• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I see no value in atheism

ArtieE

I'm fine with the pendulum image, Artie, it's just that there's theism on one end and atheism on the other, and undecided in the middle.
Correct. And a person who is undecided is per definition "not theist" (atheist) and not a "strong atheist".

leibowde84

Veteran Member
You can logically prove the Biblical God can't exist by citing all the contradictory statements about Him in the Bible. It doesn't matter how many books you write about a bachelor describing his marriage in excruciating detail. A married bachelor doesn't exist.
Oh, I agree that it might be possible to disprove Specific notions of God, but I don't think it's possible to disprove god in general.

ArtieE

Negation is a "yes/no" thing. It's kind of binary.
I'll just repeat what I said because I can't think of a simpler way to say it.

1. There is a god.
2. I don't say there is a god nor do I say there is no god.
3. There is no god.

Person number 2 is per definition atheist (not theist).

leibowde84

Veteran Member
And to wrap it up, once more, the definition of atheist is not, "not the theist." It's the person who disbelieves or lacks belief in god/gods.
Lack of belief is certainly not the same as negative belief, right? So anyone who is undecided would fit because they lack belief, right?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Negation is a "yes/no" thing. It's kind of binary.
What about those who merely lack belief, but do not believe that God doesn't exist? Some just don't believe either way. There are many atheists who fit this description because they merely lack belief.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
What about those who merely lack belief, but do not believe that God doesn't exist? Some just don't believe either way. There are many atheists who fit this description because they merely lack belief.
It's not the same, but it's still in the same context that what should be negated as atheism is what is believed, rather than the act of believing, or the fact of a believer.

leibowde84

Veteran Member

1. There is a god.
3. There is no god.

See ... it's not binary. There are three options. Where are we losing her?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
It's not the same, but it's still in the same context that what should be negated as atheism is what is believed, rather than the act of believing, or the believer.
That is not the meaning of the term, even by your provided definitiin. The term signifies a lack of belief in God. That's all that is required. Right?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
That is not the meaning of the term, even by your provided definitiin. The term signifies a lack of belief in God. That's all that is required. Right?
No, the term atheist signifies the person who lacks belief in god. You're shifting the negation to be about the act of belief itself.

"Lacking" (the elimination of "There is a god") is the act it should be about.

"There is no god." = the negated, eliminative belief that corresponds to "There is a god."

Curious George

Veteran Member
She answered that up a little way. "A person who disbelieves or lacks belief in god." But why is it important to put them in a box?

Curious George

Veteran Member

1. There is a god.
3. There is no god.

If you believe there is a god you are a theist. If you believe there is no god you are an atheist if you "don't say. .." then you don't say what you are.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
That is How the term is defined. Even according to the definition you provided. Where are you getting this different definition from?
Grade 3 English, learning about negations, subjects and objects. I forget her name, but she had a very large ruler.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
No, the term atheist signifies the person who lacks belief in god.
Agreed.

"Lacking" (the elimination of "There is a god") is the act it should be about.
"Lacking" is not the same thing as "the elimination of". If I "lack" a sandwich, that doesn't mean I "eliminate" the concept of sandwiches or believe there are no such things as sandwiches. All it implies is that I do not possess a sandwich.

Likewise, lacking a belief in God makes you an atheist, and lacking a belief does not imply a belief in a negation of that belief or the elimination of it. I merely lack a belief.

"There is no god." = the negated, eliminative belief that corresponds to "There is a god."
Holding a "negative, eliminative belief" is not the same as lacking a belief.

If you believe there is a god you are a theist. If you believe there is no god you are an atheist if you "don't say. .." then you don't say what you are.
I think it could be more accurately worded to "I don't believe..." rather than "I don't say..." if that helps.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
"Lacking" is not the same thing as "the elimination of". If I "lack" a sandwich, that doesn't mean I eliminate the concept of sandwiches or believe there are no such things as sandwiches. All it implies is that I do not possess a sandwich.

Likewise, lacking a belief in God makes you an atheist, and lacking a belief does not imply a belief in a negation of that belief or the elimination of it. I merely lack a belief.

Holding a "negative, eliminative belief" is not the same as lacking a belief.

I think it could be more accurately worded to "I don't believe..." rather than "I don't say..." if that helps.
*smacks knee*
Now there's a discussion I would like to have. But I have to get back to work. Will respond later. :)