• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Much of an Impact Will Your Death Bring?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
One of my regular customers died this week. With no known immediate concerns to his health, he was apparently found dead on his couch in a 'TV watching position.' The regulars with which he frequented my establishment, while showing interest in discussion the death, showed little sadness, other than one saying that he's in a better place because we live in hell, to which I replied, "You can't be in hell. You're holding ice cream [which I had just served him] in both hands."

Which led me to wonder what kind of an impact I would leave if my body were to expire.
  • My daughter is nearly grown and is quite self-sufficient, so while I'm sure she'd be sad, her day-to-day life would experience minimal consequence.
  • I have already trained my successor to take over my position at work, so she would likely be promoted and the company would just have to settle for the next best manager trainer.
  • My best friend and her kids might show some disappointment for varied reasons, but they would likely carry on unfazed.
  • The RF staff would be shaken to its very core, and many may question the fate of the forum...or for vast majority that don't share in my narcissistic perspective...they'd have to find another victim to oversee the deep and thoughtful insights of the membership here.
But yeah, that's pretty much it. I'll likely be found dead in a similar scenario in front of my computer desk on my laptop suffering from some malady brought on by an RF post that left me in stunned silence for reasons well-known.

To quote Louis Prima, life goes on without me.

What impact would your sudden passing have on this reality? Are those that surround you ready for the experience?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
One of my regular customers died this week. With no known immediate concerns to his health, he was apparently found dead on his couch in a 'TV watching position.' The regulars with which he frequented my establishment, while showing interest in discussion the death, showed little sadness, other than one saying that he's in a better place because we live in hell, to which I replied, "You can't be in hell. You're holding ice cream [which I had just served him] in both hands."

Which led me to wonder what kind of an impact I would leave if my body were to expire.
  • My daughter is nearly grown and is quite self-sufficient, so while I'm sure she'd be sad, her day-to-day life would experience minimal consequence.
  • I have already trained my successor to take over my position at work, so she would likely be promoted and the company would just have to settle for the next best manager trainer.
  • My best friend and her kids might show some disappointment for varied reasons, but they would likely carry on unfazed.
  • The RF staff would be shaken to its very core, and many may question the fate of the forum...or for vast majority that don't share in my narcissistic perspective...they'd have to find another victim to oversee the deep and thoughtful insights of the membership here.
But yeah, that's pretty much it. I'll likely be found dead in a similar scenario in front of my computer desk on my laptop suffering from some malady brought on by an RF post that left me in stunned silence for reasons well-known.

What impact would your sudden passing have on this reality? Are those that surround you ready for the experience?
My friends and family would be extremely sad. Not sure about the family cat. She would likely complain about the absence of her daily fish ration during the 13 days of mourning.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Far as I understand nobodies death has much of an impact. It is the life that you lead that will make an impact. The people you influenced and your offspring. If someone writes a book about you or makes a movie your impact will be greater. When I think of Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr or John F Kennedy I don't remember their deaths but what they did that impressed me and influenced me. Same for my Grandfather it is his actions that I remember not his death, I am the man I am partly because of him.

So my death will not have much of an impact but I strive to make sure my life does.

atanu

Premium Member

The world will be shattered, if I were to die, but my death is an impossibility. I will try to explain.

Kamadeva - Wikipedia

.......Other names used in reference to Kamadeva are Manmatha/Manmathudu (one who agitates), Atanu (one without a body),......

.......hence Kamadeva is also called Ananga (an- = without; anga = body, "bodiless"), or Atanu (a- = without; tanu = body). The spirit of love embodied by Kama is now disseminated across the cosmos: afflicting humanity with the creation of lust.......

I simply cannot be killed.

Ha Ha.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's hard to say. I hope I am good enough at my job to leave a "wake of tears and sadness." I know my parents would be absolutely devastated. And the in-game town where I LARP would be down one of it's most effective guards, one of its best fighters, and its best strategist, and the towns defenses would fall apart and possibly crumble. A few friends would be sad (I suspect it would be fairly hard on one just because she has already lost so many close friends).
But, yes, life would go on, and my absence filled, and I would eventually be forgotten entirely.

Kapalika

Premium Member
They probably wouldn't find my body for weeks if not days After a certain point of decay getting eaten by hungry cats that were out of food long enough is a real possibility.

How people would feel, should they even find out I'd have no idea.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The world will be shattered, if I were to die, but my death is an impossibility. I will try to explain.

I simply cannot be killed.

Ha Ha.

While my views align with yours, I was speaking of temporal death, which is why I used the phrasing "if my body were to expire."

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher

Nothing....I will fade in obscurity.

