• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If abortion really is a "crime", why should the woman not be punished?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Man's legal definition or not, abortion is a moral issue Not political.
When mother and doctor judge to execute the unborn as being unfit to live that is upon them.

Yes, even under the Constitution of the Mosaic Law there was degrees of murder.
' Cities of Refuge ' were set up for some degrees of murder - Numbers 35:6

And as such the decision should be left up to the woman, her doctor, and her conscience. No others need apply.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
How did they perform abortions in Moses' day?

I don't know, but the Jewish sites I went to said they had abortion back then.

One Bible text describes a concoction given to a woman that the husband thinks cheated, - which brings on the curse, - an abortion.

Most of these sites said a fetus wasn't considered a human until the head emerged at birth.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
This is where I disagree with so many feminists.
The doctor has no authority in this decision.
He/she may advise & inform, but that's it.
Only the mother-to-be (or not-to-be) owns the decision.

The doctor only for medical reasons, not moral.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Right, burning infants alive is Not abortion (Jeremiah 32:35), but getting rid of the un-born or the new-born for selfish reasons just for wanting to get rid of an unwanted child is.

Mostly right (except for the "but getting rid of the un-born or the new-born for selfish reasons just for wanting to get rid of an unwanted child is.") . You have already made a distinction, even if it was a subconscious one. Abortion only applies to foetuses i.e. those who are not yet born. Ritual infanticide was performed on babies already born. So no, not the same thing.

Further, if getting rid of a new-born is so heinous then why aren't you against adoption? (that's pure assumption on my part, I admit. I'm fully prepared to be shown it's a wrong assumption) If 'aborting' a new-born is passing the buck on to God, why is it okay to pass the buck to other people by putting the baby up for adoption?

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Mostly right (except for the "but getting rid of the un-born or the new-born for selfish reasons just for wanting to get rid of an unwanted child is.") . You have already made a distinction, even if it was an subconsciously. Abortion only applies to foetuses i.e. those who are not yet born. Ritual infanticide was performed on babies already born. So no, not the same thing.

Further, if getting rid of a new-born is so heinous then why aren't you against adoption? (that's pure assumption on my part, I admit. I'm fully prepared to be shown it's a wrong assumption) If 'aborting' a new-born is passing the buck on to God, why is it okay to pass the buck to other people by putting the baby up for adoption?

And let us not mention contraception which sole purpose is to stop a fetus from forming in the first place.

Mackerni

Libertarian Unitarian
My friend talked to some pro-lifers out of the street one day and told them that if his mom never would have gotten an abortion, he would have never been born. It's the truth, because four months after his mom's abortion he was conceived.

Abortion is a touchy subject and nobody really wins the argument. If abortion is okay - who speaks for the unborn children? If abortion is not okay - who speaks for the women? Since it is currently impossible to see what is going to happen into the future the best bet is to make the decision yourself to raise, abort, or have your child adopted. I would contend that in most scenarios, adoption is better than abortion. With that being said, there's half a million children in the United States alone in foster care. I do believe that overpopulation is a myth, however.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I do believe that overpopulation is a myth, however.
That would depend upon how one defines it.
Certainly, the planet can hold many more people.
In that sense, we're not overpopulated.
But is expanding our population worth the costs, eg, deforestation, species extinction, crowding, overfishing?
Are we better off having a larger population?
I don't think so.
Moreover, continual expansion isn't feasible.

Kelly of the Phoenix

Women can't be killed for having an abortion. After all, we are nothing but baby factories and if you kill the factory, no more babies for you.

Unless you're rich or powerful and the child is inconvenient.

I'm fine with abortion being legal all the way up until the end. Sometimes major health problems occur towards the end. Ignoring that puts the mother at risk. If you let the mother die, she won't be making any more kids. I'm also fine with dropping off all residents of orphanages, foster and group homes on pro-life people, since, ya know, they think those kids deserve to be here. They can take care of them. Adoption is frequently used as an alternative to abortion but yet we don't have empty orphanages. Hmmm.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
And as such the decision should be left up to the woman, her doctor, and her conscience. No others need apply.

We are Not under the Constitution of the Mosaic Law. Abortion is a moral issue Not political.

Both doctors and women can have a damaged conscience - 1 Timothy 4:2
So, letting ' one's conscience be your guide ' is Not always a reliable source. Who'd want the conscience of a serial killer ?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
We are Not under the Constitution of the Mosaic Law. Abortion is a moral issue Not political.

Both doctors and women can have a damaged conscience - 1 Timothy 4:2
So, letting ' one's conscience be your guide ' is Not always a reliable source. Who'd want the conscience of a serial killer ?
A medical reason can be a moral reason.

Still not your choice, nor business. And it seems you are too close to the subject to objectively discuss it.

Thanda

I must say I was very confused with the uproar over Trumps comments. It certainly sounded logical. Whenever did you have a law against something if the was no punishment for breaking it. And how would it make sense to punish the Doctors but not the women involved in abortions? Are we saying that these women were not capable of rational thought or that they are somehow mentally deficient and unable to properly process the consequences of breaking the law?

If abortion is illegal then it is a criminal offence to have it. And if the crime is committed the punishment should go to those who committed it.