• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I was a Christian ... once upon a time

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Judaism, Xianity, Islam, Hinduism, Pastafarianism
Which sects of Hinduism, and ignore Pastafarianism.
You've ignored one of the largest, Sikhism. Not like I'm surprised; nobody looks into Sikhism.

There's also Ayyavazhi, Konkokyo, and so on.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Hehe, I see you have used your introduction as a debating thread. Good to see you start off fighting it through :p

I like that your avatar is the eye, specialy when I think a lot of things, llike religion can change a lot depending on the eye with which you see them.

In any case, blessings to you and welcome to RF!

Hopefully we´ll have some rough and interesting debates around here and there :)

blackout

Violet.
I don't think you had a born again experience. I think you had a religious experience. I believe that you probably believed one must merit heaven in order to enter in and you stumbled at the stumbling stone as do many.

I did have a born again experience,
and it led me straight out of the christian religion...
and religion in general.

If there's one set of "jesus" quotes I still really like,
it's the kingdom teachings-

"the kingdom is now"
"the kingdom is within"
"the kingdom is in the midst of you"

You're right about not needing to merit the 'kingdom of god'.
We just need to stumble into OUR OWN Christ'hood.
Today. Anywhere. Right where we are, And there we are.

This of course, has nothing at all to do with christianity
as the world defines it. It's a lame label anyway. IMO.

pwfaith

I was a christian many years ago. I believed I was saved and I believed that Jesus loved me. I began to question my faith and the more questions I asked, the more my faith fell apart. I felt sure God would answer all my questions eventually. But no answers came. I gradually realised that i was just talking to myself.

In my opinion, Christianity (and every other monotheistic religion I have encountered) fails from several standpoints - moral, scientific and logical. It seems to me that if someone is religious at all, it is overwhelmingly likely that they will have the same religion as their parents. It's a cultural phenomenon.

Welcome :)

smidjit

I did have a born again experience,
and it led me straight out of the christian religion...
and religion in general.

If there's one set of "jesus" quotes I still really like,
it's the kingdom teachings-

"the kingdom is now"
"the kingdom is within"
"the kingdom is in the midst of you"

You're right about not needing to merit the 'kingdom of god'.
We just need to stumble into OUR OWN Christ'hood.
Today. Anywhere. Right where we are, And there we are.

This of course, has nothing at all to do with christianity
as the world defines it. It's a lame label anyway. IMO.

A true born again experience results in spiritual regeneration, or a spiritual birthing to put it another way. When this occurs Christs spirit is deposited into the core of our being and is forever a part of us. He has made it clear that once he deposits his spirit within us it will "NEVER" depart.

Heb 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

Therefore a true born again person can never deny the existence of Christ's spirit because it forever lives within the believer. If you had had a true spiritual birthing you could not deny God because he would still live within you. It is impossible. Christians can lose heart and get discouraged and wander away from God, but even in their wandering they cannot deny their savior.

blackout

Violet.
A true born again experience results in spiritual regeneration, or a spiritual birthing to put it another way. When this occurs Christs spirit is deposited into the core of our being and is forever a part of us. He has made it clear that once he deposits his spirit within us it will "NEVER" depart.

Heb 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

Therefore a true born again person can never deny the existence of Christ's spirit because it forever lives within the believer. If you had had a true spiritual birthing you could not deny God because he would still live within you. It is impossible. Christians can lose heart and get discouraged and wander away from God, but even in their wandering they cannot deny their savior.

I just love the way you feel you're qualified to tell us all what a true born again experience is.

Perhaps it's best you just speak of your own personal experiences-
and let others speak of their own.

No one asked for your commentary,
your condesention, or your limited scope,
and no one needs your opinion or approval.

Protester

Funny that because I know I was saved. I was convinced Jesus loved me. I was convinced of the truth of The Bible. And yet with one sweeping statement you have tried to invalidate my experience. This is the worse kind of lie I can imagine. It's not just about me either. I know at least 2 other people who were very devout, for years, and now they are atheists. Are they phoney too? I think they would be insulted.

Do you see yourself as one of the sheep then? I guess some people don't mind being emotionally fleeced by religious nonsense. If only they would keep the poison to themselves.

Smidjit, good comment by the way:yes:

Spectrox War:

(I suppose I should point out which version of he Bible I get some verses from, the stuff in the public domain I might not bother, but anyway the following from the ASV, but it is in clear enough English that I don't have to worry about the Elizabethan problem.)

1Corinthians 1
17For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not in wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made void. 18For the word of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us who are saved it is the power of God. 19For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, And the discernment of the discerning will I bring to nought. 20Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21For seeing that in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom knew not God, it was God’s good pleasure through the foolishness of the preaching to save them that believe. 22Seeing that Jews ask for signs, and Greeks seek after wisdom: 23but we preach Christ crucified, unto Jews a stumblingblock, and unto Gentiles foolishness; 24but unto them that are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. 25Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. 26For behold your calling, brethren, that not many wise after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called : 27but God chose the foolish things of the world, that he might put to shame them that are wise; and God chose the weak things of the world, that he might put to shame the things that are strong; 28and the base things of the world, and the things that are despised, did God choose, yea and the things that are not, that he might bring to nought the things that are: 29that no flesh should glory before God. 30But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who was made unto us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption: 31that, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

It is obvious that no matter who or what will reason with a person who doesn't want to believe, won't as the old saying goes, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." Or to put it Biblically,

Luke 16
27And he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father’s house; 28for I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. 29But Abraham saith, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. 30And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one go to them from the dead, they will repent. 31And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, if one rise from the dead.

Oh, an emotional response, eh? Apparently this wasn't read:

The --whole-- thing from the World English Bible, yeah public domain, moderator!

Matthew 13
3He spoke to them many things in parables, saying, "“Behold, a farmer went out to sow. 4As he sowed, some seeds fell by the roadside, and the birds came and devoured them. 5Others fell on rocky ground, where they didn’t have much soil, and immediately they sprang up, because they had no depth of earth. 6When the sun had risen, they were scorched. Because they had no root, they withered away. 7Others fell among thorns. The thorns grew up and choked them. 8Others fell on good soil, and yielded fruit: some one hundred times as much, some sixty, and some thirty. 9He who has ears to hear, let him hear.”"

10The disciples came, and said to him, “Why do you speak to them in parables?”

11He answered them, "“To you it is given to know the mysteries of the Kingdom of Heaven, but it is not given to them. 12For whoever has, to him will be given, and he will have abundance, but whoever doesn’t have, from him will be taken away even that which he has. 13Therefore I speak to them in parables, because seeing they don’t see, and hearing, they don’t hear, neither do they understand. 14In them the prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled, which says,
‘By hearing you will hear,
and will in no way understand;
Seeing you will see,
and will in no way perceive:
15for this people’s heart has grown callous,
their ears are dull of hearing,
they have closed their eyes;
or else perhaps they might perceive with their eyes,
hear with their ears,
understand with their heart,
and should turn again;
and I would heal them.’

16“But blessed are your eyes, for they see; and your ears, for they hear. 17For most certainly I tell you that many prophets and righteous men desired to see the things which you see, and didn’t see them; and to hear the things which you hear, and didn’t hear them.

18“Hear, then, the parable of the farmer. 19When anyone hears the word of the Kingdom, and doesn’t understand it, the evil one comes, and snatches away that which has been sown in his heart. This is what was sown by the roadside. 20What was sown on the rocky places, this is he who hears the word, and immediately with joy receives it; 21yet he has no root in himself, but endures for a while. When oppression or persecution arises because of the word, immediately he stumbles. 22What was sown among the thorns, this is he who hears the word, but the cares of this age and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and he becomes unfruitful. 23What was sown on the good ground, this is he who hears the word, and understands it, who most certainly bears fruit, and brings forth, some one hundred times as much, some sixty, and some thirty.”"

An emotional foundation is lacking in a good roots.