David T

Premium Member

SalixIncendium,
A man once died an annonomous death. At one point in his life he made a decision and took action. Now the rest of his life was impacted in a negative way on making that decision. It cost him social and I am sure financial difficulties because of that decision and action. He went to his grave as an anonymous nobody one more nobody amongst a very large herd of nobodies. Now his life looking at it on the surface would be just this sort of nothing life. Nothing done just lived. Curiously The entire history of civilization literally pivoted on the one annonomous decision he had made. His decision impacted deeply without him ever knowing it. The lesson of this story is, it's not in the seen acts that is truth but it is in the smallest invisible actions where all truth is. That is a fact.

The man, taught us what is the right thing to do. Before him, his culture stoned women to death for becoming pregnant out of wedlock. After him it became a something we should not do. Today we know that to be true because of him and that tiny unheralded annomous act. His name is Joseph, I am a carpenter, he is the Saint Of carpenters. While Christianity fawns about nonsensically like some fantasy drive airhead I just love Joseph, the dude rocks keep it real. Is he fact or is he fiction? As people fawn in airhead fashion on such questions either way history pivoted on Joseph on this one tiny topic on killing pregnant women. He kept it real.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I'll never know. My wife can dispose of my body as she sees fit.

David T

Premium Member

Same as Al gore's.. Wait I have a way smaller carbon foot print so his death will have a greater positive impact!!!

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

My husband has a lot of anxiety about my passing, he would be lost and devastated. I can't vouch that he wouldn't have a nervous breakdown.

My job, I could not care less. It's not my life, not my circus or my monkeys, not my problem.

I really don't have any friends to speak of.

My family would be upset but life would go on.

To that end, I've said I don't want any sort of wake or memorial. My body is to be cremated and the ashes tossed into a river or the ocean. If anyone wants to attend that, ok. Ideally the whole thing would be in Hindu tradition, sending my ashes FedEx or DHL to India for someone to perform the immersion. My niece said she would take my ashes, always having wanted to see India. I said "wait, you'll wait for me to die so you can take my ashes to India and go on vacation there!?" She said "yeah, pretty much". So I called her a... well, you can figure it out. :D

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I read an article about a month ago about what the last feeling one has before they die. Beforehand, I had a nightmare that I was drowning and right before my death, I felt at peace. My body and heart startled me awake. In the article, it mentions the same peace as all the body functions go.

If I go that way, I hope the last thing I say is that my body is at peace. Our minds go on so in that respect I havent died but transitioned. My immediate family would hurt. A few not as long as others. I have grieved and its worse than my seizures and chronic depression combined but thank gosh acute.

Life goes on without me. If there is life after death it must be in the minds of those who believe it. Here is a nice video:

What we tell ourselves about death

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I always have a feeling I will pass before "my time." Not because in statistics they say those with epilepsy will live a lesser life span. Im sure thats true of all those suffrring from hronic illnesses. I had a dream where I actually drowned. I was at peace vor ten seconds when my pounding heart (real heart) woke md up. Who knows. I could have died in my sleep. Or in a car crash since I dont drive and walk everywhere dodging cars.

I think it would kil my father. He has liver disease. Im keeping him going. Then my mother. Shed probably take her life given my brother disowned her and tried to catch himself on fire. I say hi about three years ago fro i dont know how long and tbe first thing we asked was, "I thought you were dead already?"

My other brother took care of my sanity. He may experience a blow. The my sister. My other sister barely talks to me. If my friend found out shed probably shrug to confession. My best friend would break down.

If we were taught dying is a part of living, I think our view of attachment would change. I rather people cry for how i die not my death. You can help the pain but crying wont help the dying.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I always have a feeling I will pass before "my time." Not because in statistics they say those with epilepsy will live a lesser life span. Im sure thats true of all those suffering from chronic illnesses. I had a dream where I actually drowned. I was at peace for ten seconds when my pounding heart (real heart) woke md up. Who knows. I could have died in my sleep. Or in a car crash since I dont drive and walk everywhere dodging cars.

I think it would kill my father. He has liver disease. Im keeping him going. Then my mother. Shed probably take her life given my brother disowned her and tried to catch himself on fire. I saw him about three years ago from I dont know how long and the first thing we asked was, "I thought you were dead already?"

My other brother took care of my sanity. He may experience a blow. Then my sister. My other sister barely talks to me. If my friend found out shed probably shrug to confession. My best friend would break down.

If we were taught dying is a part of living, I think our view of attachment would change. I rather people cry for how I die not my death. You can help the pain but crying wont help the dying.

Last edited: