• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How old is the Universe? And what is future of the universe?

First Baseman

Retired athlete
So, you are on a "how old is the universe" forum to tell us that it didn't matter since it doesn't matter in your religion?
Actually 6000-10000 years, fyi. :)

No, if you look at the question I was asked you will find that you are totally out of context in your post. It happens.

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
No, if you look at the question I was asked you will find that you are totally out of context in your post. It happens.

Your first reply to this thread was
"I don't worry about the past. It's done and gone. Today and tomorrow are what count."

Then later you said that 20 years ago, science believed it was just 5 billion years old. All the while dodging the actual question entirely and then you caught up in your personal discussions with others on how top notch your bible is.
And at last, still no answer.
Because the past doesn't matter... Unless it's Jesus!

Subhankar Zac

Since when is Catholicism a young earth creationist religion?

Since it stated saying that those who would believe that the earth is flat and it revolves aroux the Sun, will be burnt alive.
Example: Giordano Bruno.
To keep young Catholics in, they have to adopt new beliefs though.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
http://asd.gsfc.nasa.gov/blueshift/index.php/2015/07/22/how-many-stars-in-the-milky-way/

Specifically, this paragraph:
"There are different models for estimating the number of stars in the Milky Way and the answers they give differ depending on what is used as the average mass of a star. The most common answer seems to be that there are 100 billion stars in the Milky Way on the low-end and 400 billion on the high end. But I’ve seen even higher numbers thrown around."​

Now, this does mean I stand somewhat corrected, in that I overestimated the current high end estimations. But here, even the low-end is significantly higher than merely millions.
And my point was that we don't have the distance nor speed on the majority of them, and we don't for the Andromeda galaxy either.

If we would have a complete 3D map with the metrics of their vectors, for both galaxies, we could make some estimates on the chances of our star colliding or not. But we're only in the beginning of making the map for the closest 1 billion stars, about half-way, I guess on that endeavor alone.

So until we have all the stars plotted in a 3D chart with direction and speed, we can only guess what the future will be for our star.

--- edit

It will however be really cool with the Gaia map in a few years. Imagine the games we could have? Real star maps!

First Baseman

Retired athlete
Your first reply to this thread was
"I don't worry about the past. It's done and gone. Today and tomorrow are what count."

Then later you said that 20 years ago, science believed it was just 5 billion years old. All the while dodging the actual question entirely and then you caught up in your personal discussions with others on how top notch your bible is.
And at last, still no answer.
Because the past doesn't matter... Unless it's Jesus!

My friend, Jesus is the present and the future.

4consideration

Premium Member
It isn't. Don't try to stereotype people according to their denomination, you'll often be wrong. Not all Catholics believe exactly the same things.
I'm not stereo-typing. I'm asking him why he is presuming to tell you that your religion believes the earth is between 6,000-10,000 years old. Your religion field says Catholic. I grew up Catholic and went to 8 years of Catholic school, and I can say without a doubt the charge that the Catholic church believes or teaches the earth to be 6-10 thousand years old is laughable.

I was never taught that.

Last edited:

First Baseman

Retired athlete
Since it stated saying that those who would believe that the earth is flat and it revolves aroux the Sun, will be burnt alive.
Example: Giordano Bruno.
To keep young Catholics in, they have to adopt new beliefs though.

Wrong. Actually the new pope believes most of the secular scientific theories of the day.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
And my point was that we don't have the distance nor speed on the majority of them, and we don't for the Andromeda galaxy either.

If we would have a complete 3D map with the metrics of their vectors, for both galaxies, we could make some estimates on the chances of our star colliding or not. But we're only in the beginning of making the map for the closest 1 billion stars, about half-way, I guess on that endeavor alone.

It's mostly because of the sheer scales involved, that it's a pretty safe bet that Sun will not collide with other stars.

Sure, it could happen, but it's unlikely.

First Baseman

Retired athlete
I'm not stereo-typing. I'm asking him why he is presuming to tell you that your religion believes the earth is between 6,000-10,000 years old. Your religion field says Catholic. I grew up Catholic and went to 8 years of Catholic school, and I can say without a doubt the charge that the Catholic church believes or teaches the earth to be 6-10 thousand years old is laughable.

OKay.

First Baseman

Retired athlete

OKay.
But not mine.
And if you are here to troll, mention that before you engage in a discussion.
Cut to the point and give a straight answer, not involving any deity or Good night. :)

I can give any answer I wish or that I desire to. I can cut to the point or take my time about it. You'll just have to suck it up and deal with it because this isn't your site.

And it's still daytime around here. :D

Subhankar Zac

I studied my entire life in a Catholic school, from kindergarten to senior year.
And yes, that is their belief along with Adam and eve and other myths from the bible

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
It's mostly because of the sheer scales involved, that it's a pretty safe bet that Sun will not collide with other stars.

Sure, it could happen, but it's unlikely.
I'd say it's more likely we end with a companion. A double star. Then, eventually, when our star is a white dwarf, we could pull (depending on the twin) mass from the other star, and then collapse and become a novae (type II, I think it was).

If we don't go binary and suck up the other star, we would have a black dwarf at the end.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I'd say it's more likely we end with a companion. A double star. Then, eventually, when our star is a white dwarf, we could pull (depending on the twin) mass from the other star, and then collapse and become a novae (type II, I think it was).

Pretty sure that's a Type Ia you're thinking of. (I watch a lot of SciShow Space.)

How do you figure that being more likely?

Subhankar Zac

I can give any answer I wish or that I desire to. I can cut to the point or take my time about it. You'll just have to suck it up and deal with it because this isn't your site.

And it's still daytime around here. :D

Finally! Admission of trolling... Maybe I was wrong about you a bit this far.
And no, it's night time here.

4consideration

Premium Member
I studied my entire life in a Catholic school, from kindergarten to senior year.
And yes, that is their belief along with Adam and eve and other myths from the bible
Really? I was never taught that. Actually, I didn't really even believe many people believed that when I joined RF and saw people talking about it, since it seemed so strange to me. I come from a very large Catholic family, and grew up in a location with a dense Catholic population, and I don't recall any Catholics I know expressing such a belief regarding the earth being young like that.