).

You're aware that drag queens aren't transgender do you? They are burlesque performers. It's theatre. The drag queen doesn't think he's a woman or anything like that. He dresses up as a woman (or more accurately some sort of caricature of a woman) for entertainment purpose. It's the same principle than those heavy metal bands that dress in dark with all sort of morbid imagery, but with pastel and glitter instead.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Wouldn't that be just a different use of terms? When someone "preaches" he could be just "teaching" which he did often.
Very often I hear individuals criticize catholicism for having mysteries or accuse the priests of being liars. Take for example the mystery of the trinity. That is our #1 thread spooler here on RF and in two other forums I used to frequent for years. How many threads have there been accusing the catholics of lying about the trinity? Jesus in the gospels speaks in weird ways people don't get and in ways people will misunderstand. He tells his disciples some nonsense about the yeast of the Pharisees, and his disciples just don't get it. And its their fault for being too dull. This is different from the sermon on the mount The sermon on the mount is easy to understand, plain.

His teaching was done in parables which the people couldn't grasp. The sermon on the mount was clear. Today it would probably be called an exegesis. Jesus also never taught his disciples everything they would need and picked on them once when they didn't figure things out for themselves. Despite speaking words that he knew would not be understood he did not consider this lying, which brings into question whether we can read anything in the gospels literally except for the sermon on the mount. And what about the way his apostles speak? Are they direct, or do they follow Jesus example? When teaching Jesus doesn't hold himself responsible for what we hear, and often he is the only person who knows what he means. The sermon is different, because it is clear and easily drawn from previous scripture or can be read as commentary on scripture.

DNB

Christian
Thes

These quotes make me wonder why Jesus had such beef with tax collectors. Prostitutes I get a bit more; a prostitute basically fornicates all the time and sometime commits adultery with married men (she might not be married, certainly not and might very well be a slave of some sort, but some of her clients probably are married). Sure that makes Jesus a complete ******* for considering prostitutes and not prostitution as the problem, but hey, nobody's perfect. Tax collectors though, I don't get. What's the problem with collecting taxes? Did he think large scale irrigation works, roads, marketplaces, fortresses, armies, pubic granaries and temples just magically happened and didn't require some sort of financial resources? You can be opposed to where the tax money goes or to the height of taxes, but, like for the prostitutes, that's not the tax collector's business or responsibility, that's the king's and priesthood's. Talk about judging people without even thinking a second about their situation. Sometime, that Jesus guy really didn't think further than his nose.
Sorry dude, you have to start thinking past your nose. Jesus forgave the the woman caught in adultery, but denounced the sin. He was fully aware, more than you, of the difference between sinner and sin.
Tax collectors were renowned for being dishonest in Jesus' time. They were only obligated to bring to their superiors what the government required, he was therefore able to charge the civilians anything that he liked - and it was always exorbitant. Their name was synonymous with extortion and corruption.