Oh, well,

The bad part of it, especially for me, lies in the fact that science of all things seems to demand the existence of a God ---Freud

I want atheism to be true and am made uneasy by the fact that some of the most intelligent and well-informed people I know are religious believers. It isn't just that I don't believe in God and naturally hope that I'm right in my belief. It's that I hope that there is no God! I don't want there to be a God; I don't want the universe to be like that--atheist Professor/Philosopher Thomas Nagel
excerpts from, Is faith in God a crutch? a short monograph on the topic, from one of my favorite Baptist sites.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I don't know if I've ever seen an intro thread become a debate thread before. It appears Spectrox's "welcome" isn't so "welcoming". This is an introduction thread. If you want to debate something said by anyone in it...start a debate thread. Why fill this intro with criticism and debate?

smidjit

I just love the way you feel you're qualified to tell us all what a true born again experience is.

Maybe I struck a nerve. I thought we were having an exchange. I wasn't trying to be rude or offensive so why are you shutting me out? If I am wrong prove it.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Maybe I struck a nerve. I thought we were having an exchange. I wasn't trying to be rude or offensive so why are you shutting me out? If I am wrong prove it.
Shifting the burden. Support your own claims.

DandyAndy

I was a christian many years ago. I believed I was saved and I believed that Jesus loved me. I began to question my faith and the more questions I asked, the more my faith fell apart. I felt sure God would answer all my questions eventually. But no answers came. I gradually realised that i was just talking to myself.

In my opinion, Christianity (and every other monotheistic religion I have encountered) fails from several standpoints - moral, scientific and logical. It seems to me that if someone is religious at all, it is overwhelmingly likely that they will have the same religion as their parents. It's a cultural phenomenon.

Welcome!

What kind of questions did you ask and not receive answers for?

blackout

Violet.
i Have offered verses to back up my claim. Maybe that is the problem.

No no, you don't understand.

Your bible is proof of nothing.
Your interpretation and use of your bible is nothing,
(to me, and dare I say the rest of us)

It is your thing, that is all.
Nothing more, nothing less.

Yet you step in where you were not asked
as if you have some greater understanding
of other people's lives than they themselves do.

Now, if you want to delude yourself that this is true,
that is fine, it is your perogative, and your interpretation of life.
But EVERYONE has their own interpretation of life,
and it is ... I can't even think of the right word....
the nicest I can say it, it's completely lacking in good social form
to go around interpreting people's lives for them
interjecting all the things "you are sure of",
regarding the "truths" of their lives,
as IF you are some kind of "life interpretation authority".
AS IF you were even asked?

Now beyond that, the experience of being born again,
(for the sake of this conversation)
DOES NOT belong exclusively to christianity,
or to you,
or to your interpretation of christianity,
or to your interpretation of ANYTHING.

I KNOW MY Born Again experience
on account of the EXPERIENCE ITSELF.
Not because of some book.
But you, of course, are free to have
any kind of born again experience you want.
It would be so nice,
if you extended everyone else
the same simple courtesy.

I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:

blackout

Violet.
It is indeed. Not everyone agrees that the Bible is the final authority.

No they don't.
Nor do they agree that smidjit's interpretation of it
is any kind of final authority.

Just look at all of the denominations.

I'm somehow guessing that they do not all agree with smidjit's interpretations either.
(no matter how sure he is that HE knows better)

I'm guessing that smidjit is one of the "true christian" variety.
(it's a self proclaimed denomination- that supersedes all others)
He certainly wouldn't be the first to "grace" RF with his all knowing presence.

*yawns*

(we can all certainly do a lot of guessing about each other, can't we)

Last edited:

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
You said Monotheistic religions fail from moral, scientific, and logical standpoints. So does your opinion differ on Polytheistic religions?? :D

Protester

...for one thing a religion based on experiences? Consider, Are Experiences a Valid Form of Truth?

You are correct that one doesn't need someone else's approval. But,

Ephesians 6:14 Stand firm therefore, having girded your loins with truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness,
15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
16 in addition to all, taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.
17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
---Scripture Quotations Taken from the NASB

Feelings aren't a bad thing in the proper hierarchy of importance of the Christian life. I don't see anything about the experience in the above verses, but I do see "...word of God in them.:yes:

Last edited: