• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I see no value in atheism

Xaxyx

Fair enough, I have already stated I am fine with the various definitions, but let's just be aware that the inclusion of the I don't knows and the inapplicables is arbitrary.
It's not arbitrary. It's what the word means. There's really nothing more to it than that.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Fair enough, I have already stated I am fine with the various definitions, but let's just be aware that the inclusion of the I don't knows and the inapplicables is arbitrary. It comes from distinguishing atheist as not theist. We could just as well define atheist and theist as not atheist.

As long as we are aware of the consequences of the definitions that we use and set the parameters I think we are fine. It is pointless to quibble over the definitions of we are all aware of the semantic nuances.

But that said, if we are all chiming in on how things should be categorized banana is not to fruit what unknown is to negative.

:)
I'm confused. I have no problem with atheism being the opposite of theist. One holds a belief that God exist. The other does not hold a belief that God exists.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
The premise is belief in God, not God existing in reality (which is not on the table in this context). So, the positive and negative would be as follows ... remember the action which defines the term is "belief".
Positive = believing that God exists (anyone who holds the belief that God exists)
Negative = not believing that God exits (anyone who lacks a belief in God, including undecideds)
The premise is "there is a god."

The premise "belief in god" is a different horse.

Lots of conflating going on.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
The premise is "there is a god."

The premise "belief in god" is a different horse.

Lots of conflating going on.
Theism and Atheism have to do with the belief in the existence of God. They are are only based on a person's beliefs and are not limited by whether or not God ACTUALLY exists. They are merely based upon belief. That is the only defining factor, unless you can provide another.

Curious George

Veteran Member
It's not arbitrary. It's what the word means. There's really nothing more to it than that.
It adds no value to the term atheism, it unnecessarily expands term atheism, if we were to switch the defining term at least two thirds of the groups that fall into atheist would then fall to theist where they would add no value to that term.

Xaxyx

Is the opposite of happy angry?
An analogy I've on occasion tossed around is: positive integers; negative integers; and zero.

The "opposite" of a positive integer, arguably, is a negative integer; and vice versa.

But the more relevant term here would be "non-positive integers". That set includes both zero (analogous to weak atheists) and negative integers (analogous to strong atheists).

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Theism and Atheism have to do with the belief in the existence of God. They are are only based on a person's beliefs and are not limited by whether or not God ACTUALLY exists. They are merely based upon belief. That is the only defining factor, unless you can provide another.
No, the theist ACTUALLY believes in god.

Really.

ArtieE

I'm confused. I have no problem with atheism being the opposite of theist. One holds a belief that God exist. The other does not hold a belief that God exists.
A theist stands on one bank of the river. A "strong atheist" stands on the opposite bank. A "weak atheist" is in the middle of the river not knowing which bank to aim for.

Xaxyx

It adds no value to the term atheism, it unnecessarily expands term atheism, if we were to switch the defining term at least two thirds of the groups that fall into atheist would then fall to theist where they would add no value to that term.
Whether or not any value is contributed by the definition is a purely subjective viewpoint. The word means what it means. I'm sure someone far more qualified than me could speak toward its etymology.

As repeatedly mentioned, for purposes of clarification, additional terms have been established to further distinguish between two categories of atheists: strong; and weak. That these aren't singular words is hardly meaningful or important, I daresay. Describing someone as a strong atheist is sufficient, it would seem to me, to separate that person from another fellow who happens to be a weak atheist.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I would contend that one could reasonably describe one's emotional state as neither happy nor unhappy.
But if we define by the term happy unhappy the same way theist and atheist are herein defined we get that the state of being neither happy or unhappy as being unhappy. That makes sense how?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
A theist stands on one bank of the river. A "strong atheist" stands on the opposite bank. A "weak atheist" is in the middle of the river not knowing which bank to aim for.
I agree. But, would you agree that both the "strong" and "weak" are "atheists", by definition?