• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How old is the Universe? And what is future of the universe?

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
You don't have to speak solely from your religious views alone.
Various religions, philosophies and ideas give different timelines and theories about creation and it's future.
But do you take the timeline and theories given by your religion literally or figuratively?

Buddhism and Taoism deals less with creation and cosmic drama but focuses more on humanistic ethics and morals and is expected to evolve with time and new evidence based on research.

Hinduism gives different timelines. Some say the universe is 8.64 billion years old while Vedic calculations puts it at 155.05 trillion years back.

Science says the universe is around 14 billion years old.

What's your perspective?

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
I'll go with 13.8 billion, and I don't really think it's best to use scriptures as if they are science books.

I don't use scriptures as science books... It's just the possibility I hold and will believe if proven.
Christian claim of 6000 years is proven false..
I don't know about the Islamic ones.
But since the Hindu version of 8.64 billion too is prove false, I'll stick too 14 billion years too but also keep an open mind about 155.05 trillion years. :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
After the Big Bang, these epochs happened within 1 x 10 raised to power -6 seconds: Planck epoch, Grand unification epoch, Inflationary epoch, Electroweak epoch, Primordial era and Quark epoch. Then came the Hadron epoch which lasted till one second after Big Bang. Next, Lepton epoch lasted till about 10 seconds after the Big Bang. Nucleosynthesis lasted till 20 minutes after the Big Bang, Photon epoch lasted for 379,000 years at the end of which came recombination which created the first Hydrogen atoms. This was followed by Stelliferous era. All this does not mean that the universe came into existence 13.8 billion years ago since we do not know from what Big Bang arose. As for future, there are various theories but nobody knows for sure. The most probable is heat-death of universe when it expands so much that the temperature comes down to Absolute Zero and all activity ceases. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_fate_of_the_universe)

Last edited:

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't use scriptures as science books... It's just the possibility I hold and will believe if proven.
Christian claim of 6000 years is proven false..
I don't know about the Islamic ones.
But since the Hindu version of 8.64 billion too is prove false, I'll stick too 14 billion years too but also keep an open mind about 155.05 trillion years. :)
Where does it say that the universe is 8.64 billion years old? From what I've seen, the 'oldness' of the universe has never been stated. Only the length of the universe.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Where does it say that the universe is 8.64 billion years old? From what I've seen, the 'oldness' of the universe has never been stated. Only the length of the universe.
Here for example. This and other decent sources (including Wikipedia) are pretty easy to find on the internet. All one needs to do is run a search on "age of the universe.

So, how old? Current science says 13.799 ± 0.021 billion years.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Here for example. This and other decent sources (including Wikipedia) are pretty easy to find on the internet. All one needs to do is run a search on "age of the universe.

So, how old? Current science says 13.799 ± 0.021 billion years.
I was referring to our scriptures. Thank you for the link though, i will read it :)

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Sure doesn't say anything about our universe being 8 billion years old. It says this though, which I already knew. 'We are currently believed[13] to be in the 51st year of the present Brahma's life and so about 158.7 trillion years have supposedly elapsed since the birth of Brahma.' I wonder how primordial our universe is...

I think it was a matter of calculations done by sages, then passed down. I could be wrong though... it happens. :p

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I believe science got it right. Some 13 billion years old. And the future is that the heat from the expanding red giant sun in 100,000,000 years will erase all chances of life on this planet, and if humans still exists, we're living on some distant planets or asteroids. Then, in 4 billion years, things will be chaotic when our galaxy collides with Andromeda. Not sure how that will go. Then trillions years later, ... I don't know what will be then.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Various religions, philosophies and ideas give different timelines and theories about creation and it's future.
But do you take the timeline and theories given by your religion literally or figuratively?

Buddhism and Taoism deals less with creation and cosmic drama but focuses more on humanistic ethics and morals and is expected to evolve with time and new evidence based on research.

Hinduism gives different timelines. Some say the universe is 8.64 billion years old while Vedic calculations puts it at 155.05 trillion years back.

What's your perspective?
I hear people talk.
Some (science geeks) are much more credible than others (Bible thumpers).
But I don't know.
It's something to consider, but I don't know, & don't need to.

First Baseman

Retired athlete
About 20 years ago they said it was only 5 billion years old. That's not bad. According to them they had only missed it by 8 billion years!

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson

What's your perspective?

My perspective is that it is older than me, and I know this because it was here when I arrived, beyond that, it does not really much matter to me.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
About 20 years ago they said it was only 5 billion years old. That's not bad. According to them they had only missed it by 8 billion years!
For something arrived at so indirectly, & requiring so much technology,
it's impressive that both estimates are of the same order of magnitude.