• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Like Guns!!!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Of course logically that's true, but mentally its not, its called post traumatic stress disorder, most people who are shot experience it. And you wouldn't understand it unless you were shot by someone.
Yeah, avoiding that experience is a good thing.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I remember when I use to shoot kangaroos I would smell the burnt flesh from the bullet, that's just what my bullet wound smelled like, I have never hurt another animal since, sorry I'm carrying on here lol.
I'm OK with threads meandering in interesting directions.
A friend described getting shot (in the Viet Nam war...on our side).
He said it was the most tired he ever felt (as his blood drained away).
It happened twice in 2 full tours.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I'm OK with threads meandering in interesting directions.
A friend described getting shot (in the Viet Nam war...on our side).
He said it was the most tired he ever felt (as his blood drained away).
It happened twice in 2 full tours.
Gee that was unlucky, the thing about war, is that you know there maybe a chance of being shot, not to diminish the experience, but when you are shot in your own country just going on with your own business, is a whole different experience, but of course both are just as bad.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Gee that was unlucky, the thing about war, is that you know there maybe a chance of being shot, not to diminish the experience, but when you are shot in your own country just going on with your own business, is a whole different experience, but of course both are just as bad.
One Viet Nam vet (Green Beret) I know was shot only once....when in his home town, Baltimore.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
One Viet Nam vet (Green Beret) I know was shot only once....when in his home town, Baltimore.
Now that would **** you off, going to war and not being shot, and shot when you are back in your home town, I bet that experience won't leave too soon, yes very sad that.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I live 2/3 of the year near Detroit and in an area that I have lived for 70 years now, and the violence and killing is mostly centered in the inner-city area. The area I that I live has one of the lowest homicide rates in the U.S. (20 safest cities) of cities over 100,000.
...OK.
But I'll bet you keep guns for protection, even if you can give other reasons for having them.
Other US RF members who live in 'safe;' areas tell us that they are going to stay armed, and keep guns for protection (in addition to any other uses). One member (in a safe area) takes his gun with him (a 380?) when out to dinner.
They would not feel safe without their guns, and that shows me a significant difference between your life-styles and most of ours in England. We have never needed to keep a weapon anywhere for safety in our lives.
It doesn't matter where you live in the US....... you are cobbled to guns forever.

4 years ago I (somehow) believed that the US could bring sensible regulation and control to gun ownership, but over that time it has become obvious that this can never, will never, happen......... but your quality of life is affected so severely.

I'm taking my wife's car to the garage in the town for a service in an hour, and I will cycle home on my fold-up bike. I will need my clothes, yet many Americans would probably feel quite naked in just that condition. Many would need a gun.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Not sure we're on the same page...
................ we are oceans apart....... :D
Your gun accident stats are horrible, only exceeded by your road-accident stats.
I've got slightly more chance of being attacked by an escaped pregnant anteater than being shot. :D

Curious George

Veteran Member
...OK.
But I'll bet you keep guns for protection, even if you can give other reasons for having them.
Other US RF members who live in 'safe;' areas tell us that they are going to stay armed, and keep guns for protection (in addition to any other uses). One member (in a safe area) takes his gun with him (a 380?) when out to dinner.
They would not feel safe without their guns, and that shows me a significant difference between your life-styles and most of ours in England. We have never needed to keep a weapon anywhere for safety in our lives.
It doesn't matter where you live in the US....... you are cobbled to guns forever.

4 years ago I (somehow) believed that the US could bring sensible regulation and control to gun ownership, but over that time it has become obvious that this can never, will never, happen......... but your quality of life is affected so severely.

I'm taking my wife's car to the garage in the town for a service in an hour, and I will cycle home on my fold-up bike. I will need my clothes, yet many Americans would probably feel quite naked in just that condition. Many would need a gun.
Despite your seemingly anti gun rhetoric, I think we agree on many things regarding personal safety: Training and observation being perhaps the most effective tools for self defense.

Please realize that many u.s. citizens have no guns, nor a need for them despite living in areas that most couldn't imagine living.

And while I own no guns, nor have ever needed them to feel safe, the thought of taking this choice from others based on unsafe behaviors of a few others is unreasonable. Imagine people suggesting outlawing football in Europe because of fighting, rioting, or destructive behavior of SOME football fans.

While you may not watch or like football, I would hope that you realize government should not needlessly intrude on your personal choices. How much more so this is true when those choices are tied to personal safety.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If the military unloads all it's ordinance upon the gun luvin citizenry, Who's going to fund them afterwards once the tax base is eliminated
Interesting how many 20th century regimes were built upon a population of citizens whose rights to arms were completely denied yet the regime remained.
who's going to be willing to work in any arms/ammo factory if the only one's around are those who don't like guns?
A very Marxian question.

Gun lovers don't build those underground bunkers for nutin!
There are "gun lovers", and then there are paranoid, delusional, idiotic morons who build such bunkers because they can't comprehend the stupidity and futility of such actions.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
................ we are oceans apart....... :D
Your gun accident stats are horrible, only exceeded by your road-accident stats.
I've got slightly more chance of being attacked by an escaped pregnant anteater than being shot. :D

Unless, of course, you're breaking into my house after dark.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
...OK.

I do not own a gun and never have, nor do I have any compulsion whatsoever to ever own one. I go into Detroit often, but I have never had a reason to feel I needed a gun.

However, I can understand why some may prefer to own and maybe carry a gun, especially depending on where they live and the conditions there. I am not anti-gun, but I am anti the massive proliferation of guns.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
...OK.

Do people who wear seat belts expect to be in a car crash?

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Despite your seemingly anti gun rhetoric, I think we agree on many things regarding personal safety: Training and observation being perhaps the most effective tools for self defense.

Please realize that many u.s. citizens have no guns, nor a need for them despite living in areas that most couldn't imagine living.

And while I own no guns, nor have ever needed them to feel safe, the thought of taking this choice from others based on unsafe behaviors of a few others is unreasonable. Imagine people suggesting outlawing football in Europe because of fighting, rioting, or destructive behavior of SOME football fans.

While you may not watch or like football, I would hope that you realize government should not needlessly intrude on your personal choices. How much more so this is true when those choices are tied to personal safety.
George......... there's no issue here.
You've got guns. You're stuck with guns.
It's never going to change.
You'll never be regulated.
So you know the stats, you know the risks, with any increase in gun injury or death %s by population.
So you live the life that you got dealt with.
But it's our call as well, living in other countries with less gun risks, and many of us would not wish for your particular situations. Life in Kent, England is much less fraught with gun risks, and our Police are so much more calm and caring in most 'stop' situations. In decades of thief catching for retailers many cops mistook me for the bad guy, struiggling with much more smart looking thieves in the streets, but no cop ever pulled a CS or pepper spray on me, or hit me with a stick. Now, in jolly old America I (I reckon) would have looked down gun barrels many times. There's no way I would ever have worked as an SD in the USA, or trained other SDs. No way.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Unless, of course, you're breaking into my house after dark.
Oh dear..... you lot..... you're so paranoid and skittish ! You're so....... scared!
The night some person busts into your home, get your gun, stand at the top of your stairs in your dressing gown (do you have stairs?) and when you see the shape of a person below (wherever) don't shoot your gun..... take control of yourself like an adult and call out something like 'You below! I am armed. If you do not turn and leave immediately I will shoot you!'
Give the person time to reply or leave. Shoot then, If you must.
The point is this.......
1. You have a much better defence for your actions.
2. You may save the life of some drunken idiot who thought the place was his.
3. Nobody.... absolutely nobody.... could fault your actions.

You lot....... you just live in fear, all the time. You're so scared of villains with guns.
That's sad.

PS. That was a wind up. Sorry! :D

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I do not own a gun and never have, nor do I have any compulsion whatsoever to ever own one. I go into Detroit often, but I have never had a reason to feel I needed a gun.

However, I can understand why some may prefer to own and maybe carry a gun, especially depending on where they live and the conditions there. I am not anti-gun, but I am anti the massive proliferation of guns.
Good answer Metis.
Good answer.
Fair enough.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Oh dear..... you lot..... you're so paranoid and skittish ! You're so....... scared!
The night some person busts into your home, get your gun, stand at the top of your stairs in your dressing gown (do you have stairs?) and when you see the shape of a person below (wherever) don't shoot your gun..... take control of yourself like an adult and call out something like 'You below! I am armed. If you do not turn and leave immediately I will shoot you!'
Give the person time to reply or leave. Shoot then, If you must.
The point is this.......
1. You have a much better defence for your actions.
2. You may save the life of some drunken idiot who thought the place was his.
3. Nobody.... absolutely nobody.... could fault your actions.

You lot....... you just live in fear, all the time. You're so scared of villains with guns.
That's sad.

PS. That was a wind up. Sorry! :D

Nah, I just want to shoot someone.