• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How old is the Universe? And what is future of the universe?

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
Really? I was never taught that. Actually, I didn't really even believe many people believed that when I joined RF and saw people talking about it, since it seemed so strange to me.

I can't Say about your church or school. But the past actions of the church are evidence enough for me.

4consideration

Premium Member
I studied my entire life in a Catholic school, from kindergarten to senior year.
And yes, that is their belief along with Adam and eve and other myths from the bible
From what I am finding, I don't see where the Catholic church has taken a position on the age of the earth.

If you have some source showing the Catholic church (I'm talking about RCC here) does teach a time frame, please post it here.

Here's what I'm finding:

"Much less has been defined as to when the universe, life, and man appeared. The Church has infallibly determined that the universe is of finite age—that it has not existed from all eternity—but it has not infallibly defined whether the world was created only a few thousand years ago or whether it was created several billion years ago."
http://www.catholic.com/tracts/adam-eve-and-evolution

In other locations, I've found some reference to Catholics being free to belief what they want about the age of the earth, but so far can find no official teaching on the matter.

4consideration

Premium Member
I can't Say about your church or school. But the past actions of the church are evidence enough for me.
Well, I was responding to you asserting as though someone was obligated to believe something (YEC) because it was your contention it was a teaching of the Catholic church, so I think it's fair to look closely at whether or not that is actually an official teaching.

I'm less likely to challenge someone thoughts or opinion, but when someone is telling another person what THEY believe, I think it bears examining closely. Wouldn't you closely examine what I said it if I started telling you what you believe, or should believe according to your religion?

Last edited:

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Pretty sure that's a Type Ia you're thinking of. (I watch a lot of SciShow Space.)
You're right. I was thinking that after I posted it.

How do you figure that being more likely?
I meant, more likely than a collision. It's most likely no collision at all and no companion. But between collision and binary, I suspect binary would be more likely. A collision would require a head on trajectory, while a companion would only require getting into the vicinity.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
You're right. I was thinking that after I posted it.

I meant, more likely than a collision. It's most likely no collision at all and no companion. But between collision and binary, I suspect binary would be more likely. A collision would require a head on trajectory, while a companion would only require getting into the vicinity.

Ah. Gotcha.

atanu

Premium Member
You don't have to speak solely from your religious views alone.
Various religions, philosophies and ideas give different timelines and theories about creation and it's future.
But do you take the timeline and theories given by your religion literally or figuratively?
Buddhism and Taoism deals less with creation and cosmic drama but focuses more on humanistic ethics and morals and is expected to evolve with time and new evidence based on research.
Hinduism gives different timelines. Some say the universe is 8.64 billion years old while Vedic calculations puts it at 155.05 trillion years back.
Science says the universe is around 14 billion years old.
What's your perspective?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativity_of_simultaneity

Even with Einstein we know of simultaneity: frames in relative motion can agree on the velocity of light only if they disagree on simultaneity; only the relativity of simultaneity makes possible the invariance of the velocity of light. The transformations between inertial frames that preserve the velocity of light will not preserve simultaneity.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/spacetime-iframes/

So, the question arises "Who is the observer of time?" Do we know for sure that there cannot be any other reference frame of observation, other than that of humans?

Last edited:

4consideration

Premium Member
What's your perspective?
(I just realized I hadn't yet responded with my perspective on the thread topic.)

I have no reason, or knowledge, with which to argue with current scientific estimations of around 14 billion years old. My personal guess would be to use a term like a bazillion.

As have been mentioned by some others, I don't see that it matters much in my daily life how old it is. The only time I even think or talk about it is here on RF.

Generally, I think just about everything goes through cycles of organization, growth, and death -- so I expect the earth and the universe may do that as well, at some point, eventually -- but I don't think I'll be here in this body when it happens.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
You don't have to speak solely from your religious views alone.
Various religions, philosophies and ideas give different timelines and theories about creation and it's future.
But do you take the timeline and theories given by your religion literally or figuratively?

Buddhism and Taoism deals less with creation and cosmic drama but focuses more on humanistic ethics and morals and is expected to evolve with time and new evidence based on research.

Hinduism gives different timelines. Some say the universe is 8.64 billion years old while Vedic calculations puts it at 155.05 trillion years back.

Science says the universe is around 14 billion years old.

What's your perspective?

Older than Jayhawker Soule's infected hair follicle pimple on his left butt cheek that he has not been able to mash in over 40 years.