• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Man Obeyed God

as an atheist, do you find this video reasonable?

• Total voters

thomas t

non-denominational Christian
This is a popular video on Youtube. (From my research, it is actually the most popular atheist one...)

It says: man's design, as for instance the immune system, suggests that he can die. However, death is mentioned in the BIble only after the original sin took place. So the video says, sin was somewhat needed for God's design to work in the world.

My stance to this:
There is no reason to believe that God did not change genetics after the episode in the garden.
For example, such a change is indicated by Genesis 6:3.

I also believe that God certainly would have figured out a way how to deal with overpopulation in case they wouldn't have sinned in the first place.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The video assumes the there was no death until the original sin, which is a belief that does not exist in the atheist paradigm (not to mention belief in God). So asking an atheist if it's reasonable is futile.

Though I did find it amusing.

thomas t

The video assumes the there was no death until the original sin, which is a belief that does not exist in the atheist paradigm (not to mention belief in God). So asking an atheist if it's reasonable is futile.

Hi Salix,
they comment on what they think the Christian paradigm is. The whole reason of videos like this one is finding flaws in the Christian way of thinking.
So they seem to be saying there is a contradiction in Genesis 2. One that I don't see.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi Salix,
they comment on what they think the Christian paradigm is. The whole reason of videos like this one is finding flaws in the Christian way of thinking.
So they seem to be saying there is a contradiction in Genesis 2. One that I don't see.

So you're suggesting that death did exist before the original sin? Or that God never communicated to Adam and Eve to be fruitful and multiply?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Hi Salix,
Well for starters, if death did not come into play after the original sin, then what was the point of telling Adam and Eve they will die if they don't even know what death was in the first place?

Nimos

Depends how you look at it I think.

God tells them that if they eat from the tree of knowledge that they will die, whether that means that they will die instantly or at some point like old age etc. is not 100% clear. But if they are going to die whether they eat from it or not. That means that God is lying or is at least manipulative, because it is reasonable for Adam and Eve to assume that they won't die if they don't eat from it.

However God is worried later on, after they have eaten it, that they will also eat from the tree of life, so they can't die. Which could suggest that death was always there, as you say. But then again, that makes God a liar or a deceiver and Satan is actually telling the truth.

So at least in my eyes, it doesn't really seem like God is getting out on top in this story no matter what.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Seen it before. The video is rather silly, but moderately amusing.

Still, it does point out that a lot of the Christian religion is really not very consistent.

Nimos

Can't view it and not going to create an account to do so. Anything not so restricted that says same?
It just tells an alternative story of the Adam and Eve event of eating the fruit, where they don't eat from it and end up populating the whole Earth with humans, and God forces Adam to eat the fruit in the end.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It just tells an alternative story of the Adam and Eve event of eating the fruit, where they don't eat from it and end up populating the whole Earth with humans, and God forces Adam to eat the fruit in the end.
I always thought so. Leaving Adam and Eve with the serpent! Cunning and scheming. And then asking Adam "Where are you?" As if he did not know.

Last edited:

thomas t

God tells them that if they eat from the tree of knowledge that they will die, whether that means that they will die instantly or at some point like old age etc. is not 100% clear.
God announced that they would die the same day... and they physically died appr. 1000 years later.
Some argue that death started for them that day they ate from the fruit.

But if they are going to die whether they eat from it or not. That means that God is lying or at least manipulative,
God didn't lie, in my opinion.
However God is worried later on, after they have eaten it, that they will also eat from the tree of life, so they can't die. Which could suggest that death was always there, as you say.
I think death wasn't there. But it was ready to enter the scene. This is at least how I understand it.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I prefer Lilith. Its a much better story.

Nimos

God announced that they would die the same day... and they physically died appr. 1000 years later.
Some argue that death started for them that day they ate from the fruit.
Its a reasonable argument I think, the bible as far as I know, doesn't tell us a lot about it. But my own understand of it, is that as well. That Adam and Eve is not going to suffer or die in the Garden before after they have eaten the fruit.

In that case God is telling the truth, yet doesn't do well for his image overall, but still better :D That a day become a 1000 years, Im not too keen on, but that is just me.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Watching the video for me saved me some time there, fella.
As to the thread title....
Obey which "God"?
There are certainly many flavors, not all of them reasonable.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
This is a popular video on Youtube. (From my research, it is actually the most popular atheist one...)

It says: man's design, as for instance the immune system, suggests that he can die. However, death is mentioned in the BIble only after the original sin took place. So the video says, sin was somewhat needed for God's design to work in the world.

My stance to this:
There is no reason to believe that God did not change genetics after the episode in the garden.
For example, such a change is indicated by Genesis 6:3.

I also believe that God certainly would have figured out a way how to deal with overpopulation in case they wouldn't have sinned in the first place.

What's the video called?

I can't view it here since it's aged restricted only on youtube