• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How old is the Universe? And what is future of the universe?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
The galaxies might not collide. Some major event could happen that would alter one or the course of both.

"Some major event?" That's vague to the point of useless.

In the absence of any evidence that such a vague "major event" could occur, there's no reason to think the galaxies won't collide, since the light from Andromeda shows that she's heading right for us.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
For you.....
th

And here ya go...the proper air freshener for a Scot

069568.jpg

First Baseman

Retired athlete
"Some major event?" That's vague to the point of useless.

In the absence of any evidence that such a vague "major event" could occur, there's no reason to think the galaxies won't collide, since the light from Andromeda shows that she's heading right for us.

You mean that you can find no reason not to assume they will collide. Is there a 4th or 5th dimension? Could something from there affect this predicted collision? You really just don't know.

Are the galaxies really moving in the direction you think they are or has the space around or between them been warped? Again, you don't know, you just stick with your predicted assumption and hope you're right. But maybe you aren't. This is why science has to change itself around every decade or so.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Yep. If you were a prophet or an Apostle of Jesus I would believe you. Since you're not...

So, what do those apostles and prophets tell you about the age of the Universe that does not seem to be subject to the whim of the moment?

Ciao

- viole

Riverwolf

Premium Member
You mean that you can find no reason not to assume they will collide. Is there a 4th or 5th dimension? Could something from there affect this predicted collision? You really just don't know.

Are the galaxies really moving in the direction you think they are or has the space around or between them been warped? Again, you don't know, you just stick with your predicted assumption and hope you're right. But maybe you aren't. This is why science has to change itself around every decade or so.

As I am not a scientist, I go with whatever the current scientific consensus is. If that consensus changes based on new information, so will I with it.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Surprisingly, I cannot find a single example of haggis car air freshener on the internet!

That's because a REAL self-disrespecting Scot just hangs the Haggis from his mirror.

But back to the universe.... you will likely never know its age...because I am pretty sure it will lie about it, just like everyone else, when asked...

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
That's because a REAL Scot just hangs the Haggis from his mirror.

But back to the universe.... you will likely never know its age...because I am pretty sure it will lie about it, just like everyone else, when asked...

The Universe has no age.

Ciao

- viole

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
We actually do know. It will certainly be a chaotic sky, but the stars are so far apart that they most likely won't ever meet.
Most likely... means, we can't be sure if our solar system will survive or be thrown into a mix of other stars. That's my point of that we don't know. We could calculate it if we had all stars location, direction, and momentum, but we haven't even mapped more than some million stars in our galaxy. Until we have mapped all stars in our galaxy and all stars in Andromeda, can we foresee with better probability what will happen to our solar system and our dying star.

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,

When two cars are moving towards each other at 70 kmPh, what do you expect to occur?
A new dimension opening up?
A black hole sucking up the other car?

There's no evidence of other forces that can stop milky way and Andromeda from colliding for now.
If anything new shows up by evidence, m sure science will change its current view.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
When two cars are moving towards each other at 70 kmPh, what do you expect to occur?
A new dimension opening up?
A black hole sucking up the other car?
There's no evidence of other forces that can stop milky way and Andromeda from colliding for now.
If anything new shows up by evidence, m sure science will change its current view.
Since galaxies are largely empty space, they (unlike cars) will pass thru each other with most stars not colliding.
I hear predictions based upon simulations that they'll become a new galaxy (which I'm naming "Bleenistan").
meh.ro10782.gif

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
Since galaxies are largely empty space, they (unlike cars) will pass thru each other with most stars not colliding.
I hear predictions based upon simulations that they'll become a new galaxy (which I'm naming "Bleenistan").
meh.ro10782.gif

Stars are less likely to collide, but the galaxies will merge into one.
My point is about the obvious future of an event when other explanations aren't available

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Most likely... means, we can't be sure if our solar system will survive or be thrown into a mix of other stars. That's my point of that we don't know. We could calculate it if we had all stars location, direction, and momentum, but we haven't even mapped more than some million stars in our galaxy. Until we have mapped all stars in our galaxy and all stars in Andromeda, can we foresee with better probability what will happen to our solar system and our dying star.

"Some million" is a MASSIVE underestimation. More like some TRILLIONS.

Whether we get to stay in the new galaxy or get flung out into Deepest Space, that's something we don't know, but I don't think we have to worry about the orbits of our Solar System's objects.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
"Some million" is a MASSIVE underestimation. More like some TRILLIONS.
I think you misunderstood. The latest news I read was somewhere between 200 and 300 million stars mapped in 2014. And I don't think the majority of them have more than celestial position. The actual distance (using parallax) and radial velocity (using color shift) hasn't been done on all those.

You're free to prove me wrong. Is there a database with the parsecs and radial velocity somewhere with trillions of stars in it?

Whether we get to stay in the new galaxy or get flung out into Deepest Space, that's something we don't know, but I don't think we have to worry about the orbits of our Solar System's objects.
Worry? Didn't say I was worried. I just said that we don't know the destiny of our star that far in the future.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
I think you misunderstood. The latest news I read was somewhere between 200 and 300 million stars mapped in 2014. And I don't think the majority of them have more than celestial position. The actual distance (using parallax) and radial velocity (using color shift) hasn't been done on all those.

You're free to prove me wrong. Is there a database with the parsecs and radial velocity somewhere with trillions of stars in it?

http://asd.gsfc.nasa.gov/blueshift/index.php/2015/07/22/how-many-stars-in-the-milky-way/

Specifically, this paragraph:
"There are different models for estimating the number of stars in the Milky Way and the answers they give differ depending on what is used as the average mass of a star. The most common answer seems to be that there are 100 billion stars in the Milky Way on the low-end and 400 billion on the high end. But I’ve seen even higher numbers thrown around."​

Now, this does mean I stand somewhat corrected, in that I overestimated the current high end estimations. But here, even the low-end is significantly higher than merely millions.

Worry? Didn't say I was worried. I just said that we don't know the destiny of our star that far in the future.

At least not that part.