• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How old is the Universe? And what is future of the universe?

First Baseman

Retired athlete
For something arrived at so indirectly, & requiring so much technology,
it's impressive that both estimates are of the same order of magnitude.

I'm not impressed at all. Next week they might go back to 5 billion or boost it up to 23 billion. Who knows? It just shows how much you wish to depend upon a wild guess that is based on speculation.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But I'm old for a bear...besides I think it hung up one of those little tree car fresheners from its rear view mirror by the time I arrived
For you.....
th

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm not impressed at all. Next week they might go back to 5 billion or boost it up to 23 billion. Who knows? It just shows how much you wish to depend upon a wild guess that is based on speculation.
Even 23 bil is in the same range as 5 & 14.
Contrast this with biblically based estimates of 6K to 10K years.
Boy, oh boy.....it must be embarrassing to try to defend those claims.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
You don't have to speak solely from your religious views alone.
Various religions, philosophies and ideas give different timelines and theories about creation and it's future.
But do you take the timeline and theories given by your religion literally or figuratively?

Buddhism and Taoism deals less with creation and cosmic drama but focuses more on humanistic ethics and morals and is expected to evolve with time and new evidence based on research.

Hinduism gives different timelines. Some say the universe is 8.64 billion years old while Vedic calculations puts it at 155.05 trillion years back.

Science says the universe is around 14 billion years old.

What's your perspective?

My perspective is to not use the Lore at all, since it's pretty silent on this matter. My own myth for how the Universe was born is my own story that I came up with, and not represented anywhere in Lore. It absolutely is figurative, not literal.

Meanwhile, physicists have calculated the age of the Universe to be 13.8 billion years old. I'm willing to trust that those calculations are accurate.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

No, it is 13.8 billions years old. And if they claim otherwise in the future, I am going to write a holy book that fixes the age once and for all.

Problem solved.

Ciao

- viole

First Baseman

Retired athlete
Even 23 bil is in the same range as 5 & 14.
Contrast this with biblically based estimates of 6K to 10K years.
Boy, oh boy.....it must be embarrassing to try to defend those claims.

Not at all. Anyway, those claims are based on the generations from Adam to Jesus found in Matthew and the OT. The Bible never comes out and says "the earth is 6-10,000 years old." I'm afraid that is an assumption as well.

First Baseman

Retired athlete
No, it is 13.8 billions years old. And if they claim otherwise in the future, I am going to write a holy book that fixes the age once and for all.

Problem solved.

Ciao

- viole

Well, unless you are as well read as Einstein or Newton no one will care what you write. Problem still there.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Not at all. Anyway, those claims are based on the generations from Adam to Jesus found in Matthew and the OT. The Bible never comes out and says "the earth is 6-10,000 years old." I'm afraid that is an assumption as well.
This is why I used the carefully worded "bibically based" to refer to those who reason from Bible based premises.
You see.....I'm familiar with what many believers say, but I don't claim anything about what's in the Bible (having never read it).

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
About 20 years ago they said it was only 5 billion years old. That's not bad. According to them they had only missed it by 8 billion years!

That's the difference between science and Catholic apologetics.
One evolves with new evidence while the other dodges the question entirely.

First Baseman

Retired athlete
This thread is about personal ideas or theories.
What you've stated sounds like you're dodging it. Your religious views might have an opinion on it.

Everybody has an opinion on it. What no one has is a definite answer. And, like I said, we've got enough problems in the present to worry about the past.

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,

No, it simply makes silly reasons such as creating everything out of nothing. Making earth first which was filled with water, making light first then the Sun. Making plants before making the Sun.
Etc.
And Adam and eve are a highly unlikely scenario unless incest makes excellent babies. ;)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I don't use scriptures as science books... It's just the possibility I hold and will believe if proven.
Christian claim of 6000 years is proven false..
I don't know about the Islamic ones.
But since the Hindu version of 8.64 billion too is prove false, I'll stick too 14 billion years too but also keep an open mind about 155.05 trillion years. :)
The life of Brahma, per various Hindu scriptures is much longer than the age of the universe. It's reasonable to assume that the universe is created and ends many times during Brahma's life.