• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Human Animals?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
We've definitely got animal in us...
And this is the leading cause of indigestion...

animal-eat-drums.png

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Well God (possibly) gave us a big clue by us having so much DNA in common with other primates and to all other life, unless this was either simply a ruse (so naughty then - bad God!) or an example of someone/God making things (all of life) from what was available in stock, and hence why we have so much in common with other life. The most logical explanation usually shines through though - to most. :oops:

Erebus

We're multicellular organisms and we aren't plants or fungi. I'm no biologist but I don't think that leaves many options other than animal. Admittedly, I've met a couple of people who could well be slime molds but they're the exception rather than the rule.

I personally don't see us as more spiritually blessed than any other part of the universe. We just have a bit of an identity crisis when compared with the rest of our little planet.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Are humans really animals? Or are we some kind of Spiritually blessed non-animal entity?

Honestly, though, the other thread keeps making me think of this thread so I'm opening it up.

Come One, come All.
We can in our relationships do better than other animals, but it is a very tiny difference. We are a lot like other animals. Its hard to put my finger on the difference, but I know there is one. Perhaps it is our awareness. For one thing we each think of ourselves as separate from other people. There is not a lot of hive thinking though there is group thinking. We also wonder why we exist. I don't think other animals wonder about such things. Many would if they had the capacity.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
In what ways?
We can forgive, not merely forget or change our mood. Its not typical, but we can. I am trying to though it is a confusing and difficult process. Often we have forgive out of necessity, but it can also be done out of sheer discipline.

We also have unusual people, sometimes, who raise the standard of human treatment towards each other. A society can become a very pleasant and safe place.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
I know, right? :tearsofjoy:

Another question - why does modern, domesticated Western culture so often consider "animal" an insult, anyway? Geez... so speciesist...
It's actually pretty interesting. For instance skeptics of dehumanization say such rhetoric isn't inherently dehumanizing. An example would be sports teams: the broncos, the ravens, etc, or calling an athlete a bull.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I know, right? :tearsofjoy:

Another question - why does modern, domesticated Western culture so often consider "animal" an insult, anyway? Geez... so speciesist...
Though I do not think we should all become knuckle-draggers tomorrow, I do feel that being in denial over our ancestry is not helpful to our mental health as a species. Due to our intelligence, we have convinced ourselves that we are not a part of the animal "kingdom" which we otherwise adore. I wonder, has living in societies given us an unnatural sense of entitlement?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
And this is the leading cause of indigestion...

animal-eat-drums.png
Explains my terrible stomach ache last night...

Gotta lay off the drumsticks.
We can forgive, not merely forget or change our mood. Its not typical, but we can. I am trying to though it is a confusing and difficult process. Often we have forgive out of necessity, but it can also be done out of sheer discipline.
I think I've seen the dogs forgive each other after some terrible fights. I also had one cat hold 'infidelity' over another cat's head(even though she herself didn't understand this concept). I wonder if it depends on the animal and circumstance.

We also have unusual people, sometimes, who raise the standard of human treatment towards each other. A society can become a very pleasant and safe place.
We have those who do the opposite, too. :(

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
I think I've seen the dogs forgive each other after some terrible fights. I also had one cat hold 'infidelity' over another cat's head(even though she herself didn't understand this concept). I wonder if it depends on the animal and circumstance.
Dogs are bred to be childlike. They never truly mature. They also are irrationally loyal. They are creatures ruled by feelings. Doesn't mean they don't love us though. They do.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Though I do not think we should all become knuckle-draggers tomorrow, I do feel that being in denial over our ancestry is not helpful to our mental health as a species. Due to our intelligence, we have convinced ourselves that we are not a part of the animal "kingdom" which we otherwise adore. I wonder, has living in societies given us an unnatural sense of entitlement?
I dunno what a "knuckle-dragger" is, but domesticated humans are absolutely entitled - that's a byproduct of domestication. I wouldn't call it "unnatural" really, but humans thinking they're entitled to their domesticated living ways is... well, on the one hand it's kind of just adorable. On the other hand, it is incredibly ecologically destructive and has spiraled the planet into a sixth mass extinction event.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Dogs are bred to be childlike. They never truly mature. They also are irrationally loyal. They are creatures ruled by feelings. Doesn't mean they don't love us though. They do.
I don't know. I find them all the be pretty individual, though they do seem more emotional than other species I've been around(except perhaps people